Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Woman sues doctor after catching fire during surgery

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Woman sues doctor after catching fire during surgery Empty
PostSubject: Woman sues doctor after catching fire during surgery   Woman sues doctor after catching fire during surgery EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 am

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/03/31/woman-sues-doctor-after-catching-fire-during-surgery

Wow, I wonder if "accidents" like this will become more or less common after health care reform, and if people will be able to sue for it.

I read that surgical fires happen something like 200x/year -seems a lot to me. Who knew?
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Woman sues doctor after catching fire during surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Woman sues doctor after catching fire during surgery   Woman sues doctor after catching fire during surgery EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 7:34 am

I have heard some horror stories about problems during reconstruction surgery, which influenced me to forego these procedures.

One time I was having some minor surgery when the fire alarm went off and all doors were closed and the surgery stopped. They couldn't take me out of surgery, as I was hooked up to tubes and in the process of more extensive procedures that had to cease for about an hour. It was not a pleasant experience, but I do think they did all they could to take care of me, although the fire was not in the room where I was and I wasn't in real danger. They were just following hospital procedures.

I don't think there will be any more instances. In fact, there should be fewer. The passing of the bill is just the first step. My husband is reading a book about overtreatment which we have been discussing in depth. So many unnecessary procedures are done. Million dollar machines are purchased and then need to be reimbursed by use, which is not always necessary.

I readily refuse scans and x-rays. I believe that if a test will make no difference it is unnecessary. But in the beginning of my illness, a simple x-ray would have shown my problems. Neither the clinic nor the hospital were to blame, but a doctor was. I am much more informed and knowledgeable which we all have to be. We need to be self-advocates. I have a team of several doctors, a physician assistant, nurses, and a pharmacist, all readily giving me information and insisting I call and get upset when I don't and have some problem.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler

Woman sues doctor after catching fire during surgery
Page 1 of 1