Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?

Go down 
+8
A Ahad
alj
Charlie Moore
madhatter
P. Gordon Kennedy
NYT BEST
alice
joefrank
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 9:54 am

lol!

Last edited by alice on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 9:56 am

lol!

Last edited by alice on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Just me

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 am

The terroist are wrong in killing people...but, has anyone thought about why they are attacking America?

Domenic
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 10:03 am

lol!

Last edited by alice on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 10:05 am

Just me wrote:
The terroist are wrong in killing people...but, has anyone thought about why they are attacking America?

Domenic

Who cares? Take away their putative reasons and they'll make up others. Sort of like people who claim so-and-so is why they left a message board. lol
Back to top Go down
Just me

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 10:10 am

Check this out...

Type this into your space bar:

Who took down the twin towers, and building 7?

Domenic
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 10:24 am

LC wrote:
Sort of like people who claim so-and-so is why they left a message board. lol
Who would claim such a thing? You mean people need excuses? Boy you sure do learn something new every day.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Just me

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 10:32 am

Type this in the space bar:

Video Did a rocket hit the Pentogon? Where is the plane?

Domenic
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 10:44 am

alice wrote:
Abe F. March wrote:
We don't need tighter security. We need to address the cause, and until that is resolved, no security will screen out those seeking revenge.

What is the cause?

"They Plotted Revenge Against America" covers that.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 pm

About screening: What's the problem? Have you ever had an x-ray? Security personnel have the right to do a body search and that is worse than a screening. In reality, security would be speeded up. No taking off of shoes, belts, cleaning out pockets, etc.

The alternative will be when some airline promotes a nude flight as the safest way to fly. I'll bet they will be overbooked.

Our privacy has already been invaded with electronic devices. For all those who endorse technology, they should not object to screening. I think screening will happen whether one objects or not. The only way to avoid it is not to take public transportation.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 3:17 pm

DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 Lol

Last edited by alice on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 7:35 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100102/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan

So a suicide bomber just killed 75 people at a volleyball game in Pakistan.

I suppose there was no screening because until you can get to the root of why suicide bombers hate Pakistanis, it doesn't matter?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 5:44 am

I've been reading and rereading all the posts on this thread, and I cannot find one post that says we should not have screening. Some of us have been saying that screening will not always catch the perpetrators, so we should also be looking into the causes, but no one has said we should eliminate it.

We cannot expect the screening measures to completely protect us. As long as there are people in the world who are desperate enough to kill themselves, we will be at risk. It doesn't matter how much we up the security measures, the desperate ones will find a means.

We seem to be back to that either/or thing again.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 8:04 am

lol!

Last edited by alice on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 10:10 am

alj wrote:
I've been reading and rereading all the posts on this thread, and I cannot find one post that says we should not have screening. Some of us have been saying that screening will not always catch the perpetrators, so we should also be looking into the causes, but no one has said we should eliminate it.

The way those comments followed the original question, it seemed to imply that nothing would work until the root cause was solved. Which will never happen because there's no root cause besides craziness and a religion that encourages and attracts crazies. No one said screening was 100% effective, either. Until the airlines make everyone ride nude, lol. But not even then -something will be hidden in the luggage.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 pm

LC wrote:
alj wrote:

The way those comments followed the original question, it seemed to imply that nothing would work until the root cause was solved. Which will never happen because there's no root cause besides craziness and a religion that encourages and attracts crazies. No one said screening was 100% effective, either. Until the airlines make everyone ride nude, lol. But not even then -something will be hidden in the luggage.

So, what is the argument about? DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 Icon_smile

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Jenny
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Jenny

Number of posts : 531

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:05 pm

I returned home on New Year's Day after a month in Florida. When I left Manchester here in the UK, I went through four - yes, you read correctly - four separate screenings before I even reached the departure gate, let alone boarded the plane.

When I arrived at Tampa to fly to Atlanta for the return international flight, I went through a normal screening procedure, ie my hand luggage x-rayed and a walk through the machine which checks for metal objects.

There were people in line with litre bottles of water and three and four pieces of hand luggage. None were stopped by the TSA or whoever is responsible for screening passengers in America, despite all the TV coverage to the contrary.

When I arrived in Atlanta, I changed terminals and expected to go through the screening process again. How wrong I was! There was absolutely nothing apart from a quick look at my passport and boarding pass. Despite all the media hype that we would not be allowed blankets, would have to remain in our seats for the last hour of the flight, only one piece of carry on luggage and that the screen showing the exact whereabouts of the plane during the flight would be turned off, none of that occured.

Security screening in the USA is a joke.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victoriahoward.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Jenny,
you're right. Security screening is not consistent, however the toughest screening are international flights into the USA. We learned that wasn't consistent either when they allowed the Nigerian on board the flight from Amsterdam.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Jenny,

Good to see you. Happy New Year! I hope your holiday set you up for writing your next novel!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Jenny
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Jenny

Number of posts : 531

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi Shelagh,

Thanks for the welcome back. I've pages of notes to help me finish the book I started last year... now I need the time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.victoriahoward.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?   DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

DO WE NEED STRICTER SCREENING TO PREVENT TERRORISM?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2