Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

MAJOR PUBLISHERS

Go down 
+13
Abe F. March
Carol Troestler
dkchristi
Brenda Hill
kdu
E. Don Harpe
dtpollard
LC
Domenic Pappalardo
Shelagh
Dick Stodghill
Helen Wisocki
alice
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 9:38 am

And I you, Alice my dear. Been very busy with the move, trying to make the transition from our own house to living with our daughter. (At least for now.) And of course I've been working on the novel that I'm writing with Phil, as well as the script that I've been (asked, chosen, commissioned) to write.

This is our second week here, and I'm beginning to adjust, so perhaps I'll get my time back to where I can use it wisely.

Thanks for keeping me on your mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 9:40 am

Kdu's piece is spot-on, IMO, just unfortunate that he tried to pass off a rock star's photo as his own. Smile
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 9:51 am

kdu wrote:
That is because the article is full of crap. At best, the author is naive and full of half truths, at worst, he is lying. I'll go with naive.

First, where this article is published has no bearing on it's correctness. It could have been published in the New Yorker and it still would have been wrong.

I wrote the author and expressed these points. I made sure to let him know my name and my list of books: Why let him know and not us?

1. The author here confuses marketing and promotion, which overlap but are not the same thing. Marketing is what a house's marketing department does: gets the book in front of chain buyers and distributors, places ads in relevant journals. It is in the house's best interest to market the book to the best of their ability, to make back the money they spent on editing and production.

Houses promote a book based on projected sales figures, with known quantities getting the most money and rest of the list getting the rest of the money, evenly divided. A book that exceeds sales expectations means that the author's next book will have a larger budget.

Houses market their books for a year, at least. After that, it is still marketed, but not as much because by 12-18 months they should have made their money back. The book remains in the house's catalog ("Big chain buyer if you like this book, you'll like this book" or "This author sold XXXX amount of his last book. You may be interested in his next book").

A season is way too short for the marketing of a novel. He has this confused with magazines where a season is a very long time indeed.

Promotion is things like an author's website, his twitter feed, blog and swag. They can be part of marketing or compliment but it is not the the same thing.

2. This is argument is counter intuitive; So a publisher goes through all the effort to buy your book, edit it and put it through production only to to do no PR on it? Really? Think about that. Does that makes business sense at all?

3. Book tours are never specified in contracts. It's all rolled up in marketing. If an author wants to do one on his own, that's fine. The publisher will help by arranging signings and sending stock ahead for you.

If your house wants to send you out on tour, you can turn it down. Some will for health reasons but it is your interest to do so. It helps sales and it benefits you the author because you get to meet the strangers who are buying your books. A win win for everyone.

4. Eventually, as time passes, your novel will slide down the publisher's list and may even get to the point where you think you should get your rights back.

Every book contract has an out of print clause. For example, if a book fails to sell 300 copies in two consecutive quarters, the author can demand a new edition (complete with new marketing, etc) or have his rights reverted.

Buying your rights back is very, very rare. If a book stops selling, a publisher will revert the rights back to you. Its in everyone's best interests.

5. Rights of first refusal are very rare and reserved for very big sellers. I would never agree to such a deal because what happens if a second house wants to pay more for my new novel? Contracts can have deals for multiple books, which is negotiated in advance and has an out clause (the first book didn't sell, you decided to quit writing and become a monk, etc).

6. The fact the author of the article cites his experiences from the 80's should the major tip off that's all is not up and up. Much has a changed since then. The arguments about the totem pole are all irrelevant to the discussion.

Sure, a house, like any business, puts its profit margins first, but to say that a house isn't always acting your best interest is incorrect; a house succeeds when it's authors succeed. It is in their interest to treat their authors with respect. For example, google random house+scam, or Baen + complaints. See what you get.

The big houses are very flexible, because they have more resources than a small press. If they see your book is selling well (in let's say Boise, Idaho) chances are they will exploit this by maybe arranging an interview for you with a local radio station.

As for turnover, eh, it happens, but not as often as it once did and sure, it can be bad, especially in the middle of the production process, but that can happen with any size press.

In short, it seems the writer of this piece seems to have an axe to grind and by doing so, is giving out non-useful advice.

To answer a poster's question: what is the benefit of a big house? Your book in every Barnes and Noble and Borders. And a non-trivial advance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 am

kdu, you are a half-truth. Your words would have more credence if you didn't use all these pseudonyms.

Of course, you know an award winning editor who can keep you up to date with all the modern trends.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:19 am

Shelagh, do all those names come from the same IP?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:27 am

Oh, yes.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:34 am

LC,

Writers have fingerprints. When you hear the same old, same old, you can tell where it is coming from.

He can never tell us what he wrote --just let us know it was better than what we did.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 am

Shelagh wrote:
Oh, yes.

Well, that's just weird.

Kdu/cturkel/etc., what's your problem?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:45 am

He ended the Author's Society.

We got so sick of his printing and publishing diatribes, we all ran away.

Ignore him --he has a vacant mind -- obsessive , compulsive in the exterme.

He hasn't had a new idea for years. When he does I will be glad to hear it.

Last edited by Alice on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:48 am

Alice wrote:
He ended the Author's Society.

We got so sick of his printing and publishing diatribes, we ran away.

Oh, ok, the infamous Author's Society. Sounds like it was quite a place, lol.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:57 am

It was until he got going and would not quit.
Back to top Go down
ann

PostSubject: editor blog   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 7:16 am

If anyone is looking for more insights into the publishing business, you might want to check out this blog:

The woman who writes it currently works in the industry, and I have found many useful bits of information. For example, she recently posted about why writers should make their delivery dates for manuscripts because of what has to happen to them after that.

A lot of her posts are just for fun (she calls herself Moonrat and her mother Momrat), but mixed in are some serious posts.
Back to top Go down
ann

PostSubject: editor blog   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 am

Sorry! I don't know why my cut and paste didn't show up, but here is the URL:
Back to top Go down
ann

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 7:21 am

This is really not working! One more time.

editorialass.blogspot

just put the dot com on the end
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 pm

I enjoyed kdu's post, as I did on AS. I didn't see where he said his writing was better than anyone's here. He simply disagreed with the article and gave the reasons why.

I'm certainly glad that in the beginning, when I was first learning to write, I was in the company of writers who knew publishing with the majors could be achieved rather than listen to some of you here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:17 pm

Of course publishing with the majors can be achieved. How else would they survive without any authors? Dick knows some major-published authors; so do you, Brenda. I don't -- apart from my husband being published by Elsevier (a New York publisher, I believe, plus a few other locations:
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/contact.cws_home/locations ).

"As the world’s leading publisher of science and health information,
Elsevier serves more than 30 million scientists, students, and health
and information professionals worldwide."

But, then again, what do I know?

Last edited by Shelagh on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Of course publishing with the majors can be achieved. How else would they survive without any authors? Dick knows some major-published authors; so do you, Brenda. I don't -- apart from my husband being published by Elsevier (a New York publisher, I believe, plus a few other locations:
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/contact.cws_home/ ).

and information professionals worldwide.

The sycophant in me says, Everything!

Last edited by Alice on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Shelagh wrote:

That's because I made it my business to know. I wanted to to become a published author, and at that time, there were only the majors and the vanity presses, so I sought authors with the majors, traveled to join their groups, took lessons, went to conferences and listened to agents and publishers, and learned everything I could about the business. When friends took vacations, I spent time in classes learning my chosen craft.

As in anything meaningful in life, it takes time and effort. But to those of you who have the dream, yes, it can be done. Never let anyone else's discouragement discourage you.

Last edited by Brenda Hill on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Brenda, I hope and pray that you do get published by a major house at some point in time. The odds are not in your favor, but then you know that.

We've (you and I and a few others here) have been batting this topic around on various boards for the past couple of years, and it doesn't seem as if any of us are any closer to that big deal than we were in the beginning. Not me, not you.

I'm sorry, Brenda, but I have to think that if the major deal doesn't happen in the next year or two for you that you will be in a much worse mental state over your writing than those of us who have already accepted that the reality doesn't look all that good for it to ever happen.

At what point in time will you re-evaluate your situation and decide to go with something that works? How old will you have to be, and at what stage of your off track career path will you move on? Not give up, nobody is suggesting that you do that, but at what point in time will you decide that your books are actually good enough to be read by at least a handful of readers and just go ahead and put them out there?

How long will you be satisfied to write an article here and there, a short story now and then, and leave your true works on some computer drive somewhere, never to see the light of day?

I seriously do hope you get that major deal, and it is a complete downer to say that I doubt that it will ever happen, but that is the truth. Just as much as I doubt that my work will ever attract anyone other than those that know it now.

Over the years, and mostly in the music business, I've seen many talented writers fail to sign on the dotted line with a company that can actually do something for them. I've seen less talented writers with songs that are not nearly as good, have hit after hit, while others just didn't make it. From what I can tell it is the same way in the book business.

I had some three or four songs published and recorded by a couple of name acts, and they all made me some money. I then chose not to let the rest of my work lay on my desk, and I had quite a lot more recorded. By less well known acts, and they didn't make the charts and they didn't make me a lot of money, but they were played on the radio, and got a lot of critically great reviews, and they did pay a few bills.

I, along with some of the others here, have chosen to do the same with my books. I want them to be on the market, even though it's a given that the market is not exactly what I'd like, but I'd rather have them there than gathering dust.

You are a talented writer. You've worked and studied, and learned the craft, and deserve to sign that major deal. But what a shame it will be if you never publish your work. How deprived some readers will be, and how sad it might make you. I hope it comes, but if not in another year or so, I think you should go ahead and make the best you can out of a bad situation.

I'm not asking that you quit, or give up, or stop chasing that dream. I'm suggesting that you start making plans for what you will do if the dream doesn't happen. Listen to me, don't listen to me, your choice. But I'm proud to be part of that group that you say you're glad you didn't listen to.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm

Alice wrote:
Shelagh wrote:
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/contact.cws_home/ ).

and information professionals worldwide.

The sycophant in me says, Everything!
Flattery will get you everywhere. flower
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:41 pm

By the way, Ann has some great advice. She knows what she is talking about, and her plan has seemed to work for her.

My advice to those of you who think you have to sign a major publishing contract in order for you writing to be validated, please ask Ann one question.

Ask her if she can absolutely, positively, 100% assure you that if you follow her advice to the letter that you will be signed to a major contract, and whether or not she can assure you that you will become a rich and famous bestselling author.

If Ann is as smart as I think she is, she will tell you that the truth is that nobody can make that statement.

Some people work hard, do all the right things, have plenty of talent, and never make it. Some, with no visible talent at all, very little hard work, and with very little effort, do make it. That is the truth of the matter, and if anyone could come up with a formula that worked every time, they'd be billionaires overnight.

How about it, Ann. Can you make Brenda that guarantee?

And if you can, can I sign up?

Last edited by E. Don Harpe on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:42 pm

E. Don Harpe wrote:
Brenda, I hope and pray that you do get published by a major house at some point in time. The odds are not in your favor, but then you know that.

We've (you and I and a few others here) have been batting this topic around on various boards for the past couple of years, and it doesn't seem as if any of us are any closer to that big deal than we were in the beginning. Not me, not you.

I'm sorry, Brenda, but I have to think that if the major deal doesn't happen in the next year or two for you that you will be in a much worse mental state over your writing than those of us who have already accepted that the reality doesn't look all that good for it to ever happen.

At what point in time will you re-evaluate your situation and decide to go with something that works? How old will you have to be, and at what stage of your off track career path will you move on? Not give up, nobody is suggesting that you do that, but at what point in time will you decide that your books are actually good enough to be read by at least a handful of readers and just go ahead and put them out there?

What a post, Don, and it still doesn't change a thing.

A family member is a bookkeeper for a large corporation, yet she's back in school to learn more. Her goal is to become the controller, and the process is a hardship right now, in time, effort, and money. According to some of you here, if she doesn’t achieve it in a certain length of time, or if her application is on the bottom of fifty others, she shouldn’t even try. I believe you’d tell ask that with all the accountants in the U.S., what are the odds that one person could achieve a top position, so why try?

Well, I don’t believe that. And yes, I am in a better position that I was before. Because of the knowledge I’ve gained, I can help others. I make my living editing others who have achieved their own dreams. I supplement my income by writing for a newspaper. While those articles aren’t earth-shaking, my editor and readers like them and I get paid.

And, I’m working on another novel. I got closer to my goal with my last novel, and I believe I’ll get even closer when my wip is completed. If not, I’ll write another and another until one does fly. And it will.

Why on earth would I want to ask Ann a thing about my goals? If I want a professional guess and advice, I'll ask the professional novelists.

Last edited by Brenda Hill on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:46 pm

E.Don,

I have to agree--very wisely said.

I hate to bring up this dismal fact, but if Dick did not even bother to try a major house with his Normandy book--we are all chasing dreams.

This is a first-hand account from a participant in WWII.

I don't think any of us can touch this work. If he didn't think it would fly why would our stuff?

Last edited by Alice on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:48 pm

You need a Flying Machine. Like mine. MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 573627
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Good luck with that, Brenda, and please forgive me for pointing out the obvious, that your odds are not all that good. If you're content to edit and try to teach, so be it. I thought you wanted to be a rich and famous novelist.

Remember that old saying about "there are none so blind as those who refuse to see" I think perhaps you are still in the refuse to see stage, but if you think you're closer than ever to that deal, then what the hell, hang in there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR PUBLISHERS   MAJOR PUBLISHERS - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

MAJOR PUBLISHERS
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next