Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Events and attitude

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Events and attitude - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 pm

The number of Britons relocating to EU countries is at a 10-year high.

A new study has revealed the increasing number of Britons making use of their freedom to live and work in other EU countries.
The number has increased markedly and the rate of departure accelerated since the 2016 Brexit referendum, according to the report.
Up to 84,000 people are expected to leave the United Kingdom and move to EU countries this year, according to the analysis, which was conducted by the Oxford in Berlin group and the Berlin Social Science Centre (WZB).
The figure demonstrates a drastic increase when compared with the 59,000 who made the same move in 2008.
Migration researcher and co-author of the study Dr Daniel Auer said: “These dramatic jumps tell us we’re onto a significant social phenomenon here whose implications are yet to be understood.”
The study also looked specifically at relocations from the UK to Germany. A similar trend was observed here, with 11,500 people making that move in 2018, compared to 8,500 in 2008.
Citizenship and nationalization figures also follow the same trend. While 622 Britons received German citizenship in 2015, 7,493 were naturalized in 2017, the report states. For the EU as a whole, naturalizations rose from 2,106 in 2015 to 14,678 in 2017.
Daniel Tetlow, one of the researchers behind the study, said that researchers also conducted interviews with people who had moved from the UK to the EU, in an effort to understand the trend.
Changes to the way people see their British identity are part of the explanation, Tetlow told The Guardian newspaper.
“One of the things I find most striking is this new British-European identity that many refer to,” he said.
“And no, it’s not just the privileged metro middle classes; I’ve met proud British mechanics, ex-British forces, British ambulance drivers, British teachers and unemployed Brits, and because of Brexit almost all of them feel a new motivation in being active Europeans, and no less British as a result,” the researcher added.
The analysis is based on figures from the OECD and national statistics offices in the relevant countries.
Quantitative parts of the study looked at British nationals who left the country between 2008 and 2019.
As many as 30 percent of this group said that Brexit had affected their mental health, and half said that they would consider giving up their British nationality if necessary to be able to keep their EU nationality.
The deadline for Brexit is currently October 31st, with an EU decision outstanding on the length of an extension to be offered to the UK.
READ ALSO: EU27 fail to agree length of Brexit extension
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Parliament voted for a general election that will be held on December 12th. This will be the most fascinating election in my lifetime. The result will determine the outcome of the referendum at long last. Many lies will be told during the next five weeks, but most people have already made up their minds. The turnout will be high whichever way the vote goes.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 12:29 am

Yes, it will and have world attention.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 7:47 am

The general election certainly received a great deal of attention! The country gritted its teeth and voted for a swathe of Tory MPs across the north of England, the midlands and most of Wales. The Labour party alienated more than half the electorate who voted to leave the EU. Labour's policy of asking the electorate to vote in a second referendum was met with anger and resentment. One northern constituency had been Labour since 1922; yesterday against all the odds, they voted Tory for the first time in their lives and returned a Tory MP to Westminster. The media are still reeling at the tearing down of the "red wall", and the punishment of the party that would not support the result of the 2016 referendum.
Anti-semitism also played its part, as did Corbyn's marxist policies, all of which gave the Tories a 78 majority. The UK will now leave the EU at the end of January, 2020. With the help of the electorate, the government has turned a weak negotiating position into a strong stance: the electorate is in no mood to be messed with. If the EU plays hard ball, millions of UK customers will refuse to buy European goods. They have been warned.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 9:09 am

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Conjecture by citizens and the media will continue making it a good news story.  We cannot be isolated since we are part of a world-wide economic structure.  The older we get, the more we realize that we cannot trust the words of politicians.  We can only rely on the track records of those involved.  One cannot believe anything that Trump says since his record of lies speak for themselves. He flip-flops when it is expedient for him.  Johnson appears to be of the same mold.  To say one is right or the other wrong is a matter of opinion that only will be sorted out with time.  My gut tells me to be cautious and question everything, especially the motives of power-hungry politicians.  We, the people, must hold them accountable for the promises they make while at the same time evaluate the long-term effects of their actions.  No person or country is perfect.  It is the imperfection that keeps us alert and prepared.   I am more concerned about the effects of climate change that is happening now.  Will we have drinkable water?  Will there be enough food to eat?   Some small Islands have already disappeared due to rising seas.  Where will these people go?  Will they be accepted as refugees seeking safety or will they be rejected?  At my age, I do not worry about survival.  My concern is for my children and grandchildren who will suffer the consequences.  Action now is imperative for the survival of our planet and the creatures that inhabit this planet.  I believe in science.  I don’t believe in politicians.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Events and attitude
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5