Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Becoming Mr. Martinez

Becoming Mr. Martinez

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?   Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions? EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:54 am

Hi, just want to vent. Evil or Very Mad I've been working on a "Becoming Mr. Martinez: A Modern Immigrant Journey" for three years now. First the edition in English. Now, we have translated it to Spanish and working on the final edits. But believe me when I tell you, every time I open my files to edit, I feel overwhelmed. And feel like there is no end...Has anyone felt like this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gersonmartinez.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?   Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions? EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:20 am

Probably every writer. I finally read mine into a tape recorder and in the process, that was another edit. Then I listened to it; that was another edit. I broke it into pieces and took a piece with me to appointments and felt great to finish one piece. Someone else may have other gimmicks. Edits to my own work are not the fun part....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Becoming Mr. Martinez

Becoming Mr. Martinez

PostSubject: Re: Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?   Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions? EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:24 am

oh wow...you have just added at least one more edit into mix (reading it for cd)...no bueno...but thank you for sharing...greatly helpful to know it is just not me.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?   Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 2:13 am

Sometimes, I edit in my sleep. I have put together three anthologies now with contributions from 70-80 authors from around the world who write British/American/Canadian/Australian/ English ... and some for whom English is their second language. For the several months it takes to read every story, edit, re-read, make final edit, my mind is constantly in edit mode.

This year I published three books written by other authors: On the Way to Siberia (translated from German to American English), An Introduction to Mechanics of Human Movement (first published in 1983, now in its fourth edition), and Forever Families, an anthology of short stories. Somehow (I know not how), I managed to write a 10,000+ words short story that is my best writing to date (judged by others, although I agree). I assume that all the editing work is the main reason my own writing has improved. The harder we work, the greater the improvement. Keep on working!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?   Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am

This is how I work, but what works for me may not for others.

Every time I sit down to write I go back and re-read at least the last chapter of what I've already written. Then I begin to write, starting with what changes I've decided on while doing the re-read. When I write "The End", I read it ONCE more, then turn it over to someone else to read. I have found this works for me, otherwise I never finish, because every time I read through it, I want to make changes. When I changed publishers with BEARKILLER, I rewrote it again.

When you have a third party edit for you be sure it's someone you trust can be unbiased and you will accept correction from.

Last edited by D. J. (Don) Stephens on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Becoming Mr. Martinez

Becoming Mr. Martinez

PostSubject: Re: Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?   Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 am

awesome!! thank all three for your comments... feel at ease and much more comfortable with taking my time...thanks again for the wonderful advice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?   Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Editing Still -Getting Overwhelmed any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1