Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Are you taking advantage of your network?

Go down 
+7
Malcolm
thehairymob
JoElle
Sue
Karina Kantas
Shelagh
Pam
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Are you taking advantage of your network? Empty
PostSubject: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 1:19 pm

I am a big networker, finding that the more folks that I touch base with the more I learn, and earn. bounce

As weird as it can be, I have had people hire me for coaching from Facebook as a result of my status line on two different occasions, and people that have visited my blog have also purchased my novel. And the feedback's been really good, so I'm not worrying about a second edition anymore. I'm just getting started on LinkedIn, which is a more business oriented networking site.

I think that networking will be an good way for us to build some significant energy and promote the anthology when it is ready, and if you aren't writing for the anthology the contacts are still valuable.

A few of the members here are already linked on Facebook and LinkedIn, but there are
probably more of you who may wish to take advantage of it. If you'd
like to connect, here are my details so that you can find me.

Facebook

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

LinkedIn

I'm on MySpace too but I will probably ditch it. So much spam and so little time, you know?

Are you taking advantage of your network? 986243
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi Pam,

I've just sent out a message to 521 members of the network inviting them to join the Published Authors group on LinkedIn.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 2:52 pm

w00t! bounce Let's go folks!
Back to top Go down
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Careful you don't get done for spamming, Shelagh
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 6:31 pm

I just got mine, Shelagh. I am checking it out now.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:27 am

Karina wrote:
Careful you don't get done for spamming, Shelagh
Oh, I do receive complaints. People join the network but don't want to be informed of news or updates. They join the network for publicity, not to interact with other members. They join, add information about themselves and their books and then disappear. They are too much into themselves to want to check out the settings and set the email response boxes to receive no mail from the network but they do have time to write and ask me to remove them from the mailing list. I can't do this. They joined and they are are responsible for their own membership. Try explaining that to folks who think the world revolves around them.

Last edited by Shelagh on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 am

Networking ... mmmm

I have a MySpace page:

I tried networking there but wasn't very good at it. Ended up getting spammed all the time.
I got rid of it for awhile. But my daughter in law posts family stuff there and all my sisters and half my nieces have pages there ... so I rebuilt it. Though it is set up as an author page, I mostly use it to stay in touch with friends and family.

I'm listed here:

Red Room-

Young Adult Books Central- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In addition to Published Authors I belong to two other writer forums. I don't really use the forums much for networking or selling. To me the forums are more for sharing information and making friends with other writers.

My brain isn't much of a business brain ... perhaps that is why I didn't enjoy being in management. scratch
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:11 am

Sorry for asking but what is this Networking thingy? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 am

I'm glad you set up a Published Authors group on LinkedIn, Shelagh.

So, Pam, you like Facebook better than MySpace? So far, my results on MySpace are a lot better. You can get rid of some of that MySpace spam by forcing people to use CAPTCHA; also you can limit friend requests to those who know your e-mail address.

Facebook has been an annoyance lately because there are so many darn games out there. Unfortunately, there showing up on MySpace, too.

In the middle of the day, I really love being pestered by somebody who sends me a message saying, "Hi, I just bought you, Click on this icon to see how much you're worth." Sigh.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:35 am

So, Malcolm, does that mean I can't send you anymore Karma? JK I try not to send you things because I figured you weren't into it. I am not really. I just feel like I hurt feelings if I don't respond. Guess that is something I need to work on, huh? I do like facebook better if I didn't have all the 'stuff' to wade through.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:51 am

thehairymob wrote:
Sorry for asking but what is this Networking thingy? scratch
Social and business networks that help you to meet people with similar interests: myspace, facebook, bebo, linkedIn, plaxo, shoutlife, yahoo ...

I'm a member of 23 ning networks, all the above, gather, zimbio, squidoo, youtube, youwriteon, axis avenue, jacketflap, editred ... and the list goes on.

In my spare time I run the Published Authors Network and I'm adminstrator of the Published Authors Forum. Sleep? What's that? Oh, that's when I edit sublissions for an anthology. Life's never dull.

Forgot to mention, I'm group leader for Children's Fiction on LibraryThing and Internet Book Database. I also run Aspiring Writers and Authors groups on facebook, shoutlife and nothing binding.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 10:17 am

I too am glad of the LinkedIn group Shelagh. I quite like that site so far.

Malcolm THANK YOU for the tip about MySpace. I am going to implement that and see how it works.

The facebook apps are annoying as heck, and actually Sue I feel bad "ignorning" people too, but I am much more aware of my time these days that I am going to keep it up, so except for a few that I've had since I got on there, no more add ons. That, and my out of town kid is on facebook and so I can keep an eye on what she's up to. In case you're wondering...she got a tatoo the other day. It's the Robertson motto between her shoulder blades. Really nice lettering, pretty even, nice tribute to the family, but on my daughter

Shocked
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 11:02 am

I've thought of switching to Facebook, but my relatives all use MySpace.

Those of you who have Facebook, does it really help much with your networking, sales, and promoting?

Is it worth having?

If it is worth it I could just go ahead and have both.

(Also, I'd love to add those of you who have MySpace on as friends)
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 11:14 am

I just joined the LinkedIn. Pam has already connected. Thanks. I'm still trying to figure it all out but with some trial and error I may even get exposed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi Abe,

This is me if you would like to connect:

Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 3:21 pm

LOL Abe...exposure is great, just be sure not to lose your shirt.

JoElle I get more results with Facebook, however, have just adjusted my settings on MySpace thanks to Malcolm's recommendations, so we'll wait and see. I think the answer is to have a presence in several places and have the web working for you. But that leads me back to the time thing again...as in finding enough time.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 5:16 pm

I don't see much going on with LinkedIn. It looks like you have to be wired way in to even see other people.

It looks like biz to biz stuff. Anybody had any luck flogging books there?
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Could we have the link, Abe?
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:53 pm

Well, now I have confused myself, again. I think it is because I am sleep deprived.

Is the LinkedIn site strictly for writers and publishers, or is it also for consultants? I am not, I don't think, in the genre of Professional Training and Coaching. I can't find an area that I am in. My main work is intuitive consulting and counseling. I can't find anything there for that. So should I just put down my publishing company and put writing and editing? Can anyone help me with this?

I could really use some step by step to get my creditials on this site.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 5:21 am

I'd be glad to help you, Sue, if I knew anything about it, but I don't. I don't have time for too much of this stuff. I do enjoy it here, though.
Just reading Shelagh's list made me want to lie down for a nap. How does she do it?
As for Abe, I'm not sure that I really want to see him exposed.
No one has answered Lin's question. Do any of these places increase book sales?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 6:20 am

The quick answer is no. This reply I made on best children's books explains how search engines help with promotion:

The most used terms for book searches are: cheap books, free books, discount books, classic books, how-to books ...

The point of going on all these sites is that the more key words you can spread that might pull up your page, the greater your chance of appearing on search engines.

The thing is, you never know which site is going to attract the most traffic. I have two blogs that were set up at approximately the same time. My blogger blog gets a steady number of very few visitors. My yahoo! blog has been visited over 33,800 times!

I cannot account for this but it taught me to use as many sites as possible because you never know which will pay off the most.

I didn't join all the sites in a matter of days, it took years. If I succeed in any small measure it won't be because of a single stroke of luck. Any liuck that comes my way will be on the back of a great deal of hard work!

Last edited by Shelagh on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 7:13 am

Sue,
certainly we can get linked, if that is the right expression. As for the right classification, none seemed to fit me either, so I used one at random to get on board, and then did an edit and changed the classification.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 8:56 am

The good news (for me) Sue, is that if people send me weird stuff on facebook, I ignore it (without intention) because I seldom go there.

The good news (for you) is that my unintentional caddish behaviour isn't ever personal.

When I do notice that stuff, I just shade the entire inbox and it all goes away.

Malcolm

P.S. Pam, when I added CAPTCHA to incoming comments from people who aren't on my friends list, it cut down a lot of the SPAM because CAPCHA is a lot of trouble. I also get rid of SPAM by approving comments and blog comments before they appear.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Malcolm wrote:
I'm glad you set up a Published Authors group on LinkedIn, Shelagh.
Two days ago the group had two members; it now has over forty members! The Power of Persuasion! LOL!
Back to top Go down
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Hi Abe,

This is me if you would like to connect:

Thanks Queenie I'm linked in
Are you taking advantage of your network? 572534 Are you taking advantage of your network? 986243
Back to top Go down
http://fly.to/rainbow689
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you taking advantage of your network?   Are you taking advantage of your network? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you taking advantage of your network?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next