Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Power in Staying Positive

Go down 
+3
Abe F. March
alice
alj
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

The Power in Staying Positive Empty
PostSubject: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 6:03 am

One of the regular emails I get, and read when I check my mailbox, is the O Magazine newsletter. Some may say it's fluff, but it's generally uplifting fluff. Today, as I read a couple of the bits on staying positive, I recalled something that happened in my classroom several years ago.

We occasionlly had these teacher workdays, when students were given a break so we could catch up our paperwork and re-order our classrooms. One of the required tasks was re-doing our bulletin boards. I usually took my daughters with me, while they were still at home, and they enjoyed changing my bulletin boards. This particular time, they had gone through some of the materials in the department workroom, and had come across a series of posters on MacBeth. They were particularly pleased with a big red and black one of the three witches stirring their cauldron, saying "Double, double, toil and trouble," which they hung in a prominent place.

It took me a while to figure out why I was suddenly getting such negative behavior from my students, but I began to connect their attitudes with that evil-looking poster. I took it down, replaced it with scenes from nature interspersed with positive quotations, and by the next day, my students were settling back into their relaxed study habits, and positive frame of mind.

That's what I like about this place. We can come here and get encouragement and reinforcement and feedback that keeps us wanting to keep on trying. We don't all agree, but are encouraged to accept other perspectives as valid, and to learn from each other, building and expanding our personal perspectives, which, in turn, opens a higher level of communication. And communication is what we, as writers, are mostly about.

Time for me to get ready to go tutor more of those young minds. I think I'll wear something green rather than the black and red pantsuit I had pulled out to wear today.

Ann flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 7:07 am

Ann,

Very well said as usual!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 7:32 am

Ann,
a good post. The power of positive thinking works. It is not just a tool for getting ahead, but for a feeling of well being.
Back to top Go down
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 7:53 am

Ann,

I agree. It's a great post. I believe wholeheartedly in the power of positive thinking.

And green sounds like a much better color to wear than black or red. Just the vision of the green looks happier in my mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 2:42 pm

We make so many choices every day and we have the power to make those choices positive or negative. I think it was Walt Whitman who said, "You can live your life as if nothing is a miracle or as if everything is a miracle." Hmmm... that reference may not be right. I need to check it.

OOPS! I was incorrect. Here's the real quote:

"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
~ Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks Alice, Abe; Helen, I am so glad I wore green tonight. as you may see if you read my additions to Shelagh's weeding it out thread, it proved to be a difficult evening for staying positive. Maybe I should watch what I write, especially if I write it so authoritatively.

Merri - that's a great quote!

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I agree with the positive thinking thing, Ann. I am often accused of being a bit (actually,more than a bit) of a Pollyanna. So be it. It works better for me to be that way.

When I get down, it worries folks. Upsets the balance of nature or something... The Power in Staying Positive 855547
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Rhett,

Your appearance here is positive!

I agree about thinking positive, and Einstein's miracle quote. I have felt little control over my life or well-being lately, but realize I have had control over how I handled both.

But I wasn't alone in this endeavor.

Carol cheers sunny flower flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Power in Staying Positive   The Power in Staying Positive Empty

Back to top Go down

The Power in Staying Positive
Page 1 of 1