Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Being remembered

Go down 
+5
Brenda Hill
Pam
zadaconnaway
Jim Woods
Abe F. March
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 6:31 am

Sometimes we do something good and are remembered but we never know about it. Here’s what happened:

When I returned from Beirut financially broke, I tried unsuccessfully to get a job. I was deemed over-qualified. Finally in desperation, I went to the car dealer where I had formerly purchased several Mercedes-Benz cars, asking for a job. The owner thought I was joking but I was serious. He said that with my experience I wouldn’t stay. I made a deal with him. I requested a demo car to drive and a monthly advance of $1,000. If for any reason I left and had not earned what was advanced to me, I would repay him. We shook hands on it and I got the job.

In my second month, I was the top salesman and he asked me to provide training to the other salesman and that included the sales manager. On the subject of closing the sale, I made the statement, “When you ask for the order, Shut up! (And I yelled the words, Shut up) The first person that talks, loses.”

Today, after all those years, I got a signature on my website from the former Mercedes Sales Manager. I copied his remark that follows:

“Mark Plummer:
Hi,Abe, Remember me from Diehl Motors way back in the early 70,s? Just came across your site and was surprised to see you. How you been? Still look good. Hope things are O.K.. Still remember your ( lay it out, sit back and shut up. Look them in the eye and first person to talk looses). Sold me a ton of cars over the past 35 years. Thanks again, Mark.”

Unfortunately, he did not leave an address where I can reach him. But he did make my day.
Back to top Go down
Jim Woods
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Jim Woods

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 6:56 am

Good remembrance and story, Abe. Now could you write the book on how to deal with the dealers?

Jim Woods
www.ultrasw.com/jwoods
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 10:31 am

Jim,
to deal with the dealer is similar. Staying quite and allowing the other person to talk/commit themselves works. Being silent places you in control.
That lesson was demonstrated in Saudi Arabia where lots of western salesmen were there to sell their products and cash in on some of their wealth. The Saudi would remain silent. The salesman would become nervous and reduce his price. The Saudi still remained quite. And the salesman not wanting to return home without a sale, would reduce his price even more. The Saudi got a great deal. Actually, the Saudi wanted the product and would have paid the original asking price, but the salesman didn't understand the mentality and didn't have the patience required to deal in that part of the world.

Silence and patience are great weapons.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 2:08 pm

That's part of the reason silence is golden! It is quite a tribute to you that he not only remebered you, but also looked you up. Could you google him? That just might make his day!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Great post Abe, and how great to be remembered!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 1:16 am

Good for you, Abe. And I love the idea of writing a how-to about buying cars. As a single woman, I could use it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 5:34 am

Good story, Abe. Shows your effort was appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 7:24 pm

Abe, that was a great story. It just goes to show that you never know when you leave an impression with someone. Good For you.

Vickie
Back to top Go down
http://www.torylynn.webs.com/torylynn
ghostposts
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
ghostposts

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 4:45 pm

I's cool that he remembered you. I hope he gets in touch again and leaves an addy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dragonthing.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks to alll of you. I tried to find him but no luck so far. There are a number of people with that name but none appear to be him.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Again, late with a comment.

Abe, I love the way you told that story. I am so glad you had the opportunity to be so blessed with that remembrance. It not only made your day. You, in turn, made everyone else's by posting it.

Thank you for sharing it with us!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Being remembered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Being remembered   Being remembered Empty

Back to top Go down

Being remembered
Page 1 of 1