Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Bad events are opportunities.

Go down 
+2
joefrank
Abe F. March
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Bad events are opportunities. Empty
PostSubject: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 12:54 am

Bad events are opportunities for doing something good.

We often read stories about disasters that brought people together- neighbors offering a helping hand to those in need. With the bad weather in North America and Europe, I’m sure we will hear more such stories. Then there are the little things that make a difference that no one hears about. I don’t think most people do good things for recognition, but simply react from some sense of decency or instinct. The feeling of satisfaction from helping, knowing it is appreciated, is priceless. I had such a day.

The storm last night with high winds and drifting snow, created problems, especially for the elderly. I went out early to clean my sidewalk and driveway and spotted my 98-year-old neighbor lady struggling with the shovel trying to clear a path from her front door. My reaction was normal. Another neighbor lady of 86, whose husband is 97 and not as capable, was brooming a path and I finished the task. She retreated to the house and came out with a candy bar. I accepted it knowing that to refuse would be unkind. I continued with other neighbors and returned home to change my sweaty clothes with a feeling of satisfaction.

I’m sure most on this forum have experienced similar things and know the gratification it brings from lending a helping hand. “With every adversity, there is a benefit.”
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:14 am

1/9/2010

Abe...

I read last night where in Scotland they were
almost out of milk and bread at the stores, evidently
the delivery trucks couldn't get through, when they did
get a delivery children offered to deliver milk and bread
to those people who couldn't get out, especially the
elderly, it did my heart good to know these children
were concerned ....

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 am

Joe,
bad events bring out the best in people. Those kids have a special reward.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 7:10 am

Human nature has more kindness in it than the newspapers are willing to admit.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 7:31 am

We are so Americanised now, it is becoming a problem helping anyone for fear of litigation. If, by helping people, they damage themselves in an area you provided help, they can sue you.

Same with councils. If a local council does not grit paths and roadways, it cannot be sued if anyone suffers an accident. If the council provides grit and an accident occurs, the council can be sued.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:43 am

Shelagh wrote:
We are so Americanised now, it is becoming a problem helping anyone for fear of litigation. If, by helping people, they damage themselves in an area you provided help, they can sue you.

Same with councils. If a local council does not grit paths and roadways, it cannot be sued if anyone suffers an accident. If the council provides grit and an accident occurs, the council can be sued.

Bad events are opportunities. 748523 The Americanization of Shelagh

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:12 am

Bad events are opportunities. Icon_lol Bad events are opportunities. Icon_lol Bad events are opportunities. Icon_lol Bad events are opportunities. Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Shelagh,
there's always the danger of falling into a sewer.

I don't believe most people would refuse to help someone in need for fear of being sued. Natural instincts take over.
I faced that when I was the first on the scene of an accident. I gave First Aid, applied a tourniquet and placed a splint on a compound fracture. Afterward, I was told that if something I did caused the person harm, I could be sued.
I cannot imagine standing by, watching someone bleed to death, for fear of being sued.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 1:54 am

I agree, Abe. I was exaggerating ... just a little. Bad events are opportunities. 467431
Back to top Go down
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Some people will say that when you serve your fellow man you at the same time serve your God. This is probably true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad events are opportunities.   Bad events are opportunities. Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad events are opportunities.
Page 1 of 1