Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Pick-Up Game

Go down 
+5
Shelagh
Dick Stodghill
alice
RunsWithScissors
Carol Troestler
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 1:46 pm

alj wrote:

Now I'm really confused. scratch confused

Ann, I edited for clarity. I meant, what's to stop Amazon from insisting that they POD the pubs' custom-made texts or refuse to sell the pubs' OTHER books?

Amazon UK removed buy buttons for a short time from some major pubs' books (select titles) awhile back. Mine was one of them. I think this was a prelude to exactly that.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:05 pm

I think you really are confusing the issue, LC. You were talking about subsidy books not being vetted. This is just as true for CreateSpace as it is for Lulu or iUniverse. What Amazon allows on their site is profit driven and has nothing to do with vetting books.

Last edited by Shelagh on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:09 pm

I was speculating that as un-vetted subsidy press books become more popular, something may happen that makes Amazon (or any other online merchant) decide it is too risky to sell them. Which would be a profit-driven decision. Ann then asked what Amazon would do with its own press. I imagine they would figure out something. Like strong-arming commercial houses (who vet their books) into PODing only with them. Maybe even requiring them to print all their books only with them in exchange for a buy button. Who knows?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:12 pm

LC wrote:
I was speculating that as un-vetted subsidy press books become more popular, something may happen that makes Amazon (or any other online merchant) decide it is too risky to sell them. Which would be a profit-driven decision. Ann then asked what Amazon would do with its own press. I imagine they would figure out something. Like strong-arming commercial houses (who vet their books) into PODing only with them. Maybe even printing all their books only with them. Who knows?

But they have their own press printing them, so will they refuse to sell their own books?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:12 pm

LC wrote:
I was speculating that as un-vetted subsidy press books become more popular, something may happen that makes Amazon (or any other online merchant) decide it is too risky to sell them. Which would be a profit-driven decision. Ann then asked what Amazon would do with its own press. I imagine they would figure out something. Like strong-arming commercial houses (who vet their books) into PODing only with them. Maybe even requiring them to print all their books only with them in exchange for a buy button. Who knows?
I think your speculating is slightly off. To be honest, I think it is completely off.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:14 pm

alj wrote:

But they have their own press printing them, so will they refuse to sell their own books?

Not if they're commercially vetted books.

Shelagh -I may very well be totally off, wouldn't be the first time. Smile

I'd like to know why the buy button disappeared for several months on my, and other texts on UK Amazon awhile back.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:18 pm

I think there is a long thread on the forum all about it. I'll find it and post the link.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Here's the link:

http://www.publishedauthors.org/information-f21/amazon-putting-the-squeeze-on-pod-publishers-t343.htm
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Shelagh, I'm skimming the thread ...nothing I see in it so far contradicts what I just said.

My published text is not with a subsidy press or printed on demand. It's with a major NY publisher, has been adopted by about 30 universities and colleges, and even has some commercial appeal, because it's on some B/N shelves (with its $95 price tag, lol). About ten or so months ago its buy button disappeared for two months on Amazon's UK site. Buy buttons from same-genre texts from this pub and other major pubs also disappeared. Then they re-appeared. Does the thread address why that might have happened?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:31 pm

I think Abe mentioned that his buy button was back on Amazon.com but no explanation about why his book and not all PA books -- which is weird!
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:38 pm

I finished the thread. Nothing in there contradicts what I said; in fact, some comments supported it.

Hand me my tinfoil hat, because I suspect that the removal of my buy button was part of an experiment to see if Amazon could actually pull something like that off. All the buy buttons I noticed gone were from pubs that participate in a program that allows teachers to customize books from the pubs'(vetted) print books, and students to download and print them up (for a fee, of course).
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:49 pm

There are other choices.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 7:31 pm

Quote :
They've already dropped their Buy Button from every POD except their own, haven't they?

My POD book on Amazon.com has a buy button.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pick-Up Game   The Pick-Up Game - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pick-Up Game
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4