Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...

Go down 
+5
E. Don Harpe
Dick Stodghill
Domenic Pappalardo
thehairymob
RunsWithScissors
9 posters
AuthorMessage
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... Empty
PostSubject: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:01 am

My wonderful little laptop was screaming at me last night:

** YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN INFECTED **
** ALERT **
** YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN INFECTED **
** ALERT **

An automatic scan turned itself on and proclaimed I had 34 viruses and I needed to download a certain software to remove them. I was skeptical.

I tried to go to www.symantec.com (a great site for checking out viruses, threats, etc.) and I wasn't able to access the site (a bad sign). Then I tried to access the Windows update site and couldn't access it either. ** sigh **

I turned off my laptop, unplugged everything and brought it to the computer doctor this morning. They said it will cost a minimum of $100 to get rid of any viruses that are on the machine. Blech!

I came into work and checked out the Symantec site and found out that I actually did have a virus, one that tells me I have more viruses and need to pay for and downlowd software to get rid of it!

I'm without my laptop for a couple of days now, so will have limited access to the 'net. I.will.die.without.my.internet.connection. Not really, of course. It will just feel that way. ** giggling madly **
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Hope you get rid of the blighter quickly and are back with us soon. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 2:37 pm

You can replace the hard drive for about $80.
I think the viruses sent out are from those who sell programs to remove them. You should have a program in Yahoo to track and remove it.

Having a virus is like having cooties. (pediculus humanus.) One person gets em, and everyone gets em.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 3:15 pm

There was a warning on the news about that very thing. The only virus is probably the one they created if you clicked on their warning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Merri, the next step all depends on how much you have on your hard drive that you absolutely want to keep. If you've backed everything up, and have the program disks to reload all of your programs, an fdisk is pretty easy to do. Of course, that wipes your hard drive of everything and you have to start completely over, but it will save you the money of having to get someone to work on it.

Just wondering, can you still access the internet with it? There might be a place you can download some anti virus software that will take care of it if you can get on line.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 6:20 pm

That's a VERY BAD VIRUS. It will take a very skilled shop to eliminate it. It was so complicated when It was explained to me that I won't try here. Just when you think it is gone, it reappears because it sends things and messages to everywhere that even a skilled "fixer" might miss. A new hard drive is your best bet if possible. It will also travel to your backups and re-infect every computer you transfer files to. VERY BAD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Merri, how distressing! Do you normally run anti-virus software? Which one didn't catch it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm a "backer-upper" from way back! So, I have double copies of all my documents on a flash drive and CDs. I have had three anti-virus software programs installed and each one has given me so much trouble I have ended up uninstalling them. ** sigh ** Now I'm wondering if I've had the bug for quite some time. I never had any problems until I went from dial-up to high speed internet access.

I also have spyware protection and a fire wall. I've done total scans of my computer three times in the past six months and it's found threats that were listed as minor and deleted them.

Don, I was able to access the internet, but could not access sites that would help me fix a virus if I had one. That's a definite sign of trouble!

Dick, exactly! Ack!

Domenic, I don't have all of the original CDs for my programs. I would hate to start over from scratch unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks for the support! I'm at Mom's home right now using her computer. =) I miss the 'net already!!
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyWed May 20, 2009 7:48 pm

cooties
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:28 am

I have anti virus, anti spyware, an adware remover and firewall. All are freeware and if the were to give me trouble I would get another freeware package to repalce the problem software. Antivirus is from Avast, spyware from Spyware Terminator, Firewall from Ashampoo Firewall andf the adware is Ad-ware Remover from Lavasoft. All help keep me safe but be warned that there is no such thing as completely safe. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:47 am

I don't have a Mac right now. Used to have one. That's one thing I liked about them. Less chance of "bugs".

On our PC we NEVER use Explorer. We use Mozilla Firefox. Seems to get less "bugs" too.

Plus we do have an anti-virus and sweep regularly.

So far so good.

Merri, very SMART LADY! Always back up!

mmmm ... wonder if I should send your computer a 'get well soon' card? Heh!
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:52 am

JoElle, I drove past the place where my laptop is right now (I refer to it as the computer doctor - ha!) and my heart was yearning to see my sweet lil' friend. I feel so attached to it. It's kind of silly.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:38 am

JoElle,
Ever since I stopped using Explorer and switched to Mozilla Firebox I haven't had a problem with viruses.

Concerning the one that Merri has, I got that two years ago and couldn't get rid of it. It was infected by the people trying to sell a package to remove it. Those people I would consider using torture. Remember, I said "consider."
I had my HD re-formatted and that solved the problem. That's when I switched to Mozilla.
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyThu May 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Squeeeee!!! I'm typing this post on my completely virus free laptop! Yea! I'm also all hooked up with Norton antivirus and will be receiving updates automatically. And, I have my entire system on a weekly back-up schedule that is automatic. Hopefully, this will mean I won't be having "infections" again. ** knock on wood ** Nothing is 100%, of course.

Oh, it's so nice to be back online again at home!! ** petting my sweet lil' laptop **
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:16 pm

whoo hoo Merri!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:46 pm

Let's do the dance of joy!!!

Yay!!!

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... Smiley-dance010
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... 467915 Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... 964195 Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... 467915 Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... 986243 Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... 798629 drunken
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:34 am

H'mmm - have to think of a way to rain on this parade of happiness. Nothing leaps to mind.
Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... 921805
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:41 am

That did it! Ha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...   Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News... Empty

Back to top Go down

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...
Page 1 of 1