Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Libraries can make it

Go down 
+4
Abe F. March
Al Stevens
Shelagh
materurbium
8 posters
AuthorMessage
materurbium

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Libraries can make it Empty
PostSubject: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:46 am

I have a blog post about how libraries can make it. It's here too:

Quote :
Google and Amazon have been using their nimble pink tips to digitize anything and everything for a long time now. Libraries are shutting down. Amazon is selling more e-books than book books. Publishers are limiting what libraries can e-lend. I figure I’m not too late to shoot my opinion to all 1 of you reading (love you dad!).

First off, everybody loves libraries and thinks they are valuable. This is great news for libraries. I remember saying once that the reason libraries are failing is that anything you need from a library can be found faster and easier online, but that’s not totally true. Libraries do offer something unique, and it’s the reason why we value them and will miss them if they’re gone.

Anyone can walk into a library and read a book (new or old) for free. That’s it. That’s the whole thing. And that’s completely unique even today (though Barnes and Noble was giving public libraries a run for their money for a while).

It's partially about money, and public libraries have none. What they do have are lots and lots of people who believe libraries are valuable and want to see them survive (which is actually way more valuable than the public funding right now). Can they come up with creative ways that their fans and followers can support them?

If you look for ways you can help libraries, most library sites and Facebook campaigns ask people to write their congressperson, demand more funding, vote on this or that, etc, etc. They’ve missed the point. I don’t want to write my congressperson and explain why they should give libraries more funding. I’ve never written my congressperson. That doesn’t interest me at all. I want libraries to come to me directly. I want to be able to say, 'Hey, I was a part of that.'

There are ways libraries can generate income that are better than waiting for funding or putting a clear plastic drop box near the book checkout. In many cases libraries already let businesses in (but who in the world clicks on banner ads?). It wouldn’t be a stretch for libraries to introduce their sponsors to their followers and ask their followers for support directly.

If I could help my local library keep the lights on from purchases I made at Amazon (hello Aceman) or for that matter ProFlowers (we’re desperate at this point, aren’t we?) I’d gladly click through them to buy from sponsors.

Basically you have a unique institution which everyone values and would miss on the brink of extinction with no money and nothing to lose.

What an opportunity.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.materurbium.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:58 am

Libraries are being closed all over the UK. I use Smashwords to give readers free downloads -- which is the equivalent of books in libraries. I only have one book in libraries in Lancashire. When I check TalisPrism (the catalogue) the books are signed out but not to the same extent that the same book is downloaded on Smashwords.

You'll find free downloads of my books here:

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/shelaghwatkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:03 am

What do you click on when you walk into a library?
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:53 am

I like libraries. I like the feel of the book in my hand. I hate reading from a monitor.

So if there is a vote for libraries, I vote yes.

What to do about libraries closing? - I don't know. They will only be missed when they no longer exist. It may be much like the saying, "you don't miss the water until the well runs dry."
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it EmptyFri May 20, 2011 9:11 am

I seldom visit libraries. One of the reasons is that they haven't upgraded themselves to compete with the booksellers. Why can't they organize their books in easy-to-read categories like Barnes and Noble does? What's with that archaic Dewey system? There's no reason for that long number when the card catalog is computerized. They need to make themselves easy to browse for customers, not easy to shelve for librarians.

New releases are hard to find, too. There's two copies and a six month waiting list.

Yes, reading their books is free, which is great, and it's what has kept them going this long.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:09 am

I don't often go to libraries because when I borrow something, I have to give it back. I have a hard time letting go of books, printed or digital.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:11 pm

I can live without the libraries and bookstores. I want my husband, children and grandchildren, inlaws, friends, food and water. Cars airplanes, trucks and news. I also want AMAZON and NORDSTOM
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:14 pm

I agree with LC. If libraries updated their card catalog system into this century it would help. The Dewey system is as antiquated as ledger cards and hand posting for business customers.

I have been into second hand music/video stores that have it all together. They can tell you in a instant if they have what you want or not and the spot in the store it will be located. I went looking for John Denver music for my son. It was a lovely experience. If I wanted an Ima Sumac dvd, they had it and could put it in front of your face in less than a minute.

I like the book in hand, too. I am like Ann. If I want to read the book, I want to keep it on a shelf and go back another time in my life's space to read it again. Books are like old friends to me.

But, there are many people who would like to read books that cannot afford to buy them. It would be a real shame for libraries to go away.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Libraries can make it   Libraries can make it Empty

Back to top Go down

Libraries can make it
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-