Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

I have a thing for heroes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

I have a thing for heroes Empty
PostSubject: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:29 am

Letter from Russell to the SMH [Sydney Morning Herald]
Posted on June 22, 2013 by Tamara & MM at TRC

Quote :
Can’t wait for my mate Merro to unleash hell on Maroons

Russell Crowe – June 21, 2013

The biggest smile I ever saw on Nathan Merritt’s face was when I arranged for him to host Snoop Dogg at an impromptu drop-in to the block in Redfern.

When Snoop recognised him and said something like, ”Don’t they call you The Freak cos you been scoring all them touchdowns,” his smile was so big and bright he could have powered a small town.

I have a thing for heroes Merritt
In a way, that’s what Nathan has done for most of his career: used his energy to keep a light of hope glowing for South Sydney fans. Even in the takeover year in 2006, when Souths came motherless last, Nathan miraculously topped the NRL try-scorers’ list – a feat he repeated in 2011.

However, just a few days ago the brightness of that smile for Snoop Dogg dimmed compared to the one he sported when he arrived at the Blues camp, a freshly selected State of Origin rookie at the age of 30.There is simply not a more deserving servant to the game to receive that honour than Nathan Merritt, who is closing in fast on both Bernie Wearing’s try-scoring record and Bob McCarthy’s record for most games for South Sydney.

He will stand tall and represent his state the way he has always represented his club, with everything he has.

Nathan represents the bridge from the struggling Souths of yesteryear to the competitive and hard-nosed club we are now. He was there when the oldest club in the game trained at the broken down Erskineville Oval; he was there when we moved into our new facilities at Redfern.

He was among the first to put up his hand when Souths started to reconnect with the community in 2007. Tirelessly visiting schools throughout our district and spreading the word on nutrition and the importance of schooling. A long time ago he took on the mantle of role model and week in, week out he proves he is worthy of that title.

I have long said that if NSW want to break the Queensland death hold on State of Origin, karma dictates they need at least one Souths player. (I say that sort of stuff about everything. One red eye, one green eye, it’s how I view the world!).

Here is that opportunity, and it’s only right that Nathan Merritt gets the chance to be that player.

I can see in the future that the likes of Adam Reynolds, John Sutton, Dylan Walker and others may flood the NSW ranks, but for now, thanks possibly to the Dalai Lama, Nathan Merritt has turned that light of hope on for South Sydney members and fans and the long-suffering fans of the NSW Blues.

Here’s hoping a little bit of Merro magic can break the drought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:47 am

He tattooed his own name on his arm?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 10:38 am

I've noticed that many of theAussie footy players have large tattoos, especially those of Aboriginal descent.

Cool new avatar, BTW
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Talking of heroes:

Andy Farrell OBE

I have a thing for heroes SpeakOutAndyFarrell
Andy Farrell is a genuine sporting great who had an extraordinary playing career. Starting out in Rugby League, Andy's natural talent and ability was there for all to see from the early days. He was the youngest player to make a senior first-team debut at 16; the youngest winner of the Challenge Cup aged 17 years 11 months, was the youngest full international at 18 and became the youngest Player of the Year in 1994. All absolutely remarkable. 

Born in Wigan, Andy began playing with local club Orrell St James before debuting for Wigan in 1991. A natural born leader, Andy went on to captain Wigan, making 370 appearances for them and scoring an amazing 2,693 points. 

He won 5 Championships and 4 Challenge Cups with Wigan, picking up the 1998 Super League and 2002 Challenge Cup as captain. In 2001, Andy set the club's record for most points in a season with 429. In 2004 he won the Golden Boot as the best player in the world, the Man of Steel Award twice, and the Players Player Award. 

Just after being appointed club captain, Andy was given the honour of the Great Britain captaincy in 1996, leading the side on their tour to New Zealand, Papua Guinea and Fiji. He made 34 appearances for Great Britain and also represented England in two World Cups. An amazingly tough and physical player, Andy had a great touch, magnificent vision and an impressive boot. He had the rare talent of being able to bring out the best in the players around him. 

After his stellar achievements, in 2005 Andy announced his retirement from League to take on the challenge of Rugby Union with London club Saracens. Sadly injuries and a car accident impeded start in the new code, and it wasn't until 2006 that he made a try scoring debut for the Men in Black. It wasn't long before the England coaches selected him to bring his muscularity, experience and rugby brain into the team. Andy played in the 2007 6 Nations championship as well as the '07 world cup, where England lost in the final. He made eight Test appearances in all. 

He is currently Head Coach at Saracens where he is highly respected and was a key part of their winning the 2010/2011 Premiership in an exciting Twickenham spectacle. His son Owen starred in this game, and although only 19 showed maturity and skill far beyond his age. Andy Farrell is a rare natural born leader, and a British sportsperson who is justifiably called 'Great'. 
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
HaroldLee
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
HaroldLee

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 4:07 pm

LC wrote:

That way he can't forget it.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Sounds like he started young and kept going strong..  It looks like he has a great coaching career ahead, too.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 4:10 pm

HaroldLee wrote:
LC wrote:

That way he can't forget it.
FRom what I've seen of "Merro," he doesn't forget much.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 4:35 pm

alj wrote:
Sounds like he started young and kept going strong..  It looks like he has a great coaching career ahead, too.
Yes, and a real Man of Steel -- twice!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have a thing for heroes   I have a thing for heroes Empty

Back to top Go down

I have a thing for heroes
Page 1 of 1