Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste Empty
PostSubject: Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste   Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Nuclear energy has tremendous potential and should be exploited. A tiny amount of nuclear fuel can produce an incredibly large amount of electricity. Nuclear power, as we know, produces highly radioactive byproducts that must be disposed of. One option that should be pursued is the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel. Reprocessing of spent fuel reduces the amount of radioactive waste and by reusing the fuel, we can extract several times more energy from it. Even with reprocessing, there still is some radioactive waste to dispose of, but I think there is a simple solution to high level nuclear waste. It's a solution that seems so obvious that I'm supprised that no one has thought of it. The solution is to take the high level radioactive waste and dilute it by mixing it with large amounts of non-radioactive material, such as lead or glass. The process of diluting the waste would need to be done robotically to prevent people from being exposed to the radioactivity, but if the waste could be diluted down to the the levels of radioactivity found natuarally in uranium ore, the diluted waste could be safely disposed of, without the need for high-security underground storage facilities like the one being built in Nevada. Diluting the waste would also make it safer to transport, as diluting would reduce the overall radioactivity of the material being transported. Nuclear energy has the potential to be part of the solution to the energy crisis. Nuclear energy can provide unimaginible amounts of electrical power from relatively small amounts of fuel and it produces no greenhouse gases or air pollutants such as sulfur dioxide (which can produce acid rain). With the reprocessing of used nuclear fuel and the dilution to high level radioactive waste, nuclear energy may have an even brighter future.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste   Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 6:21 am

As you mention Gordon, it has the potential to be part of the solution, but I think there is a lot of work to be done before considering the nuclear industry and recycling of nuclear waste as viable. I don't think it's the only answer either. Radioactive waste in any form is still radioactive. I have seen the dump sites for this stuff, and it freaks me out. Personally I would prefer to see us investigate and utilize energy forms like wind and solar power. There's plenty of it, it's free and it's clean...and right now it's drying my laundry. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste   Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 11:09 am

There is something disturbing about nuclear power plants, and disposal of waste is a major problem, yet France uses it almost exclusively and has never had anything bad happen. I have no idea how they dispose of the waste in a relatively small country. Gordon's idea seems like a good one.
cherry cherry cherry
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste   Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 10:14 am

I'm not a fan of nuclear power. I'm working on a major project to clean up the Hanford nuclear site in Washington and it is very sad to learn and see the leaks of radioactive waste that have occurred over the years. Most people don't even know that leaks are still occurring, going right into the Columbia River. The area will never be opened to the public again (ever), and most of the radioactive substances will just be burried. Not a real solution. Wind, solar, and other means are much cleaner forms of energy without the possible long-term effects.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste   Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting Rid of Nuclear Waste
Page 1 of 1