Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

That Russian arms merchant

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

That Russian arms merchant Empty
PostSubject: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:20 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101117/ap_on_re_us/us_arms_suspect

What I'd like to know is, where/how is he GETTING all that stuff that he sells? It's not like you can buy it at Walmart.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 am

My guess is Russia. Everything is for sale for the right price.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:56 am

Well, if he's getting it from Russia, it's awfully hypocritical for them to insist that he should be tried there, not here. Their arms factories sure must be lax or corrupt. Military contractors here can't sell their stuff to just anyone.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 am

Sad to say, Russian leaders have not been noted for their veracity. Neither, might I add, have the ieaders of any country, including our own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:57 am

Have any of you ever made a visit to Russia?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 am

Yes, 20 years ago. I took a three week tour of Moscow, Leningrad, and some other city (can't remember the name, there was a beautiful Orthodox church there).
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:36 am

Do you think Russia has changed since your visit? That was years ago lol. There is poverty in Russia. Why?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 am

My dad made several business trips there during the late 70's. A shipyard in Rotterdam had the license to build one of his rigs, and they were marketing it to Petro-Baltic.

I remember him telling how he and the rep from RDM, the shipyard, had complained one evening in the "privacy" of their hotel room in Moscow, about the attitude of one of the Russians at the negotiating table, and later realized that it was the last they ever saw of him.

That was pre-peristroika, of course. But the black market was very strong. Buying anything at a Russian store was very complicated, he told us. You had to fill out a form, take it to a clerk, who would send for the merchandise. There were long waiting lists for many items.

One of Susan's old beaus went there during the early 90's. This was a truly enterprising kid - his trip included Africa as well as Eastern Europe. He filled a suitcase, before he left, with Levi 301 jeans, sold them in Russia and paid for his trip.

Point is, It's my understanding that it is almost easier to get things under the table there than it is over the counter.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 10:40 am

Good comments. But there must have been change by now. Should we or people outside of Russia make a visit?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 10:41 am

Quote :
Do you think Russia has changed since your visit? That was years ago lol. There is poverty in Russia. Why?

I'm sure it has. What's your point? My OP wondered how that arms merchant got his stuff.

And FWIW, when I visited Russia 20 years ago, it looked poor and broken-down then.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 11:00 am

I wanted to know more about Russia. I would like to make a visit.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:18 am

Would you visit Russia now?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 6:52 am

Who, me? Sure, if it were on my must-visit list. Right now China is. We're looking at a trip to Shanghai and Beijing in March.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:35 pm

That looks good. You can tell us all about your visit when your back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That Russian arms merchant   That Russian arms merchant Empty

Back to top Go down

That Russian arms merchant
Page 1 of 1