Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Debt

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Debt Empty
PostSubject: Debt   Debt EmptySun May 17, 2020 7:03 am

Debt.
Is one ever free of debt?  I asked my self this question when realizing that I am finally debt-free.  No credit card debt – nothing.  Am I free of wants?  No. I think about a new car, house renovation, new appliances, etc.  Does having extra money in my pocket mean that it is there to spend? What about the feeling of financial security?  Is there a value for that? Distinguishing between want and need gives some reality. What about non-financial debt?  What do we owe the people that have extended a helping hand along our life’s journey?  I realized that there are outstanding debts that that can never be repaid.  Some of those people are now deceased.  I remember their words of encouragement when I was down.  I remember the words they wrote in books that have meant so much to me and still do.  I remember my parents, their care and guidance in my youth.  I recall Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and close friends that helped shape the person that I became. Learning is a never-ending process.  Respect for those that speak about things they know to be true is valued.  Experts on the subject of disease as with the Coronavirus and who are not intimidated by politicians are rare.  Speaking truth has its price as we have seen with whistleblowers who did their job and put their country first, jeopardizing their careers is respected.  In the end, being respected is more important than being liked. Reflecting on the past caused me to realize that those who spoke truth, often at the risk of resentment, provided the insights needed to grow.  The Ego plays a large role in what we say and do.  Eliminating that Ego is tough when trying to be humble. Self-promotion as with promoting one’s books by a POD publisher has taken a big hit when witnessing the “Me, me, me” example of Trump. It is repulsive.
There are and were people on this forum that I admired and learned much from the things they said and wrote about.  Dick Stodghill, Don Stephens, Carol Trostler, Ann Joiner, all now deceased are fondly remembered.  The most significant book I read and re-read was the book by Ron Kruger- “A Higher Good”.  I treasure the copy that I have.  I have tried to locate the book, but it is no longer in print, originally published by Publish America.  I would like to buy a dozen copies to send to people who may benefit from his death experience.  Death is nothing to be feared nor is fear of a loving God. 
There are people no longer active on this forum that I admire.  D.K. Kristi, Don Harpe, Alice Crooker and Betty Fassig.  They are active on FB, but sorely missed on this forum.  Finally, I appreciate the contribution made by Shelagh Watkins in keeping this forum alive.  We may not always agree on issues, however intelligent debate is appreciated and a learning experience
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Debt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debt   Debt EmptySat May 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Thank you, Abe. This forum came about because of Dick Stodghill. Jeff Miller's writing forum had been ruined by the bashers from AbsoluteWrite, and he was looking for a new place to talk to the friends he'd made on the PA forums. During the first few years, the discussions were always lively but somehow the forum survived. Forumotion that provides the platform for the forum allowed moderators/administrators to set up the forum without advertisements for members of the forum. Over the years, forumotion eroded the options for administrators, and introduced ads to generate income for the company.  Many left the forum, not just because of the disagreements, but because of the ads that started to appear in the discussions. 

The biggest loss to the forum, was a real loss: the loss of members who died. I learned a lot from them, and still miss them. I'm glad you are still around and content to continue to express what's on your mind. I'm the only one who responds to your posts, but I know from the stats that people still visit and read your posts, even though they do not reply.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Debt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debt   Debt EmptySun May 24, 2020 5:42 am

Thank you Shelagh.
Back to top Go down