Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

TIME

Go down 
+5
Al Stevens
alice
alj
Shelagh
Abe F. March
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

TIME - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TIME   TIME - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 am

When I taught art to a class of teenagers studying for their first national exam (GCE), they hated me. The first term consisted of art exercises and no sketching or painting. The first set of exercises used dots and progressed to circles. The last set of exercises started with broken lines and finished with continuous lines. Their first homework assignment was to draw a household item of their choice without taking the pencil off the paper. They had to vary the pressure of the lead on the paper to depict form -- no shading allowed.

I drove then dotty!

When they returned from a school trip to Venice, they were tripping over themselves in the doorway to the art room -- talking over each other at the same time!

"Oh, miss, we saw everything!"

"WE saw the reflections, the decorations, the bridges and the buildings. The others didn't see it! But WE did! WE are special because we do ART!"

They were special all right!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

TIME - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TIME   TIME - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 am

Good story Shelagh.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

TIME - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TIME   TIME - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 am

LC wrote:
I've never interviewed anyone on their deathbed. I don't know what they say.
I wish I could say that. You are fortunate to have been spared that particular pain.
LC wrote:

Do people wish they spent more time sitting on their asses reading novels, fishing, shopping, and watching TV? I'd rather be at the office.
The underlying meaning of that quote is obvious to those who understand. People wish they had spent more time with other people who should have mattered more to them than did their jobs.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

TIME - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TIME   TIME - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:33 am

"Business! Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were all my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
- the ghost of Jacob Marley
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

TIME - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TIME   TIME - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:49 am

Al Stevens wrote:
The underlying meaning of that quote is obvious to those who understand. People wish they had spent more time with other people who should have mattered more to them than did their jobs.

I understand it. It's an overwrought, soppy saying that people like to pull out to justify spending even more time watching TV.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who spent loads of time with other people, and then wished on their deathbeds they were able to pay for a better old age. And a better young age, for that matter. The grass is always greener.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TIME - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TIME   TIME - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

TIME
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2