Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Libraries

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Libraries Empty
PostSubject: Libraries   Libraries EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 am

I heard a great NPR report on libraries.  County libraries in states are taking the access to ebooks into their own hands.  Colorado in particular has quit debating with the major publishers and is emphasizing small presses, independent presses and self-publishing authors.  They have software that works with their system, and then if the patron wishes to buy the book, the library makes a little.

I see this as a GREAT opportunity for self-published and small press authors to contact the Colorado library county systems and others to get their books into the ebook pipeline.

The librarians interviewed are actually steering patrons to the less well-known authors when they do not carry the ebook for the latest well-publicized name.  The librarians see it as their responsibility to become familiar with the less well-known authors who write books that patrons might enjoy as much as the well-advertised ones.

I just realized I mentioned on Victor's thread First Chapters Plus as an advertising vehicle.  I also suggested Readers View - and, duh, it's the same organization.  First Chapters Plus started their eBook magazine targeting libraries.  I hope this library shift toward independence benefits them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Libraries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Libraries   Libraries EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 am

8/5/2013

DK...

Thanks ! I have to check our local library here
                           to see if they do it, in the beginning after " Dusty,"
                           was published I gave them a copy...

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Libraries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Libraries   Libraries EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 pm

The discussion was eBooks.  This is a new turn of events.  At one time, librarians were very snooty about only carrying books by New York publishers.  Now, the librarians on some states are catching up with the times and frustrated with the grip by New York Publishers. 

They specifically mentioned having the books on Smashwords available to their library patrons.  I know several people here have books on Smashwords. 

Reviews become more important in these cases so that patrons know what books to pick from the plethora of choices (some of which are terrible, grammatically awful, etc.).
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Libraries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Libraries   Libraries EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm

There really needs to be some standards.  I have been asked to review books that I just could not review because the errors were too distracting or I kept wondering what the author did with the story.

I think this library trend is positive.  Many small presses pay close attention to the professional quality of their books and have exciting series and stories.  Additionally, there's a whole other non-viction set of books out there with lots of information on every subject imaginable.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Libraries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Libraries   Libraries EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 pm

DK.  You referenced professional quality of books and I agree.  Many authors feel they can get by with their own editing and PC tools, but that in my view is a mistake.  Spending some money to have it edited by a third party is the best, assuming the publisher doesn't do it.  With self-publishing, it is a necessity.  Having a friend or friends read the manuscript with a critical eye is a big help.
First impressions are as valid in what we write as is appearance.  Negative comments about a book spreads faster than positive comments.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Libraries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Libraries   Libraries EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 5:02 am

My little 500 word stories are gone over with a fine tooth comb - and mistakes are found, often little ones that are made by the software.  Imagine in a book of 80,000 words or more!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Libraries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Libraries   Libraries Empty

Back to top Go down

Libraries
Page 1 of 1