Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Times Have Changed!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Times Have Changed! Empty
PostSubject: Times Have Changed!   Times Have Changed! EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Lucille Ball was born in 1911. In 1951 she was pregnant. The word pregnant was not allowed on TV. Expecting was the prerferred
terminology. Kind of prudish!

Last edited by alice on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Times Have Changed!   Times Have Changed! EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Dear Alice,
I remember that back in those early days TV women did not have sex In fact, it was a mystery how the little one got into the oven in the first place. Children were not supposed to know or even think about the possibility. If!!!! God forbid!!! a girl who was not supposed to know where children came from, was not properly informed about her periodic bodily function, suddenly found that she had one growing (God knows how it could happen), she was shipped off (if the family had any money or pride) to an Unwed Mother's Home to accept her disgrace and exclusion from Christian society forever more. AHHHHHH! To add to that, she had to give her child up to strangers. HAD to, mind you. Still, she could never enter the town of her disgrace again.

So, we must have progressed a small tad as humanity.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Times Have Changed!   Times Have Changed! EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 am

Betty,
My grandmother that I never met, died as a result of an unwed pregnacy. That's part of the story I'm writing. Family disgrace was a big thing. We read about the Turks and Arabs that engage in family honor killings. The manner (art) of killing differs, however a similar mentality existed in our own country. Good thing we progressed. With some cultures, it will take more time.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Times Have Changed!   Times Have Changed! EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 am

It is a very good thing we have progressed.
Thank God for unwed mothers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Times Have Changed!   Times Have Changed! EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 11:18 am

Hear, hear to all of your comments!

The honor killings that Abe alludes to are arguably less cruel than the degradation of spirit, the lifetime of shame, and the benign condescension from otherwise good people towards unwed mothers and, even more cruelly, their children. I have seen it directed at people I loved and love in my own lifetime by people completely oblivious to the misogeny underlying their righteous judgment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Times Have Changed!   Times Have Changed! Empty

Back to top Go down

Times Have Changed!
Page 1 of 1