Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Vanity vs Legitimate

Go down 
+8
Domenic Pappalardo
Carol Troestler
mike bryon
alj
Shelagh
Abe F. March
lin
Rd357
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rd357

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Vanity vs Legitimate Empty
PostSubject: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Do you let your ego overtake your strive for success? Just a question for all those here. I read several posts on here that discourage looking at POD or Vanity publishing as anything other than legitimate, is that due to egos or actual information you have?

I know, if I got suckered into something and didn't want my ego bruised, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep it under wraps.

Wouldn't it be easier to just accept something and move on to the next rather than argue about it on the net?
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:27 pm

POD publishing (common initials for "Poisoning On Deadline") is not only illegitimate, but also illiterate and illicit.  Nobody's ego should be exteniquished by putting poison on their Depends and publishing in Vanity Faire is a legitimous as any other ego expansion technique and therefore it is a right, nay a privilege, nay an obligation to argue about it over the net between sets.   The idea that egos are somehow how less legimate than teeth of nails shows a coporal racism structure that is totally invidious, insidious, and even, in fact, inspirational.  Don't let them fill your teeth with nails when your OWN EGO can poison not only you but those around you without the slightest warning or respite.  Don't let them take away your name and give you a number.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Lin,
I know you're a good writer, however this post gives the impression that you were enjoying some bubbly when you wrote it, or were using a spell checker with some unknown dialect.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 pm

I try to respond in the same intellectual level as the original post.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 am

Rd357 wrote:
Do you let your ego overtake your strive for success?
No.

Rd357 wrote:
Just a question for all those here. I read several posts on here that discourage looking at POD or Vanity publishing as anything other than legitimate, is that due to egos or actual information you have?
What has ego got to do with the perception of POD publishing? Print on Demand is a method of printing a book/magazine/brochure or anything else that someone wishes to see in print. Why would this be seen as anything other than a legitimate business practice?

Rd357 wrote:
I know, if I got suckered into something and didn't want my ego bruised, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep it under wraps.
Which puts you in the same group as those who spend hundreds of hours of their time complaining that they were conned when, in fact, they were stupid and made a stupid decision.

Rd357 wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just accept something and move on to the next rather than argue about it on the net?
What's stopping you from moving on? All the authors here are in the process of moving on through self-publishing, small press publishers and by seeking commercial publishers.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 am

Why try to fight a losing battle? When your head becomes bloody from hitting it against the wall, common sense tells you to stop.
Going with the flow means you're moving - not stagnating.
If your intent is to get something deemed worthwhile published, then you make it happen. What method you employ is based on the choices available.
There are those who stand on the corner sticking out their thumb waiting to be picked up while others drive by in their own car.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 6:02 am

An old friend is clearly feeling frustrated over something, and is, once again, choosing to relieve it by upping the kicks to that old and very dead horse.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 6:48 am

I’ll take you at your word and answer your question “for all those here”. “Do you let your ego overtake your strive for success?”

Ego means sense of self. My self-esteem sometimes gets in the way of my writing and consequently my success but usually it is an important cause of any success. When my self esteem is very low it gets in the way. I guess every writer has these moments. But while my low self esteem can sometimes overwhelm me usually it spurs me on to work hard, to do better, to check that I’m correct, to respect my reader.

Sorry if I have failed to answer your question but I’m not sure what you mean by ‘overtake your strive for success’.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 7:06 am

Mike,

Vanity vs Legitimate 950944
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 7:37 am

I can't speak for others, but I don't believe (for myself) that winning, or losing over-shadows my writing. I want to do the best I can. I want to know if I can, or cannot write. The New York goal I have is a marker to gage that goal. If I knew I was the best I could be...I would publish anyway I could.

I am not writing for the world. Not trying to change the life of anyone. I write for me. The more I write, the more I learn about Domenic.
I do not care if the world never knew I was here...That's not why I write.
I write for the same reason I sail my boat; because like the wind, writing sets me free.

"Life's a banquat and most poor suckers are starving to death."
Back to top Go down
NYT BEST
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 7:39 am

Vanity vs Legitimate Icon_flower

Last edited by NYT BEST on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:31 am

Just absolutely freaking amazing.
Back to top Go down
NYT BEST
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:43 am

Sleep

Last edited by NYT BEST on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:09 am

I will third that.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:14 am

OK - this is my take. You are all free to make it your take, too, or leave it alone. Your choice.

Mainline publishers are in deep trouble. Part of the reason is that they have lost sight of writing as art, and have, like many other big businesses today, made books a mere commodity. These "commercial" publishers are not interested in quality, only in making a profit.

So, as artists, we have to find alternate solutions to getting our creations out there. We turn to self-publishing, POD publishers, and smaller independent publishers who are willing to take a risk when they see something good. And much of what is getting published through these sources is very, very good.

Now, don't read this with your either/or minds. Move in from the poles of duality for a bit, and get centered.

This new situation makes it even more important for us to hone our craft. We must do everything we can to see that we are giving our very best. We can help each other to do that on sites like this one.

And we can support each other in marketing our artistically created products by sharing tips, links to websites, reviews, and encouraging each other.

Of course, in this period of change, we are going to see some products of less than stellar quality. But, who knows, some of what we are judging might be tomorrow's Shakespeares or Whitmans: poets who were disregarded by their critics because what they were doing was new and different, and therefor, misunderstood by smaller minds.

Personally, when I read much of the stuff that's coming from mainline publishers today, I wonder if I want to be a part of it. The work is formulaic; the assumption is made that anyone who is a known commodity can write or have something ghost-written, and make a better profit for the business. Art gets lost in the shuffle.

I am working to become an artist. That means that in addition to working at my craft, I am listening for inspiration from my soul, and writing what I hear singing to me. For now, I've temporarily set aside trying to finish a product so I can focus on that listening.

I like coming here to listen.

Ann

Last edited by alj on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:17 am

Ann,

Good post. I agree.

Carol
Back to top Go down
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:18 am

What is ‘Just absolutely freaking amazing’.

And sorry I did not mean to imply that I was answering for anyone here but myself.
Back to top Go down
NYT BEST
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 am

Sleep

Last edited by NYT BEST on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:23 am

NYT BEST SELLING AUTHOR wrote:
Ann,

Great point. If only I were you.

Geez, NYC. I thought I was you.Vanity vs Legitimate 798629

Ann
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:28 am

But like the music business the big names will survive inone form or another. They won't just roll over because of POD. If a self published work get's enough buyers, then the big publishing house will step in and iffer the author a deal to get his title. And who here woundn't accept an offer from them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:41 am

There is a good discussion going on here, if one can sort through the miscellaneous chatter.

I believe in supporting art and creativity and high quality writing.

I also believe that as authors in a changing world we do have a say in what happens to our work.

And I believe in learning and research.

Now that may be different than the beliefs of others. Getting that big publisher is an admirable goal. Seeing a book in print and published in some form is an admirable goal.

We do quite well here in congratulating authors on their publications and often don't even know who the publishers are.

But it is hard to congratulate someone when you don't even know what the books are they had published, even a genre would be nice to know.

And I have absolutely no idea what was meant by "absolutely freaking amazing" either.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:46 am

mike bryon wrote:
What is ‘Just absolutely freaking amazing’.

And sorry I did not mean to imply that I was answering for anyone here but myself.
I set up a fan page on facebook less than an hour ago and it has over forty fans already! That is absolutely freaking amazing!

Here's the page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Published-Authors/347802583419
Back to top Go down
NYT BEST
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:56 am

Last edited by NYT BEST on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 am

The gift that keeps on giving.
Back to top Go down
NYT BEST
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 11:07 am

Last edited by NYT BEST on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vanity vs Legitimate   Vanity vs Legitimate Empty

Back to top Go down

Vanity vs Legitimate
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next