Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  Empty
PostSubject: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:21 pm

In the olden days of my life, I was starving.  That is not a dramatic statement, it was the truth.  There was no food.  Not a weed.  Not a green thing that could be picked out of the wild that I knew about.  I was a little child.  I did not know much.   I did not know that if you had 23 beans that those 23 beans would produce many bushels of beans.  If you had 10 rotting potatoes, you could grow bushels.  If you had the eyes of 5 sweet potatoes, you could have 80 potatoes.

I have learned.  Three weeks ago, I planted 23 beans.  This day, it is the second picking of the bean plants.  The first picking produced 20 pints of canned beans.  This picking is more abundant.  

I wish that people were taught to be sufficient unto them selves for food.  Labor for your own food is beautiful.  Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:52 pm

I haven't had a real garden since I divorced.  A few pots of herbs, sometimes a tomato plant or two,a big pot of "salad": lettuce, green onions, radishes to go with the tomatoes.  Not for a while now.  I cannot stay outside long in the San Antonio heat.

but my favorites were the black-eyed peas.  Being able to pick them and shell them myself, and chopp a bit of my own bell pepper and green onions.  All we needed to add for a balanced meal was a wedge of cornbread.  

Simple isn't boring Betty.  It's the best way to follow your bliss.

Annie
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:58 pm

I do love watching a garden grow and picking the vegetables.  However, I don't like the bugs and weeds and things you spray to get rid of them. 

We have a community garden in our little town where people pay $50 a year for a plot to plant their stuff.  The earth and water are part of that $50.  They just planted recently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 8:27 am

dkchristi wrote:
I do love watching a garden grow and picking the vegetables.  However, I don't like the bugs and weeds and things you spray to get rid of them. 

We have a community garden in our little town where people pay $50 a year for a plot to plant their stuff.  The earth and water are part of that $50.  They just planted recently.
When farms were small, the farmers planted flowers between the vegetables. The bugs always go for the flowers, and don't bother with the vegies.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 12:03 am

Good point, Domenic.  Some of the Winzer (Wine Growers) plant Roses at the beginning of the Grape rows.  Insects go to the roses and the Winzer can identify the type of insects to control when spraying the stalks.  That doesn't mean that harsh chemicals are used, but rather substances that are hot harmful to humans.  They are called "Bio" wine growers.  It is more labor intensive and requires more frequent spraying in that it doesn't stick to the leaves or grapes on the vine.  The chemical sprays stick to the leaves/grapes and requires less spraying.  When one buys wine the label doesn't indicate that the grapes were treated with chemicals, however those that produce "Bio" wine promote it as such.  It cost a bit more, but is a better and safer wine.  

As for one's own garden.  I can't imagine not having one.  As a child in Pennsylvania, my parents always had a garden and we learned how to prepare the soil, plant and then care for the garden.  My mother did canning and we had food that lasted the winter.  Today it is much easier.  Instead of canning, freezing is the fastest and less labor intensive.  There is much savings in the cost of food over the winter.  In addition, one knows that what one eats is safe.  Although gardening can be labor intensive, there is a bright side.  Watching things grow and then harvesting is a great thing plus the benefit of exercise.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 7:17 am

The problem I’m having now is gophers. If I plant, they will eat everything. I know how to kill them, but…the little suckers have to live some place. Since I can’t make a deal with them, people are telling me to use poison. My gophers aren’t stupid, they tunneled under the cement walk way. The cement is laid over gravel, so any amount of water piped into their holes, sinks into the gravel. Now who can not like a little creature with smarts? Besides, they have a life, and to them it is as valuable as ours is to us. It’s not like I need to have a garden to live. My gophers on the other hand need to eat something. Maybe I can find something they will like to eat, and change their taste buds? If I could do that, I could plant two gardens, one for me, and one for them.

Anybody have ideas on what type plants I could addict them to?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 6:45 pm

My sister-in-law had a beautiful garden fenced in with a pretty white picket fence with an arbor entry.  She went out to pick vegetables and was faced with a buck pawing in the earth and his family close behind.  He was not giving ground to her, and she felt in danger, running back in the house as the deer took over her garden, eating it down to the earth and calling in their relatives.

She turned it over to them.  Each year volunteers come up and they return for their fill.  She still gets enjoyment from the garden of a different kind.

My mother has had pet rabbits for years - well, not really pets but they return to eat the tender shoots off her bushes and stunt their growth regardless of the fencing she puts around them.  They climb on it and knock it down.  She gave up on vegetables but has a beautiful wild flower garden.

She sits at the dining table and watches her rabbits and their families, year after year.

The point of all this?  You seem to have the right idea about your gophers.  I don't like killing animals whose earth we have taken either.  When I had rats and snakes I had the people come who don't kill them but caught them and took them somewhere other than my house.  Their habitat, many acreas behind me, was destroyed to dig a hole called a "lake" and build condos and a few houses around the hole with the fountain in it.  During the destruction my home and yard was the recipient of misplaced rats, snakes, armadillo's and gopher turtles. 

The poor turtles would come lumbering into my yard, look around and realize it wasn't their dirt in the woods and head back for the fence they came under.  The armadillos made a mess of my dirt around the shrubs, but their little ones were very cute and ancient looking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 9:30 pm

dkchristi wrote:
My sister-in-law had a beautiful garden fenced in with a pretty white picket fence with an arbor entry.  She went out to pick vegetables and was faced with a buck pawing in the earth and his family close behind.  He was not giving ground to her, and she felt in danger, running back in the house as the deer took over her garden, eating it down to the earth and calling in their relatives.

She turned it over to them.  Each year volunteers come up and they return for their fill.  She still gets enjoyment from the garden of a different kind.

My mother has had pet rabbits for years - well, not really pets but they return to eat the tender shoots off her bushes and stunt their growth regardless of the fencing she puts around them.  They climb on it and knock it down.  She gave up on vegetables but has a beautiful wild flower garden.

She sits at the dining table and watches her rabbits and their families, year after year.

The point of all this?  You seem to have the right idea about your gophers.  I don't like killing animals whose earth we have taken either.  When I had rats and snakes I had the people come who don't kill them but caught them and took them somewhere other than my house.  Their habitat, many acreas behind me, was destroyed to dig a hole called a "lake" and build condos and a few houses around the hole with the fountain in it.  During the destruction my home and yard was the recipient of misplaced rats, snakes, armadillo's and gopher turtles. 

The poor turtles would come lumbering into my yard, look around and realize it wasn't their dirt in the woods and head back for the fence they came under.  The armadillos made a mess of my dirt around the shrubs, but their little ones were very cute and ancient looking.
Well, I don't know why God made Gophers, but I'm sure he had a good reason. Like you, I think it's better to share the land. The creatures have as much right to it as we have. As far as I know, my gopher family may have homesteaded this land 1,000 years ago. I'm sure they think I should move.
Spiders now...that is a different story. I kill spiders in a heart beat.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 10:30 pm

I can tolerate much, but spiders and snakes are on my kill list.  Fortunately, there are no snakes where I live and that is something tha pleases me.  Spiders however seem to flourish everywhere.  We are plagued with moles.  They were on the endangered species list and it was illegal to kill them.  Now they are out of control and people are taking matters into their own hands.  Cats do a good job catching them, but those they miss seem to migrate to my yard.  Sometimes I get the feeling they are laughing at me saying, "Catch me if you can." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 4:15 am

Mother Earth looks after all her creatures. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love    I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love  Empty

Back to top Go down

I know that my life is boring, but it is my life and I love
Page 1 of 1