Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Ever eat a purple potato?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Ever eat a purple potato? Empty
PostSubject: Ever eat a purple potato?   Ever eat a purple potato? EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:15 pm

They are rare here in SA. For a while, when I first moved here they were relatively common, but for the last couple of years - not so much. So when my nearby supermarket had them at a relatively reasonable price, I bought a bunch (No, not literally a "bunch." I bought a lot of them.) Here is what they look like (the one on the far left has been split in half). They are usually small, like baby red potatoes, and have a similar texture.
Ever eat a purple potato? Purplepots

The flavor is mildly delicious, and studies show that these potatoes are actually good for you:

Quote :
Although less popular than their white counterparts, purple potatoes — increasingly available at supermarkets, specialty food stores and farmers' markets — boast higher levels of polyphenol antioxidants that protect body cells against free radical damage that can increase disease risk. To preserve these powerful plant chemicals, subjects in Vinson’s study were asked to microwave their potatoes instead of using other cooking methods.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44345789/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/potatoes-may-help-lower-blood-pressure-purple-ones/#.UHdd1G_A9IE

They also have a lower glycemic index than other potatoes.

Here is the recipe I made up to go with tonights family dinner:
Purple Potato Hash-Browns
12 small purple potatoes, diced small
1/4 diced green bell pepper
1/4 diced red bell pepper
2 T chopped red onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 drizzle of olive oil around a medium sized skillet
salt and pepper or Nature's Seasons

Nuke the diced potatoes for one minute. Meanwhile, saute the other veggies. Add the potatoes and stir over medium heat until the veggies caramelize and the potatoes begin to brown.
More about the dinner on my Joy Thread.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Ever eat a purple potato?   Ever eat a purple potato? EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Dear Ann,

My experience with purple vegetable, be they potato, green bean, greens, or anything else, once cooked they loose the purple color and are mostly green. I have canned, fried, sauted, boiled and nuked purple vegetables. It is my humble opinion that they are a vege gimmick put forth for people who want more anti-oxidents and other health benefits than the normal vegetablel. I find that is not true. It is just a way for someone to sell you something at a higher price that takes not one whit more effort to grow and is not (and maybe less) healthy than the regular green bean, etc. That is why they are not on every vegetable market shelf and mostly in the high end and snobby vegetable markets. Vegetables are vegetable and no matter what color their skin is, they are like people, all mostly the same once they are boiled or nuked.

Shocked Boiling and or nuking does equalize most people or vegetables.

That is just my opinion.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Ever eat a purple potato?   Ever eat a purple potato? EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 pm

I tend to agree, Betty, but these potatoes retain their deep purple color. If there had been any leftovers, I would show you. Everything I have read says they are the real deal. I will look more deeply into the whole thing, though. You are the experienced grower.

Annie
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ever eat a purple potato?   Ever eat a purple potato? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ever eat a purple potato?
Page 1 of 1