Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Here I go again, folks

Go down 
+3
Abe F. March
alice
alj
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Here I go again, folks Empty
PostSubject: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:19 pm

You have to admit, though, it has been a while, and this one was too good to pass up:

Quote :
So then, what are we really questing for? And here is the answer: It is the fulfillment of what is potential in ourselves, our true selves. It is not an ego trip. You are not your ego. You experience your ego. You are not your thoughts. You experience your thoughts. You are not your feelings. You experience your feelings. And you are not your body. You behold your body. This recognition awakens a heritage within us that exists before all these mythologies, religions and belief systems came into being and into our traditions. It's an awakening of our own pre-ego, pre-Hindu, pre-Jewish, pre-Buddhist, pre-Muslim,pre-Christian hearts.
The Eastern Way: Oriental Mythology (Joseph Campbell Audio Collection I.3.1)

So, when we see ourselves, our true selves as part of a Source that existed before all of the "stuff" we see around us came into being, how can we not realize that we all came into existence from the same soup, and that there is no reason for competing or one-upping each other. What is the purpose of saying "my Creator is more powerful than your Creator" any more than "My daddy can beat up your daddy?"

Just me.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Good point!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Ann Here I go again, folks 950944
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Calls to mind Carl Jung's collective unconsciousness. Or the Borg.

Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 2:42 am

And how is the saying: The last become the first and the wise of pessimist could be good - when you never much want , then you will get it. Awful mess the life itself under senseless regulations.
Try to get clear this.
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 6:48 am

"I cannot live without books". Thomas Jefferson to John Adams 1815

When I visited the residence of Thomas Jefferson in Monticello it was evident that he loved books. His books are on display, but can't be touched by visitors.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 7:29 am

6/22/2011

Ann...

Great post !.......... Here I go again, folks 46482

Cheers..Joe.. Here I go again, folks 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 7:14 am

It's been a while:

Quote :
There is no "Thou shalt!" any more. There is nothing one has to believe, and there is nothing one has to do. On the other hand, one can of course, if one prefers, still choose to play at the old Middle Ages game, or some Oriental game, or even some sort of primitive game. We are living in a difficult time, and whatever defends us from the madhouse can be applauded as good enough—for those without nerve. Joseph Campbell; Myths to LIve By

Quote :
And they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink? And he said unto them, Can ye make the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days. And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old. And no man putteth new wine into old wineskins; else the new wine will burst the wineskins, and be spilled, and the wineskins shall perish. But new wine must be put into new wineskins; and both are preserved. No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

— Luke 5:33-39, Authorized King James Version
Other versions in Matthew, Mark, and Gospel of Thomas

Any ideas about a new wine for a new paradigm? Something to lift us from the current chaos and into a new order?

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 4:47 pm

I am torn on this. Being an accountant was my cup of tea. I could tell if I was right or wrong.

Everything in accounting is prescribed and folows rules-- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.

Life is not that way usually and it is hard to tell if you are on the right track or the the wrong one.

Now there seems to be no right or wrong.

Maybe that is okay--I kind of miss it though.

I am glad we are past everyone wearing their hair the same and dressing the same, but wonder how far we will go in the opposite direction. Now there is no sin greater than pointing out that certain things should/should not be done.

Confusing!

Last edited by alice on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 4:59 pm

I think it's temporary, Alice. Every now and again we reach a point where the world has changed so much that the old rules don't work.

It takes a while just to admit that it's time for a change.

After that, stuff needs to resettle enough for us to figure out what will work, and a few good leaders to help us make it happen.

Hopefully, we will find that next "right track" soon.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 5:09 pm

I have always been in a wilderland. As soon as I am sure of something, something changes and there I am, looking at the world as through a kalidescope. Beauty that is always changing and never can be reproduced exactly the same way again. Like dreaming and waking, trying to catch the visions of sleep.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 5:15 pm

About the new wine.

I think it must bubble up from the depths of the population of this country. The dregs, if you will, and produce a heady brew that intoxicates the country and ignites every spirit with the belief that what they think does matter and that they really can change the future.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 5:21 pm

I believe you might be right, Betty. When you think about it, isn't that how this country got started?

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 4:39 am

Betty Fasig wrote:
About the new wine.

I think it must bubble up from the depths of the population of this country. The dregs, if you will, and produce a heady brew that intoxicates the country and ignites every spirit with the belief that what they think does matter and that they really can change the future.

Love,
Betty

This morning's widget follows that same thought, Betty:

Quote :
[Heroes have] moved out of the society that would have protected them, and into the dark forest, into the world of fire, of original experience. Original experience has not been interpreted for you, and so you’ve got to work out your life for yourself. Either you can take it or you can’t. You don’t have to go far off the interpreted path to find yourself in very difficult situations. The courage to face the trials and to bring a whole new body of possibilities into the field of interpreted experience for other people to experience—that is the hero’s deed.

Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth with Bill Moyers

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 am

Quote :
There is an old standard saying about the arts: 'You need to learn all the rules, and then forget them' ... In writing a book, you are moving along on the wave of your inspiration and intuition, and then you come to a difficult passage, an area you have to cover in order to get from here to there, and your momentum stops. That’s when you have to bring in the rules.

A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 5:15 pm

The following article article and link were posted on the JCF message board, under the same "order vs postmodernism" discussion that has been discussed on at least one other thread on this forum, and is related to the discussions on this one.

Back to Human Dignity: From Modern to Postmodern Psychology; Paul C. Vitz
http://www.mmisi.org/ir/31_02/vitz.pdf

As I read it, I remembered Alice's comment earlier on this thread:
Quote :
I am torn on this. Being an accountant was my cup of tea. I could tell if I was right or wrong.

Everything in accounting is prescribed and folows rules-- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.

Life is not that way usually and it is hard to tell if you are on the right track or the the wrong one.

Now there seems to be no right or wrong.

Maybe that is okay--I kind of miss it though.

I am glad we are past everyone wearing their hair the same and dressing the same, but wonder how far we will go in the opposite direction. Now there is no sin greater than pointing out that certain things should/should not be done.

Confusing!

Vitz agrees with you, Alice:
Quote :
...as Sperry noted: “We would not want it otherwise; we would not want to live in an indeterminate noncausal...universe, totally unpredictable and with no reliability or rational higher meaning” (p. 879).

The article talks about several of the ideas expressed by Victor Frankl - a Holocaust survivor who became a psychologist, and who developed a form of therapy he called "Logotherapy," which emphasizes mankind's need to finding meaning in life.

The article debunks the "modern" psychology of behaviorism, which says everything is predetermined, and that humans are like Pavlov's dogs, who could be trained to salivate at the ringing of a bell. It emphasizes the importance of free will, but within determinism, not opposed to it:

Quote :
...behavior is mentally and subjectively driven, not merely physiologically or neurologically determined. In the new synthesis of the mental and physical realms, consciousness is understood as inextricably connected to the functioning brain, but consciousness is also seen as a qualitatively new and emergent property. ...The new cognitive understanding of mind is one that accepts two directions of causality: both the traditional bottom-up model of materialistic causality, and the new top-down mode elaborated by cognitive science.

He goes on to talk about the "butterfly effect" that quantum scientists discovered - the one that says a butterfly flapping its wings in Africa could eventually lead to a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico -, and how it applies to psychology by pointing out that a very minor happening can mushroom, over time, into something large and significant.

It helps to explain how two children, even twins, can grow up in the same household, with the same parents, and yet be very different in their personalities and in the way they view life.

It also discusses the quantum idea called "chaos theory," which explains how a period of chaos is necessary for an established pattern to change into a new one.

The article isn't exactly a quick read, for me, anyway, but it explains a lot about why we act the way we do, and how we cope (or don't) with change, which makes it very relevant to the world (or "worlds") we live in today.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here I go again, folks   Here I go again, folks Empty

Back to top Go down

Here I go again, folks
Page 1 of 1