Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?

Go down 
+10
LC
Shelagh
madhatter
lin
thehairymob
alj
Abe F. March
dmondeo
Don Stephens
joefrank
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? Empty
PostSubject: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:14 pm

1/12/2010

Hi Everyone..QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? Icon_biggrin

Major question, which do you think is better a lap top
computer or a desk top computer ? I've asked around including
a neighbor of mine who's in his 20's, he's a computer geek, he
even repaired this one for me. I'm planning on buying a new table
top computer HP Wireless, I feel a lap top doesn't have the power
or storage like a table top one. A friend of mine said I'm wrong, I say
I'm right. Another reason I wouldn't have a lap top is if I took it some
place with me and lost it I'd be screwed ! What is your opinion ?..QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? 83899

Cheers.....Joe...QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? 634186
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 pm

cherry

Last edited by D. J. (Don) Stephens on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:42 pm

1/12/2010

Hello Don..

So far the score is :

Table Top Computer........ 2

Lap Top Computer............4

Cheers..Joe

Last edited by joefrank on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Joe Laptops have their uses.
I have a lap top and I use it most of the time but I also have a desk top PC built by me which I also use. Storage on a Laptop is not a problem and with the availablity of memory sticks transfering things from one PC to the other is easy.
Losing my Laptop is not an issue because I don't take it out of the house. So in answer to your question 'Neither'.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Dmondeo

Which do you prefer ? One or the
other , I believe lap tops don't have a mouse ?

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 12:05 am

Joe,
Don is right about capability. When I was still employed, I carried my laptop with me everywhere. When I got to the office, I preferred using my desktop. My preference for desktop has much to do with the keyboard. The downside is the space required for monitor, keyboard and the CPU. My vote is for the desktop purely as a personal preference.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 am

I like the portability of a laptop, and the size of the storage isn't a problem, but I've had more maintenance problems with laptops than with PCs. In fact, the only problem I've ever had with my PCs has been with their becoming obsolete. I've had two laptops; both have had faulty hard drives, and one had a bad mother board. Right now my main computer is a relatively inexpensive PC which is very dependable. I replaced the hard drive on my laptop myself, since the last one went out, again, just after the extended warranty expired. It is working fine fight now, so I use it for a backup, and for those occasions when I need its portability. You can attach a mouse and/or keyboard to the laptop when you are using it at your desk, if that's a concern.

Unless you need to be able to move it around and take it with you, I would go with the PC. They generally cost less for the same productivity, so you can put your money into the extras.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:13 am

I would say your friend is right Joe. Laptops can't have the same powerful chip towers can simply because a laptop needws to conserve power whilst on the move. A battery can only power so much, look at the graphics potential of both and very quickly you see the tower can take bigger, more powerful graphics cards. Yes the gap over recent years has decreased but it is still there. This goes for all the components within them processor, ram, graphics, etc, etc. I have built my own system several times now, also work for a time in bulding them in a factory and have be a home enthusiast for many years so keep myself informed of the lastest processors, ram and everthing hardware related. My wife is the software geek so a good balance. I even know more of hardware than my son who has always had computers in his life, hehehe QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:18 am

1/1/2010

I'm still un-decided ?

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:21 am

One way of thinking on this is:

Can a laptop function as a desktop computer?
Yes it definitely can. I have used nothing but laptops and almost never take them out of my house. Sometimes I have them plugged into larger monitiors, bigger drives, cooling fans, cool keyboards, all sorts of stuff.

Now, can a desktop funciton as a laptop?
No. You can't carry it on an airplane, use it in a cafe, etc, etc.

AND, they're getting cheaper.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 am

Lin has a point. I don't worry about my PC crashing this time around, now that the laptop is working properly. I realize how easy it would be to simply use my laptop like a tower, and hook it to my large flat-screen monitor (which I love) and my wireless mouse and keyboard. I could still unplug it and take it wherever I wanted to go.

My main concern right now is that I'm still using XP and Office 2003. Sooner or later I will have to upgrade.

Ann
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 am

That's a forbidding idea, since the Windows versions seem to just get worse and worse.

Evidentally, "7" is less worse than Vista (a dead badger is less worse than Vista") but requires you to reload every little program and periferal because it's not backward compatible.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 11:55 am

I think I will stay where I am as long as I can.

Ann
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Me, too. I have removed Vista from two laptops now and installed XP, which I had to pay for. AND had to run around the web getting all the drivers they no longer support.

I just hate to think of what sort of bloated, cartoon, naggy monster they will be selling by the time I'm forced to move beyond XP.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 am

Joe I like both equally.
The reason I have both is because I have a need for both.
Laptops are portable and now days they are getting more and more powerful. Storage is no longer an issue as portable external hard drives are inexpensive. A local store near me sells a 1 terabite drive for £39.99.
There are laptops with large screens wide screens and tiny screens. All have outputs that connect to monitors or even TV's.
With a laptop you can sit out in the garden under a tree and write to the sound of nature. ( Lovely QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? Icon_smile )
Back to top Go down
Citizen

PostSubject: Laptops vs. Desktops-or the writers friend (The Netbook)   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

I read these forums a lot and rarely post on any, but wanted to say I just bought a small netbook from the Walmart in my area and it has been GREAT! The netbook is a great tool for a writer, just google it and you'll see a ton of articles on netbooks for authors and writers and the advantages of it. I bought the one that went on sale right after Christmas for $228.00 and it came with Windows 7 Starter. Okay, starter is NOT the best windows ever. Unbelievably the windows starter is actually a locked version of Windows 7 Ultimate which cost around $200+ and if you have the key then you can actually unlock the netbooks greatest features for free. Googling Windows 7 Ultimate Cracked and Activated Permanently with OEM SLP Master Product Key (with SLIC 2.1) on My Digital Life will give the key in an article and without connecting to the net you can unlock this version. If you buy a new laptop or netbook, you may find reading this article useful to see if your cheap note or netbook magically unlocks one of the most expensive windows around.

It comes with a new feature that encrypts files and data instantly and even locks devices that plug into the computer (stick memory and other forms of memory) with a password so if you lost your memory stick and someone tried to open it, they get no where fast. There are other new features, when things are lowered to the taskbar you can run the curser over it and a photo of the article or file appears as a thumbnail and you can switch to anyfile you want using those thumbnails.

I've found the saving file feature with libraries to be faster and more advanced than other Windows. You can save a file on the desktop, say you call it "My Novel" and you decide to take notes at random for this novel. Once you click save, it asks if you want to save it in your library entitled "My Novel" which auto saves it to the original file without having you look for it in the favorites. It may sound a bit like the original windows but once you get to play around with it you find a few tweaks and improvements that are so much better.

The netbook comes equipped with many word processing services if you prefer using Microsoft Word Processor or Microsoft Office they are both installed. However, Office must also be unlocked and it is very simple in doing that for free and can be found on the net also. I don't advocate stealing software but some people may be unable to buy this stuff and it may come in handy. I hope it helps in your decision to buy one or the other, or to look at the smaller and more affordable netbook.

One great article is here:

another here:
Back to top Go down
Citizen

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 2:04 pm

It cut out the articles so I'll just say google "Netbooks for writers" and you'll find a few articles that delve into the mechanics of these tiny gems and tell what advantages you may have with them. I want to say I use mine as a first for writing and personal files and use my desktop as a family pc and backup on all files. I hate writing on a large pc.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 2:08 pm

1/13/2010

Citizen...

Thanks...I'll check it out..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 3:27 pm

I have both a laptop and a desktop. Wouldn't be without either. I always back up on external hard drives or flashdrives.
In terms of being better for you...the desktop gets the higher mark. I have yet to use a laptop whose keyboard is ergonomic...my big computer is much easier on my hands.

I love my laptop, though. Like to take it on trips. Love to write in the park. Still, I like having the desktop. Guess I never want to be in a position of depending on one machine. I like the idea of two.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 2:15 am

Splash out and buy both, Joe. QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? 733985
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 12:51 pm

This past week was a prime example of why I have two computers. The big girl Dell crashed, burned, and almost died. She had two hard drives, now down to one.

Thank goodness I back things up beyond all belief, and that I have the laptop!

I like having alternatives, especially when I have several things going and need the computer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Rhett! I will make a backup before I turn off the computer. QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? 733985
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 am

LC,

What kind of computer do you use?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Why?

I use an old laptop since my old desktop bit the dust a few months ago. I've actually been shopping for a new one.
Back to top Go down
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Citizen, on an author’s forum your suggesting that we steal intellectual property?

“Googling Windows 7 Ultimate Cracked and Activated Permanently with OEM SLP Master Product Key (with SLIC 2.1) on My Digital Life will give the key in an article and without connecting to the net you can unlock this version.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?   QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER? Empty

Back to top Go down

QUESTION? WHICH IS BETTER LAPTOP COMPUTER OR DESK COMPUTER?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next