Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Opinions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Opinions   Opinions EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 am

Forming opinions.              
How does one form an opinion?  This was a discussion I had with my daughter and wife today.  We reached the conclusion (opinion) that opinions are formed based on the input one receives from various sources. Social media provides much insight on the attitudes of people based on their comments, pro and con, on a variety of subjects causing us to form an opinion about that person.  There is a tendency for one to stick to an opinion that was formed based on a particular event and resist changing that opinion when events change.  Does the resistance to a change of mind (opinion) have something to do with wanting to be right and being unwilling to admit a mistake?  We think it does.  That condition is seen with people in positions of power who seek to justify their actions even when it is known that their actions were wrong.  “With every adversity there is the seed of an equivalent or even greater benefit.”  We can learn much from mistakes.  Repeating a mistake thinking that it will work the next time is a common mistake often made.   I just finished reading a book,” The First World War” by John Keegan.  Many of the mistakes made in the First WW were repeated in the Second WW resulting in the deaths of millions.   As my son says: “What we learn from history is that we don’t learn from history.”  The same applies to mistakes we make.  We also believe that a person is admired when he/she admits to making a mistake. 
Opinions are subject to change as events change.  Looking at a situation with fresh eyes can alter our opinions and affect those with whom we choose to associate.   Insisting on being right when faced with new facts/data is a common flaw.   Sticking to a POV when we believe our facts are correct is honorable.  It also states that we are not influenced by political propaganda or any agenda designed for the purpose of deception.  Interaction with people we respect can help with clarification.  For those who seek truth, the truth may be contrary to long-held beliefs. 
Another element in how one views a situation may be influenced by Revenge - a subject to be dealt with at a later time.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions   Opinions EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Holding onto an opinion when proved wrong is a sign of not wanting to lose face. A psychology experiment showed that we hold onto material things as soon as we take ownership. A group of people were asked to choose either a coffee mug or a bar of chocolate. Most saw the mug as the better choice, but when participants were first given a chocolate bar they were generally unwilling to trade it for a coffee mug, and participants first given the coffee mug were generally unwilling to trade it for the chocolate bar. Although the mug was seen as the better option, once given a bar of chocolate, participants were reluctant to give it up. Maybe it's the same with opinions. Once formed, they are difficult to let go.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions   Opinions EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 pm

I would far prefer the chocolate bar especially if it is Dove chocolate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions   Opinions EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 am

As mentioned frequently on FB, trying to change someone's mind (opinion) is an effort in futility.  "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts..." is not just a cliche, but often reality.  I admit to falling in that category when it comes to my opinion of Trump.  It would take a miracle for me to change my opinion of him. 

There is one thing that stands out (in addition to all his lies) and that is his need for self-aggrandization.   He has turned me off completely on book promotion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions   Opinions Empty

Back to top Go down

Opinions
Page 1 of 1