Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The waste of food

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The waste of food Empty
PostSubject: The waste of food   The waste of food EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 8:22 am

On FB there is a video and story about a guy who rode his bike across America.  All his food came from Food-store dumpsters.  He showed bags of edible food simply thrown away.
It reminded me of my part-time job at a store here in Germany.  My family doctor owned the building that he leased and it was used as a grocery store.  Part of the contract meant he was responsible for maintenance and that included the parking lot.  Each Saturday morning I went to the store to pick up paper and do general cleaning.  I soon discovered that early Saturday mornings the store would place all unsold produce outside the back door.  That included day-old bread.  I loaded the trunk of my car with radishes, carrots, assorted fruit, bread, etc.  Before long on Saturday mornings a number of people from the area showed-up to gather food being thrown out.  When the management saw this, it was prohibited.  They contacted a local Convent and from that time forward the Nuns would come to pick up the food.  I helped them load their cars and they told me that I could take whatever I wanted.  The food they took was taken to the Convent where they fed homeless people.  There set up a large buffet and anyone was welcome.  The store moved out and the building was sold and my part-time job ended along with the free food.
I think that in most areas stores will not give the food away.  Either there is some ordinance against it or it is against the capitalist principle not to get money for it and they would rather throw it out.
Considering the many homeless people in our country I like to think that someone or organization would take the initiative and collect the food. When we realize that there are so many people hungry and that good food is being thrown away, some action could be initiated to provide for the poor and stop the waste.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

The waste of food Empty
PostSubject: Re: The waste of food   The waste of food EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Some stores have arrangements with organizations so they won't be sued for the food donated.  My son was not well for a period of time but part of his rantings were about wasting food - which he refused to allow.  He had traveled in countries where he saw the children with distended stomachs and the hunger in their eyes.  He never forgot, even at a time of his own illness.  He made me very conscious of wasting food and I am careful with shopping and portions.  I don't have a garbage disposal and I think it makes me even more conscious of what I throw away.  I try to use everything I can to keep from putting it in the garbage can until the pick up day.

With the wealth in the world, hunger in our own country is disgusting and a crime on all those with plenty.  One thing I love about my community is those with grit who refuse to hide poverty and feed the hungry in the open air where all know that hunger exists.  They are fed with dignity and people in the community prepare the meals and contribute to the pantry for their bags of groceries.  We are one of the richest communities in the nation, with hungry children.  Go figure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

The waste of food Empty
PostSubject: Re: The waste of food   The waste of food EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 6:55 pm

I meant to add that our elementary school has 100% free lunch - and children don't have proper clothes to attend school.  Our church participates in the clothing closet and provides each child with a stuffed toy at the holiday time. That is the public school.  Those with wealth send their children to charter and private schools where they don't have to participate in the world of stark poverty and children arriving at school in their bed clothing. I resent the blindness associated with wealth.  I love those of wealth who can see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The waste of food Empty
PostSubject: Re: The waste of food   The waste of food EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 10:09 pm

The world can be thankful for people like you, DK.  Compasssion is never a waste of time.  Giving takes many forms and the rewards are great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The waste of food Empty
PostSubject: Re: The waste of food   The waste of food Empty

Back to top Go down

The waste of food
Page 1 of 1