Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Hypothetical Question

Go down 
+5
Don Stephens
alj
Betty Fasig
Shelagh
Abe F. March
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Hypothetical Question Empty
PostSubject: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 10:48 am

Hypothetical Question 

If you were required to move to another country for a minimum period of five years, what country would you choose? 

Note:  Being happy where you are is not relevant to this question.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 10:56 am

Any English speaking country. I lived in New Zealand for six months and wouldn't mind going back.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 12:42 pm

I would like to go to the UK.  I could meet Shelagh and see all the places I have read about in my youth.  While I was there, I could visit Scotland, Germany, Switzerland, and Ireland.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 12:44 pm

I was going to say Texas but I have already been there.  Laughing 
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 1:01 pm

I would go to Austria.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 1:10 pm

The most fascinating place I have ever visited was Hong Kong.  That was in 1969, when HK was still leased to the UK.  I don't know how much of that culture still exists, though, and there was an enormous difference between the haves (mostly English) and have-nots(mostly Chinese).  Still, there was this essence of balance - East meeting and living with West, and finding the best of both.

I have, also, always been fascinated with Australia.  It has seemed to be, in many ways, similar to the American West of the 19th century - a more open, free, and closer to nature environment than is available in most of the US, including much of Texas.  It seems, from the outside, at least, to manage to combine the indigenous culture with the rawer culture of GB's penal population as well as its military and colonial cultures.

I also spent some time in Japan, and was intrigued by the gentility of the people there - so different from the WWII propaganda regarding the population.

Whatever, I would definitely head to the Far East.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 2:59 pm

I think I'll give South Korea a miss:

Hypothetical Question A-leaning-building-in-Sou-016

South Korean building leans 20 degrees. A seven-storey building has started to tilt alarmingly while still under construction in South Korea.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 3:01 pm

alj wrote:
The most fascinating place I have ever visited was Hong Kong.  That was in 1969, when HK was still leased to the UK.  I don't know how much of that culture still exists, though, and there was an enormous difference between the haves (mostly English) and have-nots(mostly Chinese).  Still, there was this essence of balance - East meeting and living with West, and finding the best of both.

I have, also, always been fascinated with Australia.  It has seemed to be, in many ways, similar to the American West of the 19th century - a more open, free, and closer to nature environment than is available in most of the US, including much of Texas.  It seems, from the outside, at least, to manage to combine the indigenous culture with the rawer culture of GB's penal population as well as its military and colonial cultures.

I also spent some time in Japan, and was intrigued by the gentility of the people there - so different from the WWII propaganda regarding the population.

scratch Mmmm, let me think. Who could you possibly bump into in Australia? Tough question that.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Betty Fasig wrote:
I would like to go to the UK.  I could meet Shelagh and see all the places I have read about in my youth.  While I was there, I could visit Scotland, Germany, Switzerland, and Ireland.
Love,
Betty

I would take on a royal tour, Betty. My mum visited Buckingham Palace last summer. She was knocked out.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Shelagh wrote:
alj wrote:

scratch Mmmm, let me think. Who could you possibly bump into in Australia? Tough question that.
Fascination with the country was already there, and one of the reasons I like the man - who is really from New Zealand, BTW. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Betty Fasig wrote:
Love,
Betty

I would take on a royal tour, Betty. My mum visited Buckingham Palace last summer. She was knocked out.
Was in London and adjacent areas in 75  Only saw the changing of the guard at BP, but was completely knocked out by Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 5:13 pm

My mother went on a coach trip with her sister, and a neighbour and her daughter. They visited Windsor Castle, stayed in a hotel overnight and visited Buckingham Palace the next day. She was impressed with the castle but completely blown away by the palace. The banqueting hall was laid out exactly as it was for the Queen's wedding in 1947, and she saw the wedding dress. She said that the attention to detail was amazing  ... and overwhelming.

Hypothetical Question 13

Take a tour of the virtual rooms:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalResidences/BuckinghamPalace/VirtualRooms/Overview.aspx

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue May 13, 2014 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 5:17 pm

If I were REQUIRED to live somewhere else it would probably mean I was going to prison, so I doubt I would have a lot to say about where.

Okay if I were to choose to live somewhere else but the U. S. it would probably be New Zealand.  Did a training mission there once.  Loved the country and the people.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 5:36 pm

I have not really been anywhere other than a few of the US states and a little of Canada and a little of Mexico.
I know it is not another country, but I would love to see all the National Parks in the US. 

If I really had to live somewhere else, I would take Puerto Rico.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyTue May 13, 2014 5:51 pm

I almost moved to Panama.  I would be happy to live there five years.  An alternative would be certain parts of Mexico.  I need warm weather unless I have a companion whose company is so important that I could tolerate cold.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyWed May 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Interesting responses.  It appears that most opt for an English speaking country.  I thought that with five years there may be some who would consider it an opportunity to learn another language, and with five years, one could become fairly proficient.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyThu May 15, 2014 6:22 am

I spent two vacations in Panama and found the people energetic and busy with living life.  The country is beautiful with climate choices (though hot and humid).  Same for the beaches.  It is also convenient to get elsewhere by plane and potentially possible with great difficulty to get somewhere by land...

Mexico depends on where in Mexico.  It is still a little frightening for foreigners with its cartels and drug trade that feeds the U.S. hunger for drugs.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyThu May 15, 2014 11:14 am

I have lived in: The United states, Canada, and Japan. Have been to almost all the South Pacific islands, Mexico, and Europe.  My needs are: English, all types of food, understand  the customs, and laws. Here in the U.S. I can have friends from around the world. Many think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I find it best to just visit other countries for a week, or two. Coming back to the grass in my country always feels good. If I had to move, it would be Germany. I have, American, and Italian passports, so I could live in the EU...
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyThu May 15, 2014 1:43 pm

I lived very comfortably in Germany on two occasions and would rapidly become fluent in the language again.  I just prefer a warmer climate.  I especially appreciated public transportation , trains in particular.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyThu May 15, 2014 10:29 pm

My preference for living in Austria is twofold.  My Firestone family roots began in the province of Voralberg, Austria.  Secondly, I love the alpine region for its beauty and the simple folk living there.   I found the people to be hospitable and honest – a rare quality these days.  Someone once told me that they would like to live in Austria because it is 20 years behind everyone else and that if there was a nuclear disaster; one could live 20 years longer.  Amusing, however the people living in the country are simple people and many continue with the old ways.  They are hard working people living off the land and lending a helping hand to their neighbors.  Contracts between these people are rare.  A handshake is still used by many to bind an agreement.  They speak their own brand of German and it can be difficult to understand.  That doesn’t deter communication; in fact I think trying to understand/communicate in a foreign language has the benefit of bringing the parties closer together.  When there is understanding, it is a time to celebrate.   I find it exciting to experience new things and meet new people.  There are some things we all have in common:  To be loved and to have food, shelter and clothing.  Food, shelter and clothing can be bought.  Love is not in that category.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyFri May 16, 2014 8:14 am

I have an acquaintance who lives in Austria but has a condo here in the winter.  We walk the beach together.  We have great fun and laugh at my attempts to speak German.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyFri May 16, 2014 8:26 am

I lived four years in Germany, five years in S. Korea, three years on a sailboat in the Caribbean with several months in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Georgetown, Bahamas.

In the U.S. I lived in Washington, California, Idaho, Michigan, Washington, D.C. and Florida.

I traveled to Mexico, Venezuela and Panama for South America.  I traveled to all Western European countries except Spain and Portugal and nothern Europe Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

I traveled to England, Ireland and Scotland.

I traveled to Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Dubai (1970's), Oman, and Turkey.

I traveled to Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, China, and the Phillapines

I traveled to every island between Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Venezuela - Eastern and Western Caribbean.

Most traveling was for extensive periods of time with a week at least in a country but often several weeks.

When I was traveling, I spoke a bit of French, Italian, and Spanish.  Living in Germany I spoke German and living in Korea, I spoke Korean.

I worked for the U.S. military under contract in S. Korea so had base privileges but lived "on the economy" for all practical purposes and was also employed by the Korean office of a Big Ten (at that time) CPA firm as an editor.  One year in Germany was with the military.  The rest were as an ex-patriot (U.S. citizen working abroad).

I enjoyed wherever I put my head down to sleep.  The world is an exotic and wonderful place with open eyes and heart.  As I have aged, however, I seek more comforts and a few less surprises.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyFri May 23, 2014 10:44 am

Switzerland or New Zealand. Switzerland is beautiful and New Zealand has no snakes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyFri May 23, 2014 10:51 am

alice wrote:
Switzerland or New Zealand. Switzerland is beautiful and New Zealand has no snakes.
Thought that was Ireland.  Even so, Abe should be happy there, either place, actually, only he would be stuck with having to speak English.

Good people come from New Zealand - and Ireland.

Missed you, Alice.  How's the family?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question EmptyFri May 23, 2014 5:50 pm

alj wrote:
alice wrote:
Thought that was Ireland.  Even so, Abe should be happy there, either place, actually, only he would be stuck with having to speak English.

Good people come from New Zealand - and Ireland.

Missed you, Alice.  How's the family?
Thank you, Ann.  They are a busy bunch.  The house is sold.  When school is out, we can head home with them.  
I fell on the basement stairs and offended my touchy back.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical Question   Hypothetical Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Hypothetical Question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next