Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Positive Progress

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Positive Progress Empty
PostSubject: Positive Progress   Positive Progress EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am

This has been a productive morning for Daniel's Daughter. I spent most of it freewriting; that seems to be my best way to get the creative juices flowing. It helped me to consolidate my ideas for the early chapters, where I need to engage both returnees from Redstone's Valley and newcomers (who were silly enough not to have read the first book first Rolling Eyes ). Much of the first chapter that I posted in the WIP Concepts section stands, with a few changes. I now know how to introduce all three time lines and connect the RV storyline to the DD one.

I have a tentative outline for the book - enough to finish setting up the yWriter program.

Guys, if you haven't looked into this freeware aid to writing novels, I really do recommend it for helping to stay organized and to be able to put everything in one place so you can keep track of it all.

I also got some great feedback last night, during family dinner at daughter Lynn's. Her mother-in-law is in the process of reading it. She told me two things that made me feel really good. She liked the way I wrote my sentences, and thought that the short scenes were very effective in moving the story along without having to go into too much detail. (Thank you, yWriter.) I was especially pleased about that last, since my feeling is that most readers today don't have time for reading long books, and that if I work at being carefully concise, I can tell a longer story with fewer words.

Haven't actually written much new text, but maybe by the end of the day, I can put a new teaser into the WIP. (With possible spoilers for those who are reading but haven't finished Redstone's Valley.)

I have a much clearer idea now re how to incorporate the story of what happened to the Comanche bands, thanks to the Empire of the Summer Moon book that I critiqued in the Writer's Cafe. My preliminary perspective holds, but still a lot of valuable info, and reassurance that my hunches were factual.

Later Positive Progress 925501

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Positive Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Positive Progress   Positive Progress EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 12:30 pm

8/31/2012

Ann..

Congratulations ! I had a friend for 30 year who was a film

editor, she would read my writings and told me the following.

Writing and editing a story is like editing a film, make it short and

to the point because people get bored reading on and on.So I

always try to remember that, my book I just finished I created my

murder scenes short, no one knows who the killer is and the ending

is a big shocker....Keep up the good work..

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Positive Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Positive Progress   Positive Progress EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks, Joe - you, too.

The afternoon and evening have been productive. I've posted part of the result in a new Concepts thread: Daniel's Daughter officially begins, if anyone is interested.

The trickiest part, especially in the beginning, is to start the new book in a way that will be interesting to those who have read the first book without completely losing the new readers who are starting en media res.

I haven't even begun to think about editing yet, so the problems with the technical stuff will likely be there - you don't need to tell me about it, but if anyone would be willing to comment on that starting a sequel thing-y, I would appreciate it, and promise not to play WDY-YB. Very Happy

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

Positive Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Positive Progress   Positive Progress Empty

Back to top Go down

Positive Progress
Page 1 of 1