Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Life in the fast lane

Go down 
+6
madhatter
P. Gordon Kennedy
lin
zadaconnaway
Abe F. March
Pam
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Life in the fast lane Empty
PostSubject: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 7:45 am

This week, gas in Nova Scotia hit $1.35CDN per litre, which is approx
$5.25US per US gallon. Our illustrious mayor said, well, with gas so
expensive, people should either buy hybrid vehicles or take the transit (bus).
The transit department said well, that's nice, but we only have the
infrastructure in place to accept a 3% increase in ridership (and the
buses only service about 500,000 of the 1 million people who live in
the province--and there is no more room to allow for people to park cars at the edge of the city and take a bus from there to do a partial drive and then bus). Hybrid cars are still very expensive and although they
make a reasonable and efficient city car, they have not proven
themselves as a car of choice in winter climates.

Some days I think I should become a hermit. Life in the fast lane 634186
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 am

Pam,
this is not intended to be a "top this" answer, but I am paying 1.52 Euros per liter. At $1.60 for 1.00 Euro and converting to gallons, it is approximately $9.00 per gallon. It sucks! Spending more than $100 to fill a tank of gas is not good at all.

I use my bicycle where possible and public transportation when feasible. I'm not going to throw away more money than absolutely necessary.

When I think of the cause of all this, and to quell the urge to kill, I pour an extra Schnapps. No, I'm not going to use that as fuel for the auto but is soothing for the soul.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:42 am

Honestly Abe, it actually makes me feel a little better that you could top it, because you know how much misery loves company! I grew up in the heart of oil country and so even up to last year was only seeing gas at most $1 per litre. To have it increase like it has in a country that is truly oil rich makes me crazy, especially since we do it at the expense of other things.

I am not such a big Schnapps drinker, however have been known to imbibe in Amaretto or a nice glass of wine from time to time. Tonight could be the night!
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 9:11 am

We are just under $4.00 a gallon here. (that was yesterday, and I haven't checked today, so it may be over that by now!)

Seattle is pushing mass transit, and has been for some time now. They have gotten trains for those who commute long distances to the city, and mass transit here is fairly good in cities.

The main problem for many is that the hybrids are not always as fuel efficient as advertised. The electric cars they have are great at 25 mph, but not good for country or highway driving: and that is what most folks drive. If you live in the city and don't stray into areas where you need to go more than 25, they aren't as good as they sound. Of course, I suppose even a little savings is good.

I live waaaaaay out in the country, so instead of a drink, I think I will go to the back porch with my morning coffee. There, I can gaze at the cows in the pasture and consider how much a horse would eat. It would probably still be cheaper than a new car!

Last edited by zadaconnaway on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 9:18 am

The US should have done what I advocated thirty years ago, tax gasoline up to $6 a gallon and use the money to build tranportation infrastucture like other countries have instead of shopping malls with bedrooms around them.

I go years without owning a car even in the states and spend most of my life in the third world where one thing I enjoy is not needed a car.

What's happening now is that as reserves decrease the demand is actually skyrocketing.

It'll end in tears, mark my words. Next time they'll listen to me.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 9:27 am

In this state, the big problem has been that the gas tax goes in the general fund, even though it is earmarked for roads. If there is anything left over after the politicians get done with the general fund, then the roads get fixed!!

What a set up. I think I will run for office one of these days and straighten some of the bozos out!!
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:02 am

Where I live, gas is still (luckily) under $4.00 a gallon. The actual price here is about $3.60, but it will no doubt go up very soon. Also, the price of desel seems to be a major problem for the economy. At about $4.25 a gallon, many priviate truckers and even some trucking companies are being squeezed out of business. The high price of desel is also in large part responsible for the increase in food prices, due to increased transportation costs. In fact, the cost of opperation for many big trucks has more than doubled since 2004. Shocked One thing continues to amaze me about the increase in the cost of gasoline, it seems that no matter how high it goes, people don't seem to cut back their driving much (at least where I live). confused There are definately more cars on the road today than there were in the late 90's, and many big pickup trucks and SUVs too, many of which have only one person in them and no cargo. I would think people would want more efficiant vehicles, but I guess the lure of a huge engine and massive vehicle is still irresistible to many. Mayby, if the gas price goes much higher, people will start buying more efficiant vehicles and doing things like carpooling, walking, and riding bikes more often. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 am

Zada you have my vote! Perhaps Gordon could be your running mate and Abe, Lin and I will be your volunteers! bounce
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:54 am

I can ride Zada. I got my bike and I know where I can get my hands on a horse. I'll have to find a big Pamper for the horse though. However, I refuse to use the Pamper while riding on Pennsylvania avenue.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:08 am

There is a farm with horses just down the street and over the highway from here. I'll have to check that out...although my last horseback riding expedition ended badly, but that's a tory for another thread.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:10 am

Pam,
I'd really like to hear that "tory" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:16 am

Oops, thanks for proofreading Abe (it always pays to throw in a typo and sees who's reading!)--har har.
Since you asked, I'll start it in a new thread here somewhere. A little bit of horsing around.
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 pm

The thing that constantly amazes me, especially with gas prices being what they are...

always, there will be some yahoo in a huge SUV who snorts by me in the morning (I'm doing the speed limit, or a bit above), only to end up beside me at the next traffic light.

I suppose some things will never make sense to me. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Yeah Rhett, I love that part too. A little just deserts or something. That's when I love to smile my winning smile at them as I putter away from the light...
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:48 pm

Out here, when the roads are snowy/icy in the winter, you will see the 4X4's passing those who are cautious. I am one who gets passed, When I venture out, that is.

I love it when I go around a curve, and the guy who passed me a few miles back is now on foot, having landed in a ditch. They think they are invincible!

Rhett, I always have to laugh at those who are in such a hurry to reach the next stoplight! I usually just hope their brakes are good!
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 4:41 am

The only thing that would make it better; a PA system under my hood so I could comment, "Hey, buddy. See that worked well for you, eh?"

Then again, in this age where everyone but me seems to be packing heat, it's probably best I don't have one...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:57 am

When we left Seattle, it was because I was threatening to put a cattle catcher on the front of my car and mount a cannon in the front yard to shoot down the planes over head that were taking off every two minutes!

I know, why live near the airport if you don't want the noise? In the few years that I lived there, the air traffic increased by about 1,000% ! And half of California had not yet moved to the area.

Now, living waaaay out in the woods where the loggers work is a joy. If I pass three other cars on my way to town I figure someone gave a party, and I didn't get an invitation. Of course, with the price of gas, I only go to town when it is absolutely necessary, and combine all my errands in one trip!

You are right about the 'heat' thing, too, Rhett. But since it has become such an issue, other drivers tend to mind their manners better!

I have a carry permit, but the 9mm that is registered to me stays locked in the car. It is more for use on aggressive 4 legged critters in case I break down somewhere between here and there and must proceed on foot. The woods are crawling with things like cougar and bear, just to name two.

Last edited by zadaconnaway on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 9:07 am

My solution, madhatter, is for all cars to have cellular phones with the same number as their licence plate. So you can call them up and discuss their driving deportment.

Failing that, I'm a fan of armor-piercing technology.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 7:22 am

lin, I like that idea. But they could still retaliate. I would want non-pierceable armor (is that even a word? You get my drift I think, though) !!
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 am

Hey, if the Army can't have it, why should you?
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 8:23 am

Personally, I think everyone should have it, especially the military!
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySat May 10, 2008 8:48 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Pam,
this is not intended to be a "top this" answer, but I am paying 1.52 Euros per liter. At $1.60 for 1.00 Euro and converting to gallons, it is approximately $9.00 per gallon. It sucks! Spending more than $100 to fill a tank of gas is not good at all.

I use my bicycle where possible and public transportation when feasible. I'm not going to throw away more money than absolutely necessary.

When I think of the cause of all this, and to quell the urge to kill, I pour an extra Schnapps. No, I'm not going to use that as fuel for the auto but is soothing for the soul.

Ah come on! Let's play "top this"!

Our truck's fuel tanks hold 280 gallons. Heh! You should see the total on the fuel pumps with diesel at over $4 a gallon!!! affraid

And the interesting thing I noticed when we were in Ireland.
Yeah, fuel was higher there. About double what it was in the states a year and a half ago. But I ALSO noticed that the autos had smaller fuel tanks and got MUCH better fuel mileage than our most economical autos here. In fact, it seemed the autos in Ireland got about 3-4 times better mileage than here. We had a rental car for a week and drove it all over the island and didn't spend any more on fuel than we would have in the states, because it was much more economical to drive. And it was a decent mid sized car. Held four adults and luggage rather comfortably.

WHY can't auto makers make those kind of cars here?????
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySat May 10, 2008 4:06 pm

A partial answer: lots of economical vehicles are illegal in the US. I'm used to seeing LOT's of cars and mini-trucks and 3 wheeled cabs and such zipping around that would be incredibly illegal in the US.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySat May 10, 2008 4:19 pm

It keeps going up and up and up! Today where I live, Diesel hit $4.45 a gallon and regular gasoline $3.83. Yesterday oil hit $126 a barrel and there seems to be no end in sight. I wonder how long before it's $150 a barrel, how long before $200? Unfortunately, I think we might see those prices sooner than we think. The greed of those who control the oil seems to have no end. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by P. Gordon Kennedy on Sat May 10, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane EmptySat May 10, 2008 5:32 pm

JoElle they can make those cars in the US; they choose not to.
Years ago when they were developing battery operated cars, the oil companies as well as their investors apparently purchased the patents and then shelved them, which set development back by many years. One of the things that I am really loving around here is a concentrated effort to get people to shop locally, from local producers. The more we do that the less we drive and the better things look all over. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life in the fast lane   Life in the fast lane Empty

Back to top Go down

Life in the fast lane
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next