Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Events and attitude

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10712
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Events and attitude Empty
PostSubject: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 2:21 am

Just a short note to say I’m still alive and kicking.   I’ve restrained myself from commenting on world events since they are for the most part negative.  It is difficult to block out the incessant controversial news while dealing with problems of a personal nature.  My wife is once again in the hospital for treatment of her Myasthenia disease.  She is in good spirits knowing that she is receiving the best treatment available by knowledgeable doctors.  My writing efforts have been placed on hold although I do think about the “little mouse story” wondering if Squeaky and Prissy are enjoying their newfound freedom with new friends.  My imagination takes a positive spin thinking about them.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12618
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 3:39 am

The forum is all but dead, Abe. I'm pleased that you gained something out of the share stories. I send my best wishes to you and your wife. It must be reassuring to know that Gisela is in good hands, although it must be quite lonely in her abscence. As long as you continue to gain something from the forum, I'll keep it going. Take care, and my very best wishes to Gisela.

Events and attitude 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ Events and attitude 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ Events and attitude 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ Events and attitude 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ Events and attitude 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ Events and attitude 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 4:54 am

Thanks Shelagh.  I appreciate your good wishes.  As for the forum, I have always found it to be a safe haven.  It was a place to share ideas and even to vent frustrations.  There was a time when it felt much like having a second family. Whatever the future holds concerning this forum, I will be forever grateful to you for providing this forum and the people I met that I could call friends.  Some of those friends have departed this life.  They left us with forever memories with their comments and the books they wrote.  As someone once said, “What you say, disappears, but what you write, stays.”
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am

Perplexing events causing concern.  The news is dealing with Brexit, airline disaster, terrorist attack on Mosques in New Zealand along with environmental disasters.   We are living in troubling times to be sure.  Cause and effect are in an active mode.  Although we hear about the effects, too little is mentioned about the cause.  If we can set aside politics where power-seeking individuals blind us to reality, the basics stare us in the face.  Our environment is at risk.  The deforestation of the Amazon forest is having an effect on world climate.  Without a favorable climate to sustain life, all else is less important.  One can talk about the effects of melting ice bergs in the Arctic and Antarctic with rising sea water and storms hitting coastal regions yet little is done to stop or even reverse these effects.  Then there are the harmful effects of poisonous sprays used on our food chain, the killing of bees necessary for pollination, the destruction of the habitat for wild animals further disrupting nature. Without a sustainable environment, we are on a path of destruction where other concerns become less important:
The role of religion, past and present, in world conflicts continues. History repeating itself using religion for political gain – greed and power the dominating factors.  So-called leaders are contributing to the conflict with rhetoric stimulating racial hatred and separation.  Economic greed, including land-grab and oil reserves take precedence over the sanctity of life.  Our survival is teetering on the brink as the elite concentrate on profits while the rest of the population suffer from lack of essential services, including healthcare.  Pollution is not just from the air we breathe, but from the garbage littering our land and seas.  Fish and fowl are dying from plastics in our throw-away society.   
It is not a pretty picture and one hesitates to dwell on the negative, however turning a blind eye can lead to our destruction unless we take action.  For many, the only action available is our voices and our vote.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 6:38 pm

Brexit isn't the only problem we face in the UK, Abe, but it receives the most media coverage. Hopefully, we will leave next Friday without a deal and Parliament can move on to dealing with more pressing issues such as knife crime in our cities, drug trafficking, people smuggling and slavery. All things associated with the Victorian era, yet here we are in the twenty-first century with unacceptable levels of criminal activity and social breakdown. "Lessons will be learned" is an oft heard phrase when children die from physical abuse, or a teenager is stabbed to death, or the families of victims of terrorist attacks have their lives destroyed. Yet, these acts are repeated without "lessons being learned".

Events and attitude 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ Events and attitude 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ Events and attitude 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ Events and attitude 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ Events and attitude 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ Events and attitude 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 11:42 pm

As you stated: " these acts are repeated without "lessons being learned".

As my son says, "What we learn from history is that we don't learn from history."
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 2:12 am

Chaos
We are witnessing chaos in governments, primarily in the US and the UK.  In the US, the Mueller report has not been presented to the public causing much speculation.  The GOP leader, McConnell, has blocked the report from being presented to congress.  The summary provided by the AG is not acceptable raising more questions as to” what they are trying to hide”?  At the same time, Trump wants to totally eliminate ACA (Affordable Care Act) healthcare plan instituted by Obama that was dubbed “Obamacare”.   Any and everything that President Obama did is systematically being overturned by Trump and that includes environmental issues.  This will not end well.
In the UK there is chaos in the government concerning Brexit.  There is confusion within Europe with concerns about the outcome.  The perception by the public overrides the actual facts involved.  It is perceived that the UK public wants to remain in the EU and would prefer a new referendum believing that the previous vote for Brexit was misleading.  At the same time, people in Germany and France are expressing their concern about supplying military component parts to equipment produced in the UK that is slated for delivery to Saudi Arabia. 
In the Middle East, Israel continues its land-grab using security as their excuse to eliminate the Palestinian population.  Jerusalem has been named the capital of Israel and now the Golan Heights has been granted to Israel by Trump.  It is not a valid acquisition and will be debated in the UN.  Oil is the primary objective for a company affiliated with Dick Cheney.  He is the robber- baron that made a financial bonanza with the Invasion of Iraq.   
The youth in numerous countries are taking to the streets demonstrating about environmental concerns.  I applaud these young people who realize the consequences for failure to act now while there is still a chance to reverse the effects of climate change.
We are experiencing “history in the making”.  The truth will eventually come out and be recorded as history.  People will ask “why didn’t they (whoever they are) didn’t do something.”  The same question was placed on the German people as to why they didn’t do something to stop Hitler.  Information was not readily available in times past.  That is not the same situation as we have today with the I-Net and search tools available for information. 
While we have access to information, old testament philosophy is rampant with end-time predictions associated with prophesy that some fanatics want to see fulfilled.  My inherent optimism has taken a big hit.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 4:58 am

Tomorrow, the UK should be leaving the EU without a deal. Parliament gave the Prime Minister permission to ask the EU for an extension. Theresa May informed the House that she would seek an extension until 30th June. The EU rejected this date and, instead, offered 22nd May if the Withdrawal Agreement passed in parliament. If it failed, a short extension, for no purpose whatsoever, was added as an alternative. Without putting these two new dates to Parliament, Mrs. May sent a letter to the EU accepting the two dates, 12th April and 22nd May, which are now written into international law and cannot be changed. Can you imagine the uproar if Donald Trump did this kind of thing in America?

Instead of leaving as expected, we now have to wait until 12th April. The country expects to leave on that date, but the politicians that are supposed to represent the UK are arguing among themselves in a way that will prevent the UK leaving. The law they passed -- EU (Withdrawal) Act -- is now completely at odds with what they want to do. The country supports the law and feels betrayed.

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 7:34 am

In one of your earlier posts, Abe, you said that the elite were behind the leave campaign. Those marching on the capital tomorrow after a 250-mile walk are ordinary, working-class folks:

https://brexitcentral.com/as-the-march-to-leave-nears-westminster-join-us-and-help-stop-the-brexit-betrayal-in-its-tracks/

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 9:53 am

News reports can be misleading prompting one to jump too quickly to judgment.  Having said that, following the money is revealing.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Withdrawal Agreement failed again. Mrs. May just can't take  hint.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 2:23 pm

I was watching that on TV and was thinking about you.  The Chaos continues.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 9:10 am

A speech about Brexit by Dr. Alice Weidel:

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 10:59 am

An excellent presentation.  Curious to hear Merkel's response.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Parliament is bonkers at the moment. More later.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 11:34 pm

Bonkers or Chaos - a choice of terms to describe a gridlock in Parliment. 

From the point of view by an outside observer, there is certainly confusion.   To stay or not to stay, that is the question.  On the positive side, it certainly diverts attention from the mess in Washington. 
Confusion may become the new political strategy to keep people off-balance.  Uncertainty has unhealthy side-effects.  While attention is diverted to domestic issues, foreign powers are making moves to strengthen their influence in troubled areas.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 am

The UK is fed up with the whole process. Theresa May made a statement five minutes ago saying that she always said, and still believes, that the UK could make a success of a no-deal exit, but she isn't going to allow that to happen. Instead, she will ask for another short extension that doesn't go beyond May 22nd. She wants the time to set up an alternative deal to the one in the political declaration.

So the next two months will be spent changing the deal. Parliament will then vote on the Withdrawal Agreement for a fourth time, and she hopes that enough Labour MPs will vote for it to push it over the line. Any deal involving a customs union with the EU will alienate pro-Brexit, Conservative MPs, 180 of whom wrote to the prime minister this weekend, asking to leave without a deal. Looking at the arithmetic, the chances of the Withdrawal Agreement passing with a new deal involving a customs arrangement are very slim.

The EU is faced with saying enough is enough now, and the UK must leave without a deal, or allow the chaos to continue and face the same deadlock on May 22nd.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Speechless.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 6:13 am

The situation with BREXIT has become even more perplexing.  The actions within the British parliament adds to that confusion.  I tried to take a step back for a reality check. A strong Europe united with common objectives was an honorable undertaking.  Two countries fought against this union – the US and Russia.  They perceived a powerful EU would interfere with their world dominance.   Having a central governing body in Brussels to administer the UNION was fraught with problems that continue to this day.  Having a central governing body interfering in domestic affairs was too much to accept, i.e., telling a baker how much sugar or butter was allowed in the dough for bread, went too far.  On the flip side, controlling the products shipped to other countries with clearly defined labels showing ingredients and the product origin was positive for consumer protection. Unfettered trade without tariffs was also positive.  A common currency, eliminating the ever- fluctuating currency exchange rates, was a positive factor for international business.    
There were rules established for being a member of the EU with provisions for exit of any member should that be desired.  There were also rules/stipulations for countries wishing to join the EU that dealt with economic stability.  Unfortunately, there were some countries that falsified their economic strength, like Greece, that subsequently required bail-out money to keep them in the EU.
The current problems associated with Britain’s desire to exit the EU is a dilemma.  Bending the rules to satisfy one country will set a precedent.  Some observers feel that if anyone doesn’t want to belong, let them go, however an important country, like Britain, for a united defense is troubling.  NATO has been the target of Russia and Trump has played into this scenario with false claims.
The balance of power is shifting to the East.  Trade is the power-force being used.  Tariffs play a major role in this power shift.  Where the UK was the headquarters for many foreign companies, some are already moving their headquarters elsewhere.  Where important component parts and other products produced in the UK can no longer be relied upon, other sources will be sought.  The statute of limitations for some pharmaceutical drugs may expire and cause other companies to produce their own.  I personally cannot see the overall benefit for withdrawing from the EU.  Yes, there are domestic issues better served by local governments.  The Germans would rather have the DM (Deutsche Mark) as their currency that was a strong and reliable.  Belonging to any group (union) requires compromise to make it work, just as it does in a marriage.  Divorce can be problematic as we are witnessing with BREXIT.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 7:21 am

At 11.30pm last night in the House of Commons, a bill passed by one vote and is currently being debated in the House of Lords. A Labour MP, wearing an electronic tag, provided the vote that passed the final reading of the bill, immediately prior to it going to Lords. A convicted criminal was allowed to vote on a bill that will eventually become the law of the land. Anything Donald Trump has done since he took up office pales into insignificance compared to what is going on at the moment in British politics.

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 7:49 am

A letter to Westminster sent at 4am, 24th March, 2019, to the Speaker of the House of Commons:
Dear Mr Bercow,
My name is Ruth Newton, i am 57 years of age and i live in Preston Lancashire. However, it has become more and more apparent in recent days that in your eyes and the eyes of the so called House of Westminster that i am a nobody. I am not a Politician, i am not a Celebrity, i am not a Barrister nor a Banker, i do not run a Business, i am a Mother and a housewife, i left school at Easter 1978, my reason being was that i was offered a job as a switchboard operator, something i always wanted to do and loved doing, but not because i was too thick and stupid to do anything else. The company in question couldn't wait until summer to fill the position so between myself and my parents advice i made a decision to leave school slightly earlier as i had no wish to go to college or university we felt that this was an offer i couldn't refuse. But let me make one thing very clear, far too many people like you make a judgement on someones intelligence on the mere basis of whether or not they attended University, that seems to be the general trend today and the million dollar question in order to get anywhere, and seems to be the influence when making an assumption about someones ability and capability to understand basic facts. THAT is precisely what you, every Politician within Westminster and the Media have just done to 17.5 million people in this country. You have ALL made an assumption that 17.5 million members of the British Public have absolutely no idea what their talking about, or that maybe their general level of intelligence isn't up to scratch. Well please allow me to enlighten YOU on some of the facts that the likes of you are obviously not intelligent enough to understand, either through lack of basic education which i doubt is the case, OR ignorance and arrogance, the latter being the most likely. Firstly, it seems to me personally that the Politicians have forgotten exactly who their employers are, Theresa May does not pay their wages or yours, the Queen does not pay their wages or yours, WE your employers pay your wages, the Plumbers, the Electricians, the Builders, the Cleaners, the Police, the Nurses, the Street Cleaners, the Fire Service, the Shop Assistants, the Engineers, the Bakers, the Mechanics, The Carers, the Teachers, the Doctors, the Taxi Drivers, the Lollipop Ladies, the Dinner |Ladies etc etc etc etc need i go on? all of whom are under paid and unappreciated by Westminster, yet they are your employers, they are everything this country once stood for, the backbone, the very essence of what makes this country tick and what once made this country GREAT. Those are the people you have to answer to, those are the people you have to report to, and those are the people who can sack you in a New York minute via VOTES. These are the basic facts that you and the Politicians of ALL parties have either forgotten, or chosen to ignore.
If when i worked, and regardless of where i worked i continuously turned up late, or i was continuously having days off without good reason, or that i ignored my boss and did the job as i wanted to do it rather than the way he/she expected me to do it i would eventually be sacked and replaced without question. Whether or not i thought MY way was better would be completely irrelevant, as i was there to do the job i was employed and paid to do, that's hardly rocket science, it's the way things work.
So i suggest that YOU go back to Westminster, gather your heard of leaches and explain how it works. You tell THEM that at their Employers request they either do the job they are paid to do, and may i just add very well paid to do, resign, or be sacked. They must pack a bag, pick out their most comfortable walking shoes, get on a bus or a train paid for out of their own pockets and go back to their individual constituencies and knock on the doors of their Employers instead of sitting in their comfortable safe haven called Westminster, laughing, smirking, using their mobile phones or falling asleep whilst debating such serious matters.
Come and speak to the people who gave you the privileges NONE of you deserve, face the music, face the backlash of your arrogant actions, look into the faces of the people who can take away those privileges just as quick as they gave them to you and without another single thought. That is what YOU Mr Bercow must tell the cheats, the liars, the corrupt arrogant politicians and as a matter of urgency.
Should they choose not to take the advice of their Employers then the consequences i can assure you will be costly and will be felt for generations to come....that is the burden you and they must live with, holding you and the politicians solely responsible..its the price you pay for arrogance, betrayal and deceit.
Finally, should you decide to Revoke Article 50 or continue down the road of planning a second referendum, going against the very foundations on which democracy was built and stands for, then the one thing i very personally and sadly feel is that you should then do the right and justified act of abolishing ALL commemorative events in connection with the British Legion and the people who gave their lives in both two world wars and including recent conflicts in the name of that democracy, as to continue with such a farce, a lie and utter disloyalty would be like trampling on them whilst they lay dying in the trenches, it would be like drilling holes in the boats and crafts that took 1000's of brave young men to Normandy, in the full knowledge that they were going to die, but drowning them before they got there. It would be like spitting in their faces and sniggering at their family members left behind. A pointless act, and an act of betrayal, and all for what? The Politicians would then have no right to be seen laying wreaths at Cenotaphs across the country, or wearing poppies with pride, none of us would, we would have lost and given up that right because WE allowed the death of democracy to happen.
WE would ALL be responsible for having let them down and failed them...that, being the FINAL INSULT.
We the people of this country are not thick, uneducated, ignorant nor arrogant, and we are certainly not nobodies...we are driven purely by fairness, loyalty and above all passion, a passion for democracy, and once that passion is betrayed and democracy is lost, it will never be returned. That is not what i want for my Grandchild, and the thought of it breaks my heart.
Democracy is priceless Mr Berwcow, and that is what YOU must enforce through the will of the people and their voice. It's your job.

Yours sincerely
Ruth Newton

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 11:20 am

Wow.  That was powerful.  I'm waiting, as I'm sure many other are who read this statement, to hear the answer. 
There are similar voices  being raised in the US concerning the same problem.  We the people have a voice and it must be heard.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 2:56 am

Two weeks ago, Mrs. May requested an extension until June 30th. The EU said no and offered alternative dates. Today, she asked for an extension until June 30th, knowing they would say no and offer alternative dates.The EU will basically agree to anything provided it keeps the UK in the EU.

Meanwhile, 55% of the country want to leave without a deal on April 12th.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 6:52 am

The plot thickens
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am

Just five parliamentary days to go. EU summit on Wednesday. Agree an extension on Thursday. Last ditch vote for Withdrawal Agreement that nobody wants on Friday. Shampoo, rinse, repeat.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude Empty

Back to top Go down

Events and attitude
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-