Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Of Orbs and Lords Coin

Go down 
+7
Abe F. March
Dick Stodghill
Brenda Hill
Pam
lin
Shelagh
P. Gordon Kennedy
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Of Orbs and Lords Coin Empty
PostSubject: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 9:19 am

I designed a coin for my story in photoshop and here's the result. The obverse depicts Lord Immahyr, who becomes king of Eptannia during the story. Eptannia is the name of the fictional country in which my story takes place and the 2008 date refers to the year I designed the coin. On the reverse, the towers of Jarronal are depicted, as Jarronal is an important location in the story. I chose the gold color, because gold is valuble and because gold coins are the main form of money used in the story. Wow, it's amazing what can be done with Photoshop!

Obverse
Of Orbs and Lords Coin Gold_c10

Reverse
Of Orbs and Lords Coin Gold_c11
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 9:29 am

Excellent! Very impressive! Of Orbs and Lords Coin 704672
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 10:49 am

Shelagh wrote:
Excellent! Very impressive! Of Orbs and Lords Coin 704672

Thank you! I'm glad you were impressed!Of Orbs and Lords Coin 78793
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 12:33 pm

what's the current exchange rate?
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 1:25 pm

In the story, a gold coin is defined as being worth one week's wages for a typical Eptannian workman. Silver coins are also used, but their value isn't mentioned in Of Orbs and Lords. However, I've determined their value to be that of one day's wages for a typical Eptannian workman. To convert that to U.S. dollars, I would say the Eptannian gold coin is worth about $300 and the silver coin about $50. Although I don't think I mentioned them in the story, copper coins would also be used for smaller transactions. I've decided that the Eptannian copper coin is worth about one hour's wages for the typical Eptannian workman or about $5 in U.S. currency. Though not mentioned, a coin made of a cheap metal like iron or lead worth about 25 cents in U.S. currency would be needed as well for the smallest of transactions.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Cool work Gordon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 1:27 pm

Now, I'm on the penny too! The coin is dated 2008, because that's the year I designed it, but the picture I used is from 2003. Yes, I know I'm facing the wrong way for a penny, but I was too lazy to shoot a new picture. I used the S mint mark, because a lot of proof coins are made in San Fransisco and I wanted my penny to be a proof coin.
Here I am on the Penny.
Of Orbs and Lords Coin I_m_on10
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 1:34 pm

How impressive, Gordon. Looks like you're pretty handy with the design tools.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:34 pm

I agree, they look good enough to spend. Losing one of the gold ones (worth $300) would be quite a blow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:57 pm

If you flip the image horizontally before you add the lettering, it faces the right way.

Of Orbs and Lords Coin Coinflipped
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Impressive. With the continue weakening of the dollar, perhaps your new coins will have as much value. Make sure they fit the vending machines.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 11:19 pm

Fantastic job. Impressive, indeed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 6:17 am

Is it based on the price of gold or something else, something strangely exotic? Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 8:10 am

It's value is based on the value of gold in the fictional country of Eptannia.
Here's the towers of Jarronal in color.

Of Orbs and Lords Coin Towers12
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 8:14 am

I made the picture of the towers of Jarronal using some paper cones and photoshop. It's supose to look like you're looking at the towers through a porthole. I added the slight blur to the picture to hide the fact that the towers are really cones made from computer printer paper and scotch tape. I have an even better version, but I think it's too big to upload (over 2 megabytes).
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 3:53 pm

I shrank the file size. Here's the better picture of the towers.
Of Orbs and Lords Coin Jarron12
Back to top Go down
Susan MacTabert
One Star Member
One Star Member
Susan MacTabert

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 10:59 am

Doing your own graphics must be not only fun but you can be sure they are what you want. (I have had illustrations for short stories that were nicely done but not even close to what I saw.) I don't know the first thing about graphics software though I have started to research. You mentioned Photoshop (which seems expensive!) but obviously does a great job. I have looked into Corel Painter 4 Essentials with the Bamboo Pen tablet. I would like to do my own bookcovers, bookmarks, design logos, and also do illustrations -- working from photos and freehand drawings. The only graphics I've used are the Paint and Photo that came with my Dell/XP. Can't do alot with them. At least I can't. Any words of experience would be welcome. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.diamondneedles.net
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 11:58 am

I like to do all the work myself. I edit, proofread, illustrate, and obviously write my own stories. The version of Photoshop I have is Photoshop Elements 6. I got it at Wal-Mart and if I remember correctly, it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $80. I think it's well worth the investment.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Oh, and here's another coin I did in Photoshop.

Of Orbs and Lords Coin Medal10
Back to top Go down
Susan MacTabert
One Star Member
One Star Member
Susan MacTabert

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks for your input. Not sure what Photoshop I was seeing online but it was way more than $80. Next time I'm at Best Buy or Walmart I'll see what they have.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Gordon it's great to know what version you are using -- I have looked many times at the full version at $700 and hum and haw and my sister always talks me out of it (she has the same version you do and does all kinds of cool scrapbooking things with it).
I love the coin designs you are doing - they look fantastic, and like a lot of fun. I also think that its brilliant to develop products that support the concept of your books!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Susan MacTabert
One Star Member
One Star Member
Susan MacTabert

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi Pam,
Great to have even more input. I think we were browsing the same $700 product which is probably way more than I'd need. When I designed my book's cover I used the old-fashioned drawing with pencil and ink and actual cutting and pasting, then scanned and added the lettering. I didn't expect the publisher to use my as-it-was design, but they did. Just cleaned up some fuzzy edges for me. It works but after I've seen what members are doing here with graphics software (bookcovers, bookmarks, web designs, coins and towers), I wonder what I might have done. I am looking forward to finding out in time for my next publishing projects.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 1:33 pm

You were probably looking at one of the professional versions of Photoshop. I think there's an even more expensive version that runs around $900 or $1000, Which is greater than the cost of my new laptop! Photoshop Elements is usually fairly affordable. I use version 6, but you can probably get older versions form places like E-Bay for even less than $80, but I wouldn't recomend going with anything too old.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Here I am at age 9.

Of Orbs and Lords Coin Ss853710

And here I am as a blue haired 9 year old thanks to the miracle known as the color replacement brush.

Of Orbs and Lords Coin Ss853711
Back to top Go down
Susan MacTabert
One Star Member
One Star Member
Susan MacTabert

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 4:48 pm

When I went to research the Photoshop 6, I came across what may be exactly what I need for my art projects; a Bamboo Pen Tablet bundle which includes photo and illustration software. And fairly affordable. All of your info really helped.
The blue hair, kewl. Rather elvish. Or anime.

Of Orbs and Lords Coin 572534
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Of Orbs and Lords Coin   Of Orbs and Lords Coin Empty

Back to top Go down

Of Orbs and Lords Coin
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next