Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Events and attitude

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Events and attitude - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 2:11 pm

The heatwave won't last, Abe. Cooler temperatures are on the way. In the UK, an old saying is to expect the same weather as the US in a fortnight's time. On the summer solstice, June 21st, it snowed in Yellowstone Park! We are anticipating something similar during Wimbledon fortnight! Possibly a hail storm instead of snow.

Playing the piano in church sounds the perfect way to spend a hot summer's day.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/06/yellowstone-snow-summer-solstice/

Events and attitude - Page 3 Yellowstone-usa-wildlife-park-11
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 9:35 pm

In the meanwhile, the ice is melting in the Artic.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 1:31 am

Events in the world are cause for concern.  What to do about it remains the dilemma.  Relying on a future vote is no insurance.  I just hear that Trump passed the 12,000 mark in lies he told since taking office.  The situation in the UK is still in turmoil.  If anyone thinks that they can rely on Trump to take up the slack in a no-deal Brexit, they are blind to reality, IMV.  Trump does not honor agreements.
Yesterday I did a search to learn more about how the EU was formed and who were the founding fathers of this Union.  It is an interesting read.  You can do your own search if interested. Learning about how and why – getting to the roots, provides a better analysis for what the ramifications may be.  Honor and integrity are lacking in today’s world of government.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Angela Merkel is keen to talk with Boris Johnson. What she will say remains to be seen. Another extension will solve nothing. It will cause even more chaos. If the UK does not leave on 31st October, a general election after October 31st will turn UK politics upside down. The electorate will vote for the MPs that support their preference for leaving or remaining. Labour will do very badly because the remain vote will be split between the LibDems and Labour. The Tories will have to work with the Brexit Party to avoid the leave vote being split between the two parties. There will be an angry reaction against the EU's attitude towards the UK's departure, which will be demonstrated in the general election.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 am

Every day we wake up with new concerns.  I keep asking myself the question, why? Why is this happening?  In business when there is a problem, an analysis is conducted to break things down into their component parts seeking the root cause.  In every family, even though the children are from the same parental source, the personalities of each child differ and it is the parents that provide the control and guidance required for harmony.  Even in the best of families, there is usually one rebel. Globalization fails to consider the concerns (personalities) of individual countries.  As related to the EU, although the idea of a parent (headquarters) for control was good, it failed with the basics – the autonomy of the participating countries.  In Europe, each country has its own language and the language affects cultural habits and desires.  Trying to make all countries as one was/is not possible.  An alliance for a common purpose as with defense and trade was/is good.  Allowing for deviation to satisfy the needs of their domestic population remains the sticking point.  My own analysis, fragile as it may be, boils down to power and greed as the primary culprit.  I’ve come to believe that there is truth in the statement that “money is the root of all evil.”   Money gives power and power corrupts.  That is evident within countries and/or the family of countries seeking dominance.   Individuals that have no political ambitions provide us with commonsense and promote the big picture – the effects of today’s actions.  The number one concern that affects everyone is “Climate Change”.  There are still people that refuse to acknowledge scientific evidence and even ignore the growing effects that are happening now.  The seas are rising, there is no denying and the catastrophic effects are yet to be realized.  Hindsight will not save us.  Instead of waiting for a global decision, it is up to us as individuals to do our part in curbing pollution while at the same time making preparations for survival in a worst-case scenario.  The older folk, those that survived war and the aftermath, are reverting to the basics.  Planting one’s own garden, preserving food in the old-fashioned manner is gaining notice.  None of these things will save us, however it will tend to extend the life we have remaining.  The rich will find that they can’t eat money and will become poor while the poor will become rich, having produced the things important for survival.  Barter may replace money when currencies cannot be stabilized.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 11:13 am

Climate change advocates don't follow their own commitment to reducing their carbon footprint. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are keen supporters of reducing CO2 emissions, and yet they take flights around the world for their own enjoyment. Recently, they took a flight on a private jet to Elton John's home in the South of France. Elton jumped to their defence to say that it was his private jet. So flying around the world in a rock star's private jet is okay, then, because he can afford it!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Hypocrites.  People with money (power) attempt to jiustify anything that would inhibit their accustomed lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Boris Johnson has been given 30 days to come up with an alternative to the Irish backstop. Seems pretty straight forward apart form the fact that the EU wants solutions to the backstop that are in the political declaration, which is not legally binding. I don't think the DUP will buy that. A no-deal exit still seems to be the UK's best option.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 am

Reportedly, the Queen will be asked today to suspend parliament from September 10th until October 14th, when she will be expected to make the Queen's Speech to start a new session of parliament. More about this later.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 am

Interesting indeed.

The crisis facing us all is the environment related to Climate Change.  The Trump didn’t even show up for those discussions.  Trade and Brexit were discussed while the life-sustaining rain forest is burning.  If we can’t breathe, all the money in the world won’t matter.  It was easy to distinguish between the leaders that showed concern for the welfare of the planet and its people versus those who were centered on ambitions of power.  We are witnessing self-destruction with eyes wide open.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2019 7:23 am

The Queen gave her consent:

Events and attitude - Page 3 EDD9qAyWsAA5VJY?format=jpg&name=small

The burning of the Amazon forests seems to be the most pressing issue of the day. What is Trump doing to assist Bolivia?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 8:52 am

This week is going to be momentous.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 9:44 am

I was watching the debate in the UK Parliament today on CNN.  I was impressed with the debate.  I agree with you that it will be hectic and interesting what happens this week.  The opposition to Johnson is strong.  Thank you for keeping us informed.  The perspective from someone living in the UK has more weight than an outsider view.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 1:42 am

Unloading.
Events happening are not theory.  We are watching the chaos in the UK as it pertains to Brexit.  We are watching the devastating effects of the latest hurricane Dorian.  We continue to hear about conflicts around the world, particularly in the Middle East region.  Prioritizing these concerns is difficult for the citizen realizing that politics play a role in all these events.  Civil unrest is gaining steam.  In the US, guns control is desperately needed to save lives.  Gun violence, primarily mass shootings, is on the rise.   
In my view, the major concern is our environment.  Scientists are painting a picture of catastrophe.  Some feel that it is too late to affect a change while others feel that if immediate action is taken, there is still hope.  Clinging to hope is helpful for our well-being, but it does not solve problems.  There are various clichés used as pacification, i.e., “Thoughts and Prayers” - “Platitudes and best wishes”, none of which will undo the damage done nor will they revive the dead. 
Climate Change predictions include the scarcity of food and water.  Migrations will be a common occurrence for people escaping violence and those seeking food and shelter.  Will morality affect opinions or will self-preservation take precedence?
We rely on people in power to take the appropriate action only to be disappointed.   Their concerns appear to be self-centered – money motivated and power hungry.
Resistance is a powerful tool.  The voice of the people can be effective.  Demonstrations, verbal expression, boycotting and as writers, the written word.  Taking sides is important.  One cannot remain neutral when our lives are at stake.  Avoiding discussions on sensitive issues is no longer a rational choice.  It implies an “I don’t care” attitude.  Looking the other way to avoid controversy has consequences. 
That’s enough unloading for now.  Don’t expect me to keep my mouth shut.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 am

As expected, it was a momentous week in politics with court cases, parliament taking control and passing a bill, the opposition being offered a general election and refusing it -- effectively a vote of confidence in the government, which has lost its majority. Twenty-one Tory MPs lost their status as Conservative MPs and three MPs left the Conservative Party, including two cabinet ministers, one of whom is the Prime Minister's brother.
Yes, the world is in turmoil, as is our political system. Next week promises to be as eventful as last week. Watch this space!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 am

Last night, Paliament once again voted against a general election. The EU granted the present extension to give the UK the oppprtunity to form a new government by general election, in the hope that a new government would have sufficient numbers to pass the Withdrawal Agreement, which the EU has no intention of changing.

Parliament is in no mood for allowing a general election before this extension expires on October 31st, and instead has passed legislation to force another extension. The EU says it will only offer an extension for a general election or a second referendum. The numbers are not there to vote through a second referendum, and parliament has twice voted against a general election that would change the balance of remain/leave MPs, which is presently made up of predominantly remain MPs. It looks very unlikely that a general election or a referendum would gain the support of the present parliament during a further extension.

The Prime Minister has made it clear that he will not be seeking an extension, and the UK will be leaving the EU on October 31st.

Parliament has been prorogued until October 14th. The next five weeks will either bring about no change in the current impasse or produce a negotiated settlement that will be finalised at the EU summit. 

When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, something has to give.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 am

Boris (Trump) Johnson is in trouble.  His meeting at the G7 with Trump may have helped to lead him astray.  Not only are people in his cabinet deserting, but he said that he would rather be dead than go to Brussels and ask for an extension.  He may not be dying physically; however, he is dying politically.  If he thinks that a Trade deal with Trump will save him, he is stupid.  Trump doesn’t honor agreements.  Teresa May is looking better with every passing day.  She was prepared to honor the agreement worked out with Brussels.  She made mistakes; however, she was not stupid.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 3:40 pm

It depends on your perspective, Abe. Everything you said could be true. Conversely, Boris could have weighed up Donald Trump and is massaging his ego, which Theresa May wasn't willing to do: they didn't get on. She certainly wasn't clever enough to forge a good working relationship with the American president. In diplomatic circles, you don't have to like one another; you just have to pretend that you do. 

The deserting cabinet are deadbeats and good riddance to them, including Churchill's grandson, Nicholas Soames. Boris is well rid of them. They would do nothing but mischief. 

Dead in a ditch is a reference to the time that British soldiers (and Dick Stodghill) spent in ditches in Belgium. Rather be dead than beg those whom our forefathers saved in two world wars. 

He is actually growing politically and is more poular than Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn put together. 

Boris is not stupid. He's an Oxford graduate and speaks several languages, which doubtlessly will prove useful when dealing with EU leaders and negotiators. Neither Trump nor Boris pay a great deal of attention to details, so they have at least that in common; neither one will be trying to impress the other with facts and figures. 

I won't pass judgement on Theresa May's intelligence or lack thereof, but she certainly overestimated her importance to the Conservative party, which she all but destroyed in her obsession to get her deal through parliament. Had she stayed, the party would have become unelectable; that would have been her legacy.

Last edited by Shelagh on Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:03 am

Sitting on the sidelines with opinions are usually based on perspectives formed from media sources.  Who is right or wrong with these perspectives will be determined with time.  Using terms such as “stupid” or “intelligent” are simply impressions formed by actions and words by the parties involved.   I admit to being guilty of forming opinions.  I have strong negative opinions about Trump formed by his actions and words.  The number of lies he has uttered are recorded.  Who can trust the word of a pathological liar?  Even if he spoke the truth it would be questioned.  I have little exposure to Johnson and my opinions are based on his rhetoric, body language and those with whom he associates.  The cliché, “Birds of a feather…” is meaningful.  Trust must be earned.  I am amused with the “In God we Trust” that is printed on US Currency and promoted as a God-loving country.  I find it difficult to accept that premise when the so-called Christians rely on guns to keep them safe.  The number of gun deaths don’t support this premise.  I am at the age where I hope to be wrong in many of my opinions.  Changing them is difficult.  I value honesty even when it hurts.  I would rather be respected than liked although both is preferred.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 am

On Monday, Parliament passed a motion requiring MPs to reveal all communications in written and digital format concerning advice given to the Queen about proroguing Parliament. Today, three Scottish judges ruled that prorogation was unlawful without seeing the evidence. We live in troubling times. Bit by bit, our democracy is being eroded. A hundred years ago, women did not have the right to vote. Today, everyone can vote, but their voice is being ignored.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Shelagh, I agree with what you said about our eroding democracy.  Voting has been the only tool by the commoner to have a say, however that voice is being suppressed.  One cannot trust electronic devices as some are programmed to change the voter’s selections.  Paper ballots are being requested as a safer means.  It may be safer, but still not secure dependent on who does the counting/processing. 
We are living in troubled times.  Women are still struggling for equality.  It is still a male-dominated society and I doubt that it will change.  There are those who use scripture to justify their dominance over women. Enlightenment is not desired, even with Climate Change.  We have only our voices to express our desires and dissent.  Resistance is important.  Women in government is a plus.  They are more inclined to seek peace as well as being concerned for the welfare of its citizens.  Veterans oppose war.  They have even given up their earned medals demonstrating their dissent.  That happened both in Washington and in London.  I believe it is our duty to take a stand against evil in all forms whether that be verbal, in writing or participating in demonstrations.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 8:31 am

Boris met with Juncker and Barnier for a chat over lunch. Nothing will happen until mid October. The press will continue to make up stories in the absence of any real news. The fun and games will start next month when parliament has to decide whether or not to pass the EU's new terms in the Withdrawal Agreement. The main objective will be to seize control by any means they can, with scant regard for agreements, deals and exiting the EU. Our parliamentary system is unable to cope at the moment. There's a strong possibility that Labour and the Tories will be destroyed in the next general election, with the Brexit Party and the LibDems forming the two largest parties. Interesting times.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:47 am

The chaos about Brexit continues.  There was a program on German news about German and British firms making contingency plans involving- moving headquarters and personnel depending on the outcome.  I also caught part of a statement about a book that was written where the author said that the year was 2137 and the UK was still seeking an extension from the EU.  Don’t know the name of the book or the author, but the absurdity with the situation continues to generate comment.
In the meanwhile, rumors of war are taking over headlines.  The Saudis blame Iran for the damage to their oil refinery and are pulling the US into the fray.  Oil and money seem to dictate actions without regard to the cost to human lives.  Trumped up evidence to invade Iraq with the objective of taking over the oil fields cost thousands of lives and created ISIS.  The problem with Iran began with Trump cancelling the nuclear deal that was being honored.  Trump has no credibility and I believe he wants war to preserve his Presidency since historically, a President is not changed during war time.  It is appalling to think that any sane person would sacrifice lives for monetary gain and power, however they do and the current person occupying the WH is insane, IMV.   
The most pressing problem concerns Climate Change.  None of the activities being debated will matter without a livable planet.  We are witnessing self-destruction and feel helpless to correct it.  Priorities are being ignored by those in power that can make a difference.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Tomorrow, the Supreme Court will give its verdict on whether the proroguing of parliament was unlawful. The UK has an unwritten constitution, so a ruling on an unwritten law that does not exist is absurd. It's late in the UK, so I'll post again tomorrow after the ruling has been announced
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 12:16 am

I previously posted about the effects of prescription drugs required by my wife that were produced in the UK.  Yesterday when she got her prescriptions filled, the boxes (containers) with the drugs indicated that they were being produced in Ireland, The Netherlands and Denmark.  Apparently, the contingency plans are already in process.  The long-term effects of Brexit are yet to be realized.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Events and attitude
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next