Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Getting your book in libraries

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Getting your book in libraries Empty
PostSubject: Getting your book in libraries   Getting your book in libraries EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 pm

When I take the time I have had good luck getting Ghost Orchid in the libraries. Here is my method:

Submit to Barnes and Noble's New York Small Press Department the materials they request to vet your book for their shelves. Mostly it's reviews, a marketing plan, a synopsis, etc. Keep that package and to it add the acceptance letter from Barnes and Noble. Make as many copies of that package as you have libraries to approach.

Here are the reviewers my library likes:

The library system selects materials based on positive professional reviews, patron demand
and awards. Positive reviews in one or more review journals, such as Kirkus Reviews,
Publisher’s Weekly, Library Journal, Booklist, School Library Journal, VOYA (Voice for Youth
Advocates) or The New York Times Book Review, will give your material an excellent chance of
being purchased by LCLS (and other public libraries as well). A list of contact information for
these publications is listed at the end of this information sheet.
Write-ups in local newspapers, such as the News Press, Cape Coral Breeze, Lehigh Acres Citizen,
Bonita Banner, Pine Island Daily News or the Naples Daily News are also useful and informative.
To request that the library consider purchasing your title, please submit the purchase
consideration form (last page), and a copy of the title to the LCLS Collection Development staff.
Please note that a review copy is helpful, but not required, and will not be returned regardless of
the library’s ultimate purchase decision.

I had a few newspaper write ups and reviews from National Public Radio (get your local station to do one); interviews on two NPR stations and reviews from Midwest Book Review and Amazon.com .

Thought this might be useful to some new authors. Having your book in the library makes it more interesting to book clubs since some members get their books from the library.

I also offer to do presentations. No one asked me yet but four county systems in Florida and Michigan have my Ghost Orchid in their library.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com

Getting your book in libraries
Page 1 of 1