Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

In Your Opinion...

Go down 
+11
P. Gordon Kennedy
Phil Whitley
W. Lane Rogers
RunsWithScissors
dkchristi
Don Stephens
Pam
Shelagh
Dick Stodghill
thehairymob
Sue
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon May 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Should all the chapters of a book start on the right-hand page or does it matter?
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon May 25, 2009 2:44 pm

I have seen them on both the right and left. Though I feel it looks better on the right, more professional looking in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon May 25, 2009 3:36 pm

Same with me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon May 25, 2009 3:44 pm

First chapter on the right. The rest as they fall: left or right. Blank pages are unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon May 25, 2009 4:13 pm

I agree with Shelagh. No need to waste paper Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon May 25, 2009 6:33 pm

What Shelagh said!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon May 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Arirang: The Bamboo Connection is 488 pages with NO white pages in it at all and chapters starting with just a little space from the ending of the last one (to make the book fewer pages and not so daunting) I have had nothing but compliments regarding its formatting (type large enough to read), beauty and quality (paper and printing). No one says anything regarding white space, which is nearly non-existent.

I think a good book printed on decent paper with a readable font is not examined by reader who is too engrossed turning pages to notice white space - just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon May 25, 2009 8:41 pm

I agree with chapter one beginning on the right hand side and then the rest of the chapters falling where they may (left or right side) with no blank pages.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyTue May 26, 2009 12:42 pm

It ought to be a publisher's concern, not a writer's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyTue May 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Sorry, Sue. You are, of course, a publisher. Not paying attention to who asked the question.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyTue May 26, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks for all the input.

Lane, it was one of my authors that asked me the question. I researched it and thought I would ask here to see what the general consensus between authors here was.

My research took me to many books about editing and publishing, as well as other forums and publishers. The majority sided with Dan Poynter, highly respected and followed in his opinions and profession, in his book The Self-Publishing Manual.

Dan Poynter wrote:
Quote :
Note that the first page of each chapter of a book ordinarily begins on a right-hand page. If this leaves a blank on the left, the space can be filled with a photograph, chart or quotation. Each page should be used for something, even if it is just for a page number. The only exceptions might be your front and back matter.
However, I guess if the author and the publisher agree it can start on the page after the prior chapter ends: just not on the same page.

I prefer to see the chapters start on the right-hand page. As I am thumbing through a book, that is where I look for the chapter starts.

Again, thank you for your comments and opinions. I appreciate you sharing them with me.
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyTue May 26, 2009 8:30 pm

I have always been an avid reader and have seen more chapters begin on
either side. I wonder if the difference lies between trade paperbacks
and hardbound?

Actually, I don't like to see blank pages. When I see white paper it
makes me want to write something or draw something, and I'm wanting to
read!
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyWed May 27, 2009 4:35 pm

As someone who ships books that people order, I have become even more of a scrutineer on this subject. The last one I published (Live Inspired) has chapters that start on either page. Granted, it took a little getting used to the look of it, but I got over it.
I did this for purely financial reasons - there were a couple of anthologies I wrote chapters in that cost me $11 to mail. Yuck. They were each around 300-350 pages. No one wants to pay $11 for shipping and handling on a book, and so I ended up swallowing a good chunk of the cost, which I was not too happy about. I was determined to make Live Inspired more reasonable to ship, so I had them print it on very nice paper, and with chapters starting on both pages. It is a light 140 pages with a softcover. It costs just $2.75 to mail, and I am still charging $5 for s/h so, including the cardboard sleeve I send it in, it's a break even thing. I am learning, slowly but surely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyWed May 27, 2009 7:35 pm

First chapter on the right and the rest on whichever side they end up on. Doing it that way saves paper and thus natural resources.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 5:28 am

I am beginning to find that it depends on the genre too. I agree with Pam on the shipping costs.

With Helen's paranormal/historical fiction book coming out in November, I formatted it for the beginning of the chapters to fall on the following pages, with no blank pages in between. It did take some getting use to. The author of the book coming out in March wants all the pages to start on the right hand side. It is a non-fiction book. I know it should be the publisher's choice. However, I like to have the input of my author's as well. If they aren't happy, no one is happy!
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Dear Sue,
I am trying to remember all the books that I have read in the children's genre. It seems to me that for children's stories, the left page is always an illustration and the right hand page is where Once Upon A Time begins. I am so comfortable with that from reading all those stories that began so.

There is a certain expectation looking at the illustration and then hearing Once Upon A time, or reading the same words. I am forever the child again.

Other books are the same for me. I expect the new chapter or story to be on the right hand page and I expect an illustration at the beginning of each story. Wooffer is that way. I could send you the word file if you would like to see or read it.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 5:06 pm

I just checked my nonfic book (funny, I never noticed these things before). It's just as Gordon says -the first chapter starts on the RH side, the rest fall on either. It doesn't distract from anything. In fact, I'd think a random blank page just to make a RH page chapter would be more distracting.

Are you doing the printer-ready layout yourself? That's quite a job. All my galleys copies come with those circle symbols on the edges that represent where the paper will be cut (I think). Just something to consider, as it sounds like you're self-teaching.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Dear LC,
An illustration is what used to be on the left hand side. In old books they were an etching. I believe the art adds to the story. I am not talking sappy big color images that most children's books have, but serious drawings of depictions that could be looked at and unlock the story for the reader, no matter the age.

A close perusal of the frontplate. I miss that.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Betty, I know the layout you're talking about. My nonfic is illustrated, but the chapters still fall on both sides; the illustrations are sized to work with the page layout. Only two were given whole pages to themselves, and they're in an appendix.

I don't know if Sue is laying out a children's book? If so that's different; otherwise, I personally am not seeing books that have whole pages just for chapter openers anymore.

Edited to add -ok, art books and glorious-photo craft books often have this layout.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 5:47 pm

Dear LC,
You are right, of course. I am reading some old classics, Huck Finn, for example. The art work is included in the right hand page of each chapter. I do not know much about the layout of text books. But, to me, a hopeless dreamer, the little black and white drawing that precedes the story, if it is only one, or if it is just a rude map, adds to the unraveling of the story. Agatha Christi always had the map in the front of the mystery so the reader could see and imagine in more detail where the crime might have been hatched and just how the murderer could have done it. I love that stuff!
I am now going way back to text books that I remember. All of them had pictures on the left hand side to begin the chapter. Kind of a 'here is what you are going to find' preview. I think it is important. If it is a lost thing, I am sorry for every reader and every student. Get it going again!

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 6:01 pm

Just FTR, my nonfic isn't a textbook. It's a large-niche interest book. And you're right, older books had that great chapter opener. I remember them well myself.

I don't know anything besides my own experience, which is that my acquisitions editors (three different ones) made detailed profit and loss calculations that included how many illustrations were permitted to fit in the price point they had in mind. I gave input on sizing, but they have the last word on everything. If they don't want whole-page chapter openers, that's how it is. Those openers must be quite the luxury, since I always suggested them and they always got cut.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks for all the opinions. I really appreciate all the input!

I will be doing a children's picture book (maybe 2) next year, so I will have to start reading up on that too. So much to learn. I enjoy the learning process, especially if it means I will be able to help others.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 4:23 am

Sue,

I know a couple of people who are excellent formatters. One does my book covers and put the art work in my fairy tale book. She works as a graphic artist. The other is a technical writer for the university, and either would be willing to answer specific questions.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Dear LC,
I have to admit that I am a little bewildered by the whole book publishing and marketing process.
When I was a child and read the old stories, it never crossed my mind how all those stories came to be into print and in my school. All those books in the library seemed to just get there without someone choosing them.

I do not think that most people even consider how books are selected for libraries or stores or on line stores. They just want to find the book they want to read and pay as little as they can.

I am doubtful that people will download an ebook and print it out and then take the lunky thing to bed to read. I am still not convinced that Kindle or Audio Books (which I have invested in and can send to anyone who would want one, close to free) will soon take the place of the printed word.

My book was published in 2005. I have no contact with my publisher except the twice a year royalty check. I do not know what happens after the contract is up. When that happens, I consider I have options, but slim one's.

I will revise and elimnate a lot of commas and omit a few and's. Then, maybe some kind heart will take it on. Maybe, Shelagh? I have the ebook, formated and ready to go. PA made me take it off of Lulu.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 7:08 am

Betty -you put your PA book on Lulu? That is too funny. Smile How did PA find out about it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

In Your Opinion... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Your Opinion...   In Your Opinion... Empty

Back to top Go down

In Your Opinion...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next