Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg

Go down 
+4
Shelagh
thehairymob
alice
Dick Stodghill
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg Empty
PostSubject: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg EmptyMon May 11, 2009 11:18 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:

A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg Santa+Stodg Jackie had a messageboard note from Mike Dooley and that reminded me that it was 39 years ago today that I started work for the Muncie Evening Press. Mike was a reporter for the Star, the morning paper in town, so that made him the competition.
Some people believed the papers didn't compete because both were Pulliam-owned newspapers. They were mistaken. It was a bad start to the day if I walked into the newsroom at 7 a.m. and City Editor Jack Richman said, "Well, Dick, I see you got scooped." Fortunately it didn't happen often. If it had I would have been job hunting again.
I was one of the last of the itinerant reporters. The Evening Press was my sixth newspaper. Two were large, two were small and the MEP was my second of medium size. That made it ideal for me because I was, and still am, a workaholic. At a large newspaper you get stuck with doing one thing. At a small one you are stuck with doing everything. At one in between those extremes you have a beat to cover but are free to add as many other duties as you choose. When someone had two meetings on the same night, I'd volunteer to cover one of them. I loved to cover high school sports on Friday and Saturday nights. I wrote columns about those sports and about the beat I covered. I volunteered to work on holidays because otherwise they were boring. In 1979 I added writing mysteries for magazines to my workload.
Before joining the Evening Press staff I had never kept a job for more than three years. There always was something better over the next hill and that was a trait I inherited from my dad. The MEP proved an ideal fit for me so I stayed for eight years, left for two, then returned for ten more.
The Evening Press had a veteran staff so the wise guys at the Star, and Mike Dooley was the biggest of them, said, "The youngest man at the Evening Press is 47, and he's the copy boy." That wasn't true. I was 44.
In his message to Jackie, Mike mentioned a Star story about a beer can that changed the outcome of a mayoralty race. I sent a message back to him saying, "Still trying to steal my stories, are you?" I was the one who broke the beer can story and I think I once wrote a blog about it.
Mike Dooley left Muncie to work for a Fort Wayne newspaper. He's going to pay us a visit this summer. If anyone else happens to stop by they'd better be wearing hip boots. Yes, those were great days so it's forgivable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg EmptyMon May 11, 2009 11:26 am

Happy Anniversary!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg EmptyMon May 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Don't stay up all night reminiscing or you'll miss out on the beauty sleep and start to look old, hehehe Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg EmptyMon May 11, 2009 1:25 pm

Sounds like Jackie had a conspirator. A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg 499995
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg EmptyMon May 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Quote :
I was, and still am, a workaholic

Aww, Dick. Surely not. Happy Anniversary.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg EmptyMon May 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Time flies, doesn't it. Faster and faster, each year.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Happy Anniversay, enjoy the visit, and thank you so much for sharing! I just love your stories, Dick!
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:22 pm

What Sue said, Dick!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg   A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg Empty

Back to top Go down

A Major Anniversary for Ol' Stodg
Page 1 of 1