Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

American oil

Go down 
+9
Carol Troestler
Dick Stodghill
Shelagh
Abe F. March
Pam
lin
P. Gordon Kennedy
JoElle
awol
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

American oil - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 11:18 am

Gordon,
when you talk about avoiding meat, that is almost like talking about gun control. Incidentally, James Garner was a meat advocate and did commercials promoting beef. Then he had a heart attack and his promotion stopped.

Remember that everything in moderation is OK. That includes the use of oil, meat, and for some, even sex & chocolate. Perhaps only using the gun to shoot a few people might be considered "moderate use."American oil - Page 6 866227

Actually, non meat eaters are healthier people. But just as I'm not about to give up sex, as long as I can still remember what that is,scratch I am not going to give up eating meat - in moderation. I do avoid red meat.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 12:28 pm

You can eliminate my vehicle, my heat, even my coffee. But don't mess with my meat or my guns!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 3:13 pm

I don't care about any of that stuff, but when Abe says I have to be moderate in eating chocolate, I'm up in arms!
American oil - Page 6 514350
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Just for you, Dick: American oil - Page 6 143616
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 5:51 pm

I wasn't trying to sugguest that we give up meat. It's just a fact that it takes less land to feed a person on a vegitarian diet than a person on a meat diet. Meat in moderation is ok, but I don't think a diet made up of 80% or 90% meat is very good for your health. I guess too much of anything is bad for you.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 8:06 pm

I decided to cut out the middleman and just start eating carbon.

This was influenced by my neighbor buying a new barbecue grill.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Quote :

LOL - That's like salting your beer and pouring it down the toilet!
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 10:02 pm

Phil Whitley wrote:
Quote :

LOL - That's like salting your beer and pouring it down the toilet!

Brew, I thought that was all beer was for, anyway. You only rent it long enough for your kidneys to flush it! Laughing lol!
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 10:56 am

lin wrote:

This was influenced by my neighbor buying a new barbecue grill.

Actually, everything you eat has carbon in it. All organic compounds contain carbon, therefore anything that ever was part of a living organism contains carbon. It's the compound carbon dioxide that's contributing to the greenhouse effect and thus global warming, not elemental carbon.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 11:49 am

Gordon,
Thanks for setting that straight.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 5:37 pm

By the way, turns out HDTV's have a gas in them that's about 100 times worse than CO2 for the ozone and environment.

And sooner or later, they're going to end up crushed in land fills.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 6:05 pm

What kind of HDTVs contain the nasty gas? There are many differnt types, LCD, Plasma, DLP, Cathode Tube, ect. Of course, I don't really understand what's so bad about standard definition. I don't get why people think they need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new TV just becaus it's got a somewhat sharper picture or a bigger screen. I guess I'm out of date, I still watch a standard definition cathode tube TV that's over 10 years old, but it still works so why buy a new one? Besides, there usually isn't anything worth watching on.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Some alarming facts about petrolium:
-Since the first oil well was drilled in the 1800's the volume of oil used worldwide is equal to 30 times the volume of Lake Erie!
-Currently every year, the world consumes 30 billion barrles of oil. That's 1,260,000,000,000 gallons!
-A 42 gallon barrel of oil will yield only 14 gallons of gasoline, but the remainder is used to make everything from diesel fuel to plastics.
-Americans consume 25% of the world's oil currently.
-Recently, the price of oil exceeded $140 a barrel, but back in 1995, only 13 years ago, oil cost only $17 per barrel. That's an increase of more than 823% in just 13 years!
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 12:27 am

It's even more depressing. We will hit the peak and start to decline in the next five years...as demand accelerates upward.

The current world production of 85 million barrels a day is about all that can really happen, we'll probably never hit 100.

The last really big deposit was discovered in the forties. Tapping smaller fields will be more expensive. The ride is over. Yet the biggest mass of the world's population is just starting to buy automobiles.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 12:28 am

And we've pretty well demonstrated that we will kill to get our hands on it.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 5:29 pm

And unfortunately, a great many people would probably be willing to kill to keep their big SUVs and Hummers and all their other gas guzzling toys. Unfortunately, there is a large percentage of the population that just doesn't want to change. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American oil   American oil - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

American oil
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6