Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Activity on the forum

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Activity on the forum Empty
PostSubject: Activity on the forum   Activity on the forum EmptySun Mar 07, 2021 12:35 am

I'm wondering if this forum is dead or just inactive.

There have been comments on FB about past activity and sharing thoughts on a number of issues as referenced by DK and Betty. 
The last activity that I recall was in reference to Brexit, Climate Change and then the Pandemic.  Trump was also a subject that we can now try and erase from memory.  The issues concerning all of us is the on-going pandemic and the efforts to get people vaccinated.  My wife and I, both over 80 years of age, have still not received vaccinations apparently due to the lack of supply.  The EU administration screwed-up big time without the foresight to order enough.   In the meanwhile, we continue to follow the science, wearing masks and social distancing.  From what I hear on the news is that the rush to open the economy is reversing the gains made in reducing the number of infections.  If patience is a virtue, then that virtue is lacking.  It is so sad to hear a bout the number of deaths associated with the virus and the refusal of many people to ignore the precautions needed to curb it. 
If there are any former member of this forum still reading posts, I would appreciate your thoughts on these matters.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Activity on the forum   Activity on the forum EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Unfortunately, the younger generations show no intention of easing back to normality. As soon as lockdown restrictions are lifted, the pubs, restaurants and meeting places are full of people abandoning social distancing. If we come out of the second wave too quickly, there will be a third wave.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Activity on the forum   Activity on the forum EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 10:38 pm

I agree with you, Shelagh.  The younger generation never experienced a pandemic and somehow feel that they are immune.  In the US, much of this disinformation was propagated by the former President who referred to it as a hoax and further kept claiming that it would be gone in a short time, claiming that we were turning the corner, etc.  The insurrection at the Capitol was further evidence that lies fed his base. I keep hearing the phrase “getting back to normal”.  Without qualification, I don’t think that it is something we want.  If normal means believing politicians telling people what they want to hear instead of listening to scientists, then normal is not good.   The crisis we face is two-fold.  The Pandemic, with variants changing the protocol and the reality of Climate Change.  I believe that the Virus will eventually be under control with the vaccines, although it may be prolonged by people refusing to comply with social distancing and wearing masks.  As for Climate Change, efforts to reverse the effects may be too little, too late.  History reveals the effects of Climate Change with past migrations.  In addition, we are faced with the modern “quick-fix” mentality. Patience is not part of today’s equation.  Modern medicine provides people with temporary relief of pain, both mental and physical.  Seeking the cause of the malady has become a rare pursuit.  
In my opinion, future wars will be fought against an invisible enemy.  The spread of viruses will continue with international travel and with migrations.
My wife and I finally got our appointment for the vaccination.  The shortage of vaccines has delayed inoculations here in our area, much of which can be attributed t the lack of foresight on the part of the government. We, who are in the elderly category, are more cautions than the young.  Our lives are getting shorter and we would like to extend the inevitable.  Taking one day at a time is meaningful, counting the blessing that we have with excellent medical care, with a roof over our heads and food.  We feel additionally blessed having family and friends that care about us.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Activity on the forum   Activity on the forum EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 am

On Fb there was a post about Chief Dan George where he wrote about nature and love, referencing the importance of giving back to nature what one takes from it.  I responded and Betty wanted to know what pictures he played in.  A google search can answer that question.  My memory of the Chief was an event in Calgary Alberta at the Calgary Stampede in 1972.  I was accompanying Bob Cummings on his tour through Canada that was part of a promotion for the company I worked for.  There was a section in the stands reserved for important personalities.  Bob Cummings was sitting on my right and next to me on my left was Chief Dan George.  Shaking his hand was a pleasure.  We didn’t speak; however, his eyes spoke to me.  There was a warmth emanating from him, difficult to describe. With reflection, I believe it was love.  His eyes spoke and no words were needed.  When the Stampede announcer named the personalities in attendance and mentioned their name, they stood taking acknowledging the applause.  There were people that came by to get an autograph.  Since I was sitting between Bob and Dan, they assumed that I must be someone important and put their paper in front of me for my signature.  Bob winked at me and nodded his head.   My autograph is now on paper along with Bob Cummings and Chief Dan George.  They may still be wondering who the hell I am/was.  My association with   Bob Cummings is mentioned in my book: “First American Back.  Our tour through Canada visiting TV Stations and meeting people seeking autographs was not the first time my name appeared along with Bob Cummings.   I am saddened about the memorabilia that I carried with me was lost during the Civil War in Lebanon. 
On another note, my book: “They Plotted Revenge Against America”, I used a Virus as a weapon.  My research into Viruses and pandemics makes the current Pandemic a reality in how it can be spread intentionally.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Activity on the forum   Activity on the forum EmptyFri Mar 12, 2021 5:24 pm

Handling of the pandemic was severely hampered in the US. Information handed to the then president was inaccurate and misleading. Political gain was put ahead of the health of the nation. The repercussions are still being felt.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/birx-says-trump-was-fed-misleading-parallel-data-about-coronavirus-11611544274?mod=mixifeed&mod=mixi
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Activity on the forum   Activity on the forum EmptyFri Mar 12, 2021 10:31 pm

I agree, Shelagh.  The former President first called it a hoax, and then once the infections increased, made light of it saying that it would disappear.  Then he said that we were “rounding the corner”.  His followers did not take the virus seriously nor did they adhere to wearing masks or social distancing.  The election of Joe Biden is a breath of fresh air.  He took immediate action and his plans are still being implemented to get people vaccinated as rapidly as possible.  Letting our guard down or opening too soon is still a problem causing new waves of infections.  We must continue to take personal responsibility for our actions.  Patience is required if we are to defeat this invisible enemy. 
My wife and I are scheduled for vaccinations starting on the 23rd of this month for the first injection and then the 20th of April for the second shot.  We have been supplied with detailed information along with forms to fill out alerting the doctors of any pre-existing conditions that could be affected by the vaccine.  The vaccine we will be receiving has been identified as BioNTech/Pfizer.
Having served in the military and having been exposed to receiving multiple vaccinations, I am not concerned with taking them.  In my youth, the first vaccination was against smallpox and the scar is still visible on my arm.  Pre-school vaccinations were mandatory. Then came the vaccination against Polio.  Vaccinations have proven to be effective.  The long-term effects of new vaccines have yet to be realized, however I trust the scientists to deal with any remedies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Activity on the forum   Activity on the forum Empty

Back to top Go down

Activity on the forum
Page 1 of 1