Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Any Suggestions?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-05-18

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 10:45 am

Does anyone know of any online publishing companies besides Publish America and Tate Publishing? I'm looking for a company that is author friendly and will help an author get their book out to the big companies like Barns and Noble without having the author buy copies of their own books and doing a lot of donating. Also, I'm looking for a company that will exept any type of genre of writing. I write fantasy. I'm also looking for a company that won't send you emails gallore asking you to buy so many books and then get an ex amount for free every day, and then not send the books that you paid for, even though they sent you the free copies. I'm also looking for an online company that won't charge you for submitting a manuscript.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Vampireheart, what you're looking for is a commercial publisher. Neither Publisher America nor Tate are commercial publishers, though they have a lot of misleading stuff on their websites.

Get a copy of Writer's Market. You'll find lots of publishers there. Also, look at fantasy genre books in the bookstores and library for who published them.

Have you done that already? If not, you'll need to learn how to write a competent query letter and competitive material.
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Hm...I'm not sure what the Writer's Market is. Is it a magazine or catalog? I'm not sure that we have that we're I live. But looking at where other books got published is a good idea. I'll be sure to start looking and asking around.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:32 pm

http://www.amazon.com/2010-Writers-Market-Deluxe-Online/dp/1582975809/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276133437&sr=8-1

Check out the "also boughts," too, lots of useful stuff there.
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. Any Suggestions? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
FranW

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Vampire Heart -- yes, you want a commercial publisher.  There are lots of them out there, from the very big names (DAW, Tor, Baen, Luna) to small independent presses (Small Beer Press, Mundania), and also e-publishers.  I would suggest checking out these two market lists:

Duotrope lists markets for novels and short stories in all genres.  Ralan lists markets for novels and short stories in speculative fiction (fantasy, science fiction, and horror).  And if there's a publisher you're not familiar with, you can check it out on Absolute Write to make sure they're not a scam.
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm fairly new to the publishing world, so I don't know many of the publishing names that are out there.
Back to top Go down
FranW

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Sorry, my urls didn't come through in the last post!  The market lists you want are Ralan's Market List and Duotrope's Market List -- you can find them by googling ralan and duotrope.
Back to top Go down
FranW

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm

If you're looking for a large commercial publisher (the kind that pays advances in the >$3000 range) go to your local bookstore, check out the fantasy section, and write down the names of the publishers there. Then google them to find their websites, and from there you can find their submission guidelines. 

Alternatively, google and get the website of the Association of Authors' Representatives, and look up all registered literary agents who represent fantasy.  Then go to their webites and find their submission guidelines and query them to see if they would represent you and sell your book to a publisher for you.
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Sounds good. I'll have to start looking around and doing some research whever I have the chance.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:57 am

FranW wrote:
Vampire Heart -- yes, you want a commercial publisher. There are lots of them out there, from the very big names (DAW, Tor, Baen, Luna) to small independent presses (Small Beer Press, Mundania), and also e-publishers. I would suggest checking out these two market lists:

My impression was that Vampireheart is looking for a real publisher, not a micropress that pumps out electrons (e.g., Mundania). And I'd suggest to anyone that they learn how to critically think for themselves, instead of relying on AbsoluteWrite, with its horrendous signal to noise ratio, to learn what's a "scam."
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 7:49 am

Hm...Well, I'm looking for something. Because the publishing company that I'm with now, doesn't really do a lot to help you out. It does very little, and most of what the author has to do is buy a lot of their books, and do a lot of donating. I'm also looking for something that requires little to no pay...
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 7:59 am

Vampireheart -totally understandable.

One way to weed out the real publishers from the Role Playing Gamers is to check their sites for mention of "author marketing plan." It's code for, "We do little, what are YOU going to do?" I just checked Mundania's site -yep, that code phrase is there. Next.

Last edited by LC on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 am

Createspace, Lulu there are lot of POD publishers out there. I've been reasonably happy with Lulu for three years now. I would suggest trying the mainstream publishers first and if you don't get anywhere then try looking into Lulu and Createspace. Also see how others veiw your work, a good site for this would be Authonomy.com it is run and funded by HarperCollins, a rather big name in publishing.

Last edited by thehairymob on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 am

Createspace and Lulu are not publishers, they're printers.

And thinking that Authonomy is a legit outlet for a writer because it's "funded by HarperCollins" is exactly the kind of non-critical thinking that gets so many people in trouble.
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:10 am

Lulu and Createspace are POD publishers. Contrary to what you think Lulu doesn't actually print anything , they send your work to their printers. If a book sell online with like Amazon, then it is either printed by Amazon's printing devision or Lightning Source, you do know who they are? Authonomy is a good place to get some reaction from other writers. Yes you have to take a lot of what is said with a pinch of salt but their are some of us that try to give a our true opinion of the books they read. Vamp if you do go to Authonomy check the forums and find a thread there called"One for the scifi buff" leave the name of your book there and I will happily have a look, I'm a fan of the genre.
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:22 am

Well, the only place right now where you can see my book is www.publishamerica.com. You can also read a short exerpt from my site http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res6r1tq/. But, I'll have a look at what you've suggested.
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:52 am

I see you like anime both my son and daughter are heavily into that. Though they argue about Naruto, my son thinks its wimpy but my daughter is a big fan. Smile
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:56 am

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 7:08 am

Writers Market list all publishers, Agents, and what they want. This book is out each year...printed by Writers Digest Books.
www.WritersMarket.com

Hope this helps.

Domenic
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks. I'll have to check it out when I get the chance. I've been doing some research, but...nothing so far.
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 7:42 am

Here in the UK we have the Writer' and Artists' Yearbook which does the same thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 7:47 am

Oh. That's cool. But I'm not from the UK though...
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 8:43 am

There are varying opinions about its worth; however, Preditors and Editors and Absolute Write have sections where they list information about potential publishers. Use your own judgment, but it is another source of information.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Well, I'm looking for something anyway... Any Suggestions? Icon_lol

Any Suggestions? Pic_inspectpath
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Any Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions?   Any Suggestions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any Suggestions?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next