Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

My farewell to the PA board

Go down 
+16
dtpollard
Gina
Brenda Hill
E. Don Harpe
Don Stephens
alj
A Ahad
Pam
Betty Fasig
zadaconnaway
Abe F. March
Phil Whitley
Shelagh
lin
Carol Troestler
Dick Stodghill
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 4:52 pm

I don't see anyone's blood boiling. Do you, Ann?

I truly do not care about PA. If someone chooses to publish with PA, that's his/her business. I simply hate when someone labels someone else as a 'basher' who has an 'agenda' when they say anything negative about PA.

Discussions about different publishers are very informative and interesting. If we listen, we can learn a lot.

For instance, I learned about Vanilla Heart Publishing. While they're not the big boys in NY, they offer some great things, and I'm very happy with them.
If anyone's interested, I'll post on another thread what I've learned about them.

Last edited by Brenda Hill on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 5:42 pm

Brenda,

I think that Ann stated the problem is insulting people's choices. I don't mind differing opinions or disagreements on publishers. When we stick to the publisher there is no problem. I believe almost everything in life has good points and bad. Same with PA. When the discussion goes to authors, then I have felt it was bashing, and I admit I have had hurt feelings and sometimes "boiling blood."

I have never understood why a group of people would go on and on about bad things about PA. I don't believe most are trying to save anyone. They give false expectations also, but that is my impression. I have sent out my materials to many, many publishers. I've had some "almosts" but no contract besides PA. According to some of those speaking badly about PA, that would mean I'm not a good writer, but in the rejections have been comments that my book was a "fine work." I just haven't hit the right publisher, or I haven't written what the public wants.

And congratulations Brenda on finding another publisher. Information would be great.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 6:10 pm

Those that are familiar with me know that on several other message boards I was a very outspoken and staunch defender of Publish America, and had more than my share of arguments with those bashers who seem to be everywhere. I did so not because I have any great love for PA, but because most of the time the bashers could not separate the publisher from the authors who were published by PA. They chose to lump us all into one large untalented group of writers, and most of the time they could not make an attack on PA without attacking those of us who had books with PA. To me there is a vast difference between the two, and I chose to voice my opinion whenever I encountered one of these very rude and not too talented persons. I looked at the works of many of them and found that for the most part they were "published" by some electronic publisher, or that they too were self published, or else they were published by some publisher that no one had ever heard of. I saw that they had about the same chance of making it to a true best seller list as did those of us who were published with PA, and to be very honest and very frank, I saw very few of their books that I thought were as good as my own. Let me qualify that by saying that I think I am a competent writer, that I have some degree of storytelling talent, and that I have learned over the years how to best put my thoughts on paper. I saw very few of the bashers who had anything any better. I may never make a bestseller list, but if not, then I don't feel I am a failure, especially not by their definition of failure, which is anyone who is published by PA.

I stated over and over, to no avail, that I had my own reasons for publishing with PA, and that I not only understood the contract I signed with them, I signed it because it allowed me to move a bit farther down the path to my own goals. Of course, I met with nothing but derision, and none of the bashers had the slightest idea of what I was talking about.

At last I decided that it was not worth my time in trying to carry on a meaningful discussion with a group of people who didn't understand the concept, and so I moved away from those boards and stopped to be a voice of reason among a group that could only see their own narrow point of view.

I understood all along that not everyone, and that includes a lot of authors who are published with PA, was happy with PA. That was fine with me, but I saw that as their choice, and have wondered why it is exactly that they cannot respect my choice, without making all of the ridiculous assertions that they have made. I have stated time and time again that I don't care at all who is published by whom, that it is not my business and that they are free to be happy or not with their choices regardless of how I might feel about it. It makes no one bit of difference who your publisher is, if I want to read what you have written I will do so. However, and some here can bear this out, I have seen stupid statements made by those bashers who say they would never consider reading a book published by PA. To me, this is pretty much a sign that the person who said that is not very intelligent, and probably doesn't have a hell of a lot of writing talent.

I have said here that I'd like to get my rights back from PA. I would like to do so, but not because I am unhappy with PA, rather it is because I'd like to pursue other avenues with the two books. If I get the rights back, that will be fine, but if not, then I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, and I'm not going to immediately turn my coat and join forces with those I have been so opposed to for the past couple of years.

I think there are some talented people who were published by PA and became unhappy with their relationship, and wanted more for their books. I understand why they wanted out of their contracts, and I wish them the best. I also think there are some people who signed with PA and expected to have a run away best seller, and when it didn't happen they found it impossible to admit that they had written a book that wasn't very good, and not being able to blame themselves, they blamed PA. I find it strange that some of the most outspoken of the PA bashers of the past two years have not been successful at getting their books on the bestseller list, even though they did manage to get their contract back from PA. Could it be that they didn't have a very good book to start with? That's my opinion, but of course, I haven't read most of them, so my opinion is not very well informed.

I do not visit the bashing boards any longer, and I don't jump to the defense of PA at every opportunity as I once did. Not because I feel any different, but because I have learned that the most avid of the bashers have nothing better to do with their time, and their bashing posts are the only thing that has given them any voice for the past year or so. I don't want to waste my time any more by replying to their posts, which, by the way, haven't changed hardly at all since the time they first started making them.

This is a very long post, and I apologize for it. It doesn't offer much in the way of new thoughts, and does very little to clarify my own position. But then again, it says what I wanted to say, and I guess that's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Like Dick said in another thread, not everyone wants to be published by the big publishers. We each have unique goals: to continue to improve as a writer, to find a reputable publisher if not a big publisher, to learn. Tonight I read through some of my quotes on writing. They are filled with depth and meaning, most of which I have yet to achieve.

My mother loved my books. She told everyone at the nursing home she was proud of me. Her books are dog eared and I have kept them.

I saw my books in print, bound between front and back covers. They got reviews and my grandchildren thought it was great that their grandma had a book published. If not for PA I would have none of that. My writing would still be on the closet shelf.

And I made friends, most of them here.

We each have different goals, some that change over time.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 8:34 pm

Carol, Vanilla Heart has been great. In a short time, they've sent press releases about my new book, Beyond the Quiet, created a pre-release video, and sent the manuscript out for early reviews.

They're also going to re-release Ten Times Guilty next summer, and I'm thrilled about that. As an indie press, they obtain the LOC number that libraries need to order books. And, whenever I have a question or concern, they're right there with an answer.

Fantastic.

Plus, I love their covers.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 10:33 pm

It sounds great Brenda! Just what should happen.

Congratulations.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Very interesting comments pro and con about PA.
It has been my experience on several boards that a “guest” will make a
post that leads to confrontation. Good or bad, it is a choice we make to respond.
As long as there is no censorship, we should be free to discuss pros and cons about anything. If we were all of like minds there wouldn’t be anything to discuss. I don’t know of a perfect company or person. If someone wants to share their bad experience with PA to get it of their chest, so be it. Who else can they share that with except friends? If someone wishes to share his or her good experiences about PA or any other publisher, that’s also good. Putting someone down for expressing an opinion is not debating a subject. It is often an attempt to protect the choice they made.
As with Don and others, thanking PA for being their launch pad is appropriate. For one to say that PA would never again be their publisher can have positive reasons. Moving on is simply good business. In reality, PA was not the first choice for many but simply a backdrop to get published. I think it can safely be said that if PA did such a great job in all areas there would be no reason to move on. Can it be that PA has not progressed but regressed? Can it be that those who move on wish to progress?
Why have people left one forum to move to another? If they were completely satisfied would they have moved on?

Brenda, I don't think an apology is needed. You stated your view/opinion. Your experience as a writer and editor has value. That is simply my view.
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 pm

Thank you, Abe. I appreciate it. My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 846271
Back to top Go down
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 4:28 am

I missed the farewell post by you Dick. As I've told you on other occasions, I followed your posts. If others don't want to listen to your advise, it is their loss. I personally have learned a lot from you and from everyone else on this board. I do stop by once in a while, but don't post. I know at least where to find you all.

Life has been busy for me this last year and I haven't posted as much on the PA board or here. I think PA has their good points, and I too knew what I was getting into when I signed my contract.

I too got tired of the censorship of the PA board. I remember last year for Christmas I started a thread on What Christmas means to you. It was deleted by innocenter.

Shelagh, thanks for starting this board. I like the thought of coming here and not reading a bunch of bashing. I like how people can post their opinions without fear of repercussions.

Carol, I've been praying for you.

Vickie
Back to top Go down
http://www.torylynn.webs.com/torylynn
A.W. Nut

PostSubject: Guest   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 5:13 am

Abe Said: Very interesting comments pro and con about PA.
post that leads to confrontation. Good or bad, it is a choice we make to respond.

Merry Christmas Abe, I hope you are enjoying the season. The posts this “guest” made were only my opinions. I am entitled to my opinions the same as you and free to express them. They were never intended to spark confrontation. When going with a publisher that is entirely the authors decision to find the one right for them. I do not care who you or anyone else on these boards chooses to publish with. Publishers were a secondary element to my original post. What I was more interested in conveying was the following message. Authors regardless of their experience or fame should not berate new authors struggling to have their works published. I do not believe I can say it any clearer. If this creates confrontation then perhaps one needs to look inside one’s self and ask the question why?

A. W. Nutter
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 5:54 am

Vickie, it is good to see you here. I hope you come here often. And the prayers have been making a difference. I am doing amazingly well. The blood marker for cancer has gone down from 1300 to 713. 38 is normal, but since they are only trying to get this down to a chronic controllable condition, it probably won't get that low. I am walking much better than I ever expected, feeling much better, and don't have an medical appointments for two weeks!

A.W. Nutter, I hope you join us as a member. This has been a very good discussion on PA. Experiences on other messageboards have gotten in the way.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 6:06 am

Carol, I really like this message board, but work has kept me very busy. I hope this year I can actually begin to write again. I mean seriously. I'm glad you are doing better and you can be sure the prayers will continue.

I wish for you and everyone else here to have a nice Christmas Eve and a wonderful Christmas. My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 356119

Hugs,
Vickie
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 6:09 am

Merry Christmas to you Vickie! My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 356119 My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 845458

Love, Carol
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 8:38 am

A.W. Nut wrote:
Abe Said: Very interesting comments pro and con about PA.

Merry Christmas Abe, I hope you are enjoying the season. The posts this “guest” made were only my opinions. I am entitled to my opinions the same as you and free to express them. They were never intended to spark confrontation. When going with a publisher that is entirely the authors decision to find the one right for them. I do not care who you or anyone else on these boards chooses to publish with. Publishers were a secondary element to my original post. What I was more interested in conveying was the following message. Authors regardless of their experience or fame should not berate new authors struggling to have their works published. I do not believe I can say it any clearer. If this creates confrontation then perhaps one needs to look inside one’s self and ask the question why?

A. W. Nutter
A.W.

Abe was referring to guests on another foum (author society, I think) not here. I received your email and I am about to set up a username and account for you. I will send an email as soon as it is set up.

~Shelagh

Last edited by Shelagh on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 9:56 am

My apologies, I do not listen well either. Thanks for setting up the account for me.

A.W.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/abcedit
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:09 am

You are most welcome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:11 am

Tory Lynn wrote:
Carol, I really like this message board, but work has kept me very busy. I hope this year I can actually begin to write again. I mean seriously. I'm glad you are doing better and you can be sure the prayers will continue.

I wish for you and everyone else here to have a nice Christmas Eve and a wonderful Christmas. My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 356119

Hugs,
Vickie
Thanks Vickie! It's always a pleasure to see you. Have a great Christmas! My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 845458
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:16 am

E. Don Harpe wrote:
I have said here that I'd like to get my rights back from PA. I would like to do so, but not because I am unhappy with PA, rather it is because I'd like to pursue other avenues with the two books. If I get the rights back, that will be fine, but if not, then I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, and I'm not going to immediately turn my coat and join forces with those I have been so opposed to for the past couple of years.
Good luck with this, Don! I hope it works out for you ... and Merry Christmas! My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 356119
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:38 am

Since no one else seems willing to say it, Merry Christmas to me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 11:59 am

Dick you get a special Merry Christmas and a big hug from me. I hope you have a very good Christmas.

Hugs, and more hugs,
Vickie My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 356119 :rendeer:
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 2:11 pm

I had an unexpected phone call today!!

My husband answered the phone and brought it to me and said it was someone from PublishAmerica. And it was Mr. Meiners, head of PublishAmerica!! There is a thread on the PA messageboard that was started after I was diagnosed with cancer, and I had given them an update today that I was doing well. Mr. Meiners said he had read the thread and my response and said he was calling to wish me well, that he liked my upbeat attitude, that he thought a lot of the authors!!

He was quite nice. He has a little foreign accent, and was very friendly.

And that's what happens when you have never been banned!!! You get a phone call from the owner!! But maybe he was calling many authors today, even those who had been banned. It was quite a nice call.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 1:32 am

Carol,
I’m sure it was a surprise to get that call from the President of PA. Seems adversity causes people to start doing the things that they should have done long ago. Often when a company is flying high they forget the people
responsible for their success. Sometimes it comes too late.

The excitement of new authors needs support for that motivation to continue and bring results for themselves and the company. In the case of PA, they were not equipped for the sale of books to the marketplace. That is not just my imagination but also a fact.

Case in point: My sales were good and I sought distribution within the Middle East where I had contacts. The Director of the main library in Lebanon wanted the rights for distribution of my book throughout the Middle East. He said he would place an initial order of five to six hundred
books to start. He would arrange for a book signing in Beirut and expected many sales. He predicted thousands of books to be sold with his connections in the M.E. marketplace. I sent an email to Author Support giving them the email and telephone number of the man. They didn’t respond. I sent several more emails and they responded saying that the man could give them his credit card number and they would send books as with any customer. I tried to explain that he should be treated as a distributor – not an end user. He was looking for a deal as a distributor and with volume purchasing, the normal shipping costs would need to be handled as bulk shipments. With no response, I sent a letter to the President explaining the situation. I then got an email from Author Support
telling me that the President didn’t accept or respond to letters from authors, and that I would have to deal directly with them. I placed a phone call to the President but the call was directed to Author Support. In the meanwhile, two months had already gone by and the man in Lebanon began to lose interest. He inferred that PA was unprofessional and didn’t appear to be interested in doing business. He was right. When Author Support finally said they would be willing to accept a letter from him there was no longer any interest to continue on the part of the distributor.

Having had that experience, was I supposed to love PA? Was I expected to rally to their support? My motivation to promote my book simply died and it has experienced a slow death in sales especially when the prices were
increased.

That’s my story. Does telling the truth mean one is bashing?
So, if the President has come out of hiding and is starting to take notice to the authors, it is a good sign but may be too little too late.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 6:18 am

I have to agree with Abe that PA never had any interest in selling quantities of books either to stores or to distributers. Their business model is to sell to the authors, and that is really all they are interested in.

I'm glad you got a call from PA's owner, Carol, but I suspect that only the persons who have purchased a substantial number of their own books was on his "to call" list. There's not much of a chance that he was on the phone with folks who had only purchased a couple of copies. Of course, that's good business when you are trying to sell more books to the authors, so I'm sure he knew what he was doing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 6:41 am

Telling the truth is never bashing Abe. I am not surprised at PA's attitude, as Don says PA wants the Authors to purchase and distribute. What I have never understood is why PA flatly refuses to allow themselves to enter into money making oppurtunities.

Carol I am glad the president of PA gave you a call and expressed his well wishes. I have a sister going through the same battle as you and I know what a tough road it is to walk. As always you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Back to top Go down
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 6:43 am

I forgot one thing, I didn't wish Dick a Merry Christmas I thought you were out distributing presents. Merry Christmas Dick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My farewell to the PA board   My farewell to the PA board - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

My farewell to the PA board
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next