Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

If you were to relive history what year ?

Go down 
+5
JoElle
alj
dkchristi
alice
joefrank
9 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

If you were to relive history what year ? Empty
PostSubject: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 3:36 pm

9/21/2011

If you were to relive history, what year ?

Me, 1770's I love the colonial era..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 4:55 pm

1970's I liked those years. I had both kids then. My folks were alive too.

I had a dishwasher, life was good. We built a brand new house

with a view of Mt Rainier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Now is the best time.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 5:10 pm

The 70's were the best. I had hopes and dreams and the wealth that made them possible. I lived in Europe and Asia and traveled. I had household help for cooking and cleaning and was able to work at two jobs and still maintain a full schedule of social and family activities. Every day was a challenge; I felt alive. I knew what it was like to feel bone chilling fear and ecstasy beyond imagination. I had love and friendship. Most important were the hopes and dreams and belief in a future.

Now is not the best. The news is full of financial doom and gloom. The politicians are useless and high paid for their uselessness. People are fearful and holding back.

Anyone familiar with the warm fuzzy story will understand that warm fuzzies are hoarded today and cold pricklies are readily available.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Thaank you, DK. Joe will be happy to see some answers when he gets back here.

The 70's were great

Today they know more about medicine. I like that aspect of life. I will have a battery repalcement surgery in Movember-unheard of in the 70's.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:08 pm

If you're talking about our current lifetimes, I would have to go with the 80's. The 70' were the pits as my marriage fell apart and I had to deal with divorce and going back to school (well, that part was fun, actually), and helping the kids adjust. But I finished school in 79 and we moved to Houston in 80, and I started a new career in a new place, making lots of new friends. By the end of the decade I felt I had established myself at work, and I was getting recognition for what I was doing, especially with AP classes, was on the district's curriculum writing committee, etc. Th kids all finished school and were doing well in college. Lynn and Chris had met and were planning to get married and go to grad school together. I was still in my 40's, only few years older than the kids are now.

I thought from Joe's question, though, he was asking about a historical period. I love reading history and historical novels but I'm not sure if I would have liked living in those times. Europe during the Renaissance, maybe, to be able to witness times of great positive change and cultural advancement.

OK, the weirdest thing just happened. As I was typing, this box just somehow filled up with a long entry I made earlier today at the Audie Murphy website. Now I'm too spooked to keep going.

I was about done, anyway.

Time for bed, I think.

I wonder if this will be here in the morning. Suspect

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:31 pm

I see it. I am glad.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 8:35 pm

I wouldn't want to live in any time before indoor plumbing.

Memories work well enough for me.

I just want to keep moving forward.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 pm

10/4/2011

I would also say the 1950's a great era, when people were
polite, children respected their elders and living was cheaper
than now and they made great films..Music

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:50 pm

My HS years - in the 50's. Hopes for the future and romance filled my mind. I felt that the world was waiting for me to make my move. And what Joe said. There was respect for authority, people were courteous and things were much simpler. You could even repair your own car.

Next good phase, the 70's. They were years of prosperity and adventure.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:08 am

JoElle wrote:
I wouldn't want to live in any time before indoor plumbing.

Memories work well enough for me.

I just want to keep moving forward.

If you were to relive history what year ? 950944
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 6:14 am

Right now my computer is stuck on a news channel in the background...I keep getting the doom and gloom in the background.

I would not want to go back in history unless I was extremely wealthy in that time and had the retinue of servants to make up for the hardships. In any era, wealth made life more comfortable.

Technology made the rise of the middle class more comfortable - the chores that the wealthy had servants to perform became easier for the ordinary person - the cooking, cleaning, sewing and maintenance of the home.

Regardless of the era, the challenges for women have always been greater. Their choices have always been limited because the power and wealth is not in their hands. Yes, there are a few women who control - but that is not the rule.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 pm

one BCE
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:40 pm

I wouldn't want to be more than a short-term visitor to any past time period, no matter how wealthy I was. Modern medicine and opportunities have been too important to me. I'd like to see what 200 years in the future will look like.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:58 pm

LC wrote:
I wouldn't want to be more than a short-term visitor to any past time period, no matter how wealthy I was. Modern medicine and opportunities have been too important to me. I'd like to see what 200 years in the future will look like.

They way things are going? Watts Riot, world wide. If there is any one left. I don't think the present system will last anywere near 200 20 years.

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Doomsday movies and books abound. It is doomsday today for the starving people in many African nations. It was doomsday in Haiti and Japan with their earthquakes. It was doomsday in many iraqi cities. It is doomsday in many wartorn countries of the world. Yet, pieces move forward: China as an example. Japan rose from the ashes. The Berlin wall came down. S. Korea rose from the ashes. Even Saigon had a rebirth.

Cycles in nature repeat in the human world. We are all part of the circle of life (how I loved that Lion King movie!). We are one species of animal - it is possible for us to become extinct as others have done so. It takes a long time, though.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 pm

I think I'm in a re-cycle mode.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 6:44 am

The new sciences tell us that, for an orderly system to undergo change, there must be a period of chaos, where the old order breaks down, before a new order can form.

It seems to me that we are in one of those chaotic systems right now, and what new system might emerge is anybody's guess. Personally, I side with those who say that we each help to create the reality of the next step, the new pattern which will replace the old, and so our focus, when we are in chaos, should be on imagining the most positive outcome conceivable.

I once suggested to my son the scientist that my favorite poet had an innate understanding of quantum physics. He expressed his doubt, until I read this passage to him:

Quote :
....There is, it seems to us, only a limited value
In the knowledge derived from experience.
The kniowledge imposes a pattern, and falsifies,
For the pattern is new in every moment
And every moment is a new and shocking
valuation of all we have been
. We are only undeceived
Of that which, deceiving, could no longer harm.
T. S. Eliot, "East Coker," The Four Quartets

It was one if the few times he agreed with me - and it was a reluctant agreement. I am not a scientist.

What I like about that passage from Eliot is the idea that the pattern is always changing, but we do not perceive the change until it reaches a point where we can no longer ignore it. What we had perceived to be real, we dimly recognize, no longer exists, so we become lost and frightened, and act out of that fear, until we finally accept our situation, and begin to see with new eyes, that the pattern, or paradigm, has changed. With acceptance that the world of our past no longer serves, we can begin to build a new future.

"Eat Coker" concludes:

Quote :
We must be still and still moving
Into another intensity
For a further union, a deeper communion
Through the dark, cold, and empty desolation,
The wave cry, the wind cry, the vast waters
Of the petrol and the porpoise. In my end is my beginning.

And from the first of those Four Quartets, "Burnt Norton":

Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 7:06 am

Synchronicity? This just popped up on my widget:

Quote :
We're in a freefall into future. We don't know where we're going. Things are changing so fast, and always when you're going through a long tunnel, anxiety comes along. And all you have to do to transform your hell into a paradise is to turn your fall into a voluntary act. It's a very interesting shift of perspective and that's all it is... joyful participation in the sorrows and everything changes. Sukhavati: Place of Peace, Joseph Campbell

Ann
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you were to relive history what year ?   If you were to relive history what year ? Empty

Back to top Go down

If you were to relive history what year ?
Page 1 of 1