Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Go down 
+4
Al Stevens
alice
dkchristi
joefrank
8 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? Empty
PostSubject: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 3:28 pm

12/7/2010

If you were in charge of the govt. what would
you do to stop the disaster and chaos that's headed
our way ? Me...

1. Slash all congressmen's salaries by 50%

2. Stop all foreign aide which runs into the
billions of dollars, except for a major disaster.

3. Lower the taxes on companies and corp.'s to
7.5 % for five years so they could create more
jobs.

4. Have people on un-employment work for their
un-employment, cleaning streets, working in
Senior homes, hospice centers, hospitals,
cleaning city streets, helping out at schools
to be teachers aides, etc.

5. Slash NASA"s budget by 50% , no need to
keep sending up space ships for what ? A
waste of money.

6. Stop the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, another
waste 3 Trillion dollars, we've lost so many lives,
money and energy...

7. Start taking care of our elderly, that segment of
the population is growing in huge numbers, start
giving them a generous cost of living increase,
a large segment live on Social Security only, only
a hand full are rich !

What would you do ?

Cheers..Joe.......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:06 pm

All of the retired wealthy receive social security. Drop them from the roles.
Stop the wars.
Empty the prisons to do all that work you mentioned for the unemployed. Unemployed need to be in school and looking for work - monitor that better.
Tax gasoline so high people are forced into carpooling and public transportation.
Legalize illegal drugs for dispensing from pharmacies along with alcohol, tobacco products and marijuana. Tax these highly along with gambling to pay for rehabilitation.
Provide preventive care to all citizens including nutrition training. Provide free dental to all children through age 18 (ends restorative adult dental work).
Stop drug advertising on television.
Provide tax incentives for small businesses to expand their operations to hire more workers. Corporations are not the major creators of jobs; what they giveth they taketh away in corporate salaries and perks.
Provide tax incentives to the lower middle classes who will have to spend it to survive, also boosting the economy. The wealthy do not spend more because they have more money...they already have everything they need and want.
Tax all churches and religious institutions. Most are businesses anyway.
Have no tax-free organizations. An organization needs to include the payment of taxes in their donor business plan.
Return tax breaks for interest paid on car loans and certain expenditures that benefit the economy.
Stop all farm subsidies and get back to a market economy in farming. Some small farms should be exempt, but none of the corporate farming industry.
Encourage consumption of local and seasonal foods: less fuel consumption.
Monitor school food programs to prevent childhood obesity and diabetes - throw out the soda machines, McDonald's & snack machines unless they hold yogert and fruit snack and other healthy snacks.
Tax corporate salaries to bring them down to reason. No corporate executive should earn more than the President of the United States of America.
Stop off-shore corporate tax loopholes.
Freeze all government salaries and salaries funded by state and federal funds everywhere until each entity provides cost-cutting measures to justify any reinstatement of wage increases or incentives. Cost cutting may not include laying off workers. Ex: job sharing; unpaid holidays; employee participation in funding benefits, etc.
Anyone not working: On unemployment benefits require 20 hours a week of infrastructure work to receive benefit leaving 20 hours for education and job search. No unemployment benefits: pay minimum wage for 40 hours per week work on infrastructure across the nation (WPA type projects).
Eliminate all state funded healthcare programs in favor of one universal, national opt in system put out for bid that incorporated everyone (including medicare). The bid could be a consortium of insurance companies.
Encourage home care for the elderly as opposed to nursing care (healthier and less costly required less trained service providers). Nursing homes are a disaster. Provide community center elder activities incorporating activities for the mind and body.
Advance students not by age or grade level but by basic skill attainment levels. Within age appropriate groupings, multi-age student will be working at a specific learning level. Incorporate teacher aides and parent volunteers (apply some private school models).
Eliminate charter schools - provide innovation incentives within public schools.
Set a ceiling on campaign expenditures and time frames to equal playing field.

Just a brainstorming - but I think this is a good thread
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:08 pm

Joe,

You and DK, You are hired.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:14 pm

I think we should close down the Congress and find a select body (perhaps some from the Congress and Senate) who can legislate outside of party affiliation in consult with the best minds of the country and other countries, think tanks, interns, whatever. In times of extreme emergency, a democracy is not the best solution. It takes strong leadership and a group of decision-makers that are quick on their feet and very bright.

On a sailboat, we didn't sail by committee. We all had our jobs and the Captain made the final decisions. Otherwise, we would have sunk.

In non-dangerous times, we consulted.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Our leaders, Republican and Democrat, have put our nation in harm's way. We need a new way to correct their errors. We may need a new style of government. Ours is broken by party. I heard a great joke on NPR - the Republicans think they can fix the economy by prayer - the Democrats think this is Sweden. They are both wrong and out of touch with governing in this century.

How many understand the Internet? Electronic communication? Social Networking? Smart Phones? We are being run by old men out of touch with the global world, locked into their jobs by constituents who don't know much more.

Don't get me wrong, there are people of a certain age who are savvy, who are global thinkers and who have kept up with the world. Very few are running our country from the Congress. They are running corporations instead. Our Congress is like a bunch of bobble heads, all bobble and no understanding of what will really make a difference.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 pm

12/7/2010

We need a third party: " 1776 " the old values,
Politicians can only run one term, period. Time for
the old farts to retire, look at Rangel, 80 and arrogant !
The IRS hasn't even gone after him for not paying taxes,
as I was told once: "There are favorites in hell and none
in heaven !"

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

1. Require members of Congress to get their own health care. Let them learn the doughnut hole the hard way.

2. Term limits. Three months ought to be enough.

3. Require that any member of Congress who votes in favor of war shall serve a year in the combat zone. On the front line. Unarmed.

4. Grant statehood to Mexico. Problem solved.

5. To pay off our debt, give Texas and Arizona to China.

6. Add an IQ test to the qualifications for elected office.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:58 pm

12/7/2010

Al..

I love the IQ test, many congressmen don't even
know the constitution, matter of fact I read there
is a clause that states if the public dislikes what
congress does, they can dissolve the govt. and start
all over again , I say why not, throw the bums out !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Al & Joe: I often disagree with your politics. I'm starting to fall in line with your most recent comments. :-) IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? 748523
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 5:13 pm

12/7/2010

Just read the liberal democrats are furious with
Obama, for giving in on the tax cuts and the un-
employment , as one democrat said " Obama threw
us under the bus !" I'm afraid they'll have to live
with it...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Require welfare recipients to be on birth control.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 pm

If I were in charge of the government?
I would look for a model that works. Because something worked in the past doesn't mean it can function efficiently today. Throwing money at a problem is not a solution, especially when the money being thrown is borrowed. A new mentality is needed. As with any product, there is only so much repair work that can be done. It is time for a new product - a new model. Embrace new technology.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 pm

Resign.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 5:45 am

JoElle wrote:
Resign.

IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? 973110 Miss you, JoElle.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 am

http://www.aolnews.com/opinion/article/opinion-show-some-gratitude-to-the-rich/19752526
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:59 am

Spoken like a true Republican.
I think the comments set the record straight.

A flat tax was once proposed. It is still a valid argument. Let's say 5 percent on the gross income - not net. Five percent of those earning $20,000 is fair. Five percent of those earning a billion is also fair. No deductions.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 am

I agree, a flat tax is fair. So why isn't it used? All I can think of is that it would put all the tax lawyers and accountants out of business.

BTW, I don't think the commenters set anyone straight on any article. I can hardly stand to read them anymore, they're all so poorly written. You can't find one that has all the words spelled right or has proper punctuation. They're downright painful to read. I'm always left wondering if illiterates are more likely to post comments or if this is truly representative of people's writing skills now.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 11:45 am

Careful, Elsie. Nothing kills a thread on an author's forum faster than wanting to talk about writing.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 11:54 am

Haha ...here's a comment from the English tuition hike article I just posted in the news section.

<< I know they make schoo lreally expensensive by making us take classess we do not need..

I do not expect free .. We live ina Montary system. But I do expect to be able to get a fiar priced edcuation.

If we lived a in a resource based economy everything is shared by all the people..... >>

Do people who write like this even read books? My guess is "no." This level of illiteracy will put authors and books out of business faster than anything else we've discussed here.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 12:20 pm

12/9/2010

10% Flat Tax On Everyone........

Except Food...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 2:57 pm

The problem is no one is in charge. Everyone knows what to do and would not be allowed by some one else to do it. We have so many special interests groups in this country, we need someone who can do what is best for the country.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 3:12 pm

12/10/2010

Alice..

As you can see right now in Washington both
sides are playing political foot ball and by the end of
next week I believe they go on Christmas vacation, you
watch no bills will be passed and one will blame the other!
I agree we need to put someone in power who'll take
charge....The democrats are doing a Cesar to Obama,
because he went behind their backs and cut a deal with
the Republicans, they call him a traitor, a Julius Cesar,etc.

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:48 pm

alice wrote:
The problem is no one is in charge. Everyone knows what to do and would not be allowed by some one else to do it. We have so many special interests groups in this country, we need someone who can do what is best for the country.

Precisely. Doing what is right for America appears to be "mission impossible". Party politics block needed action and make the President powerless. The supposed "most powerful position in the world" is true only when it comes to making war. Any wonder why some Presidents like to go to war when they are in office. It virtually guarantees them re-election.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 pm

12/10/2010

I believe it's the beginning of the end....America is declining
because our politicians are destroying it and they don't give
a dam, I predict soon their will be revolution in the streets
just like in europe , one country is falling after the other, their
all in severe debt ! Now we're headed for 14 trillion dollars and
the politicians don't care whose lives they play with ...........

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?   IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? Empty

Back to top Go down

IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF THE GOVT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
Page 1 of 1