Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes   Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 8:44 am

Most readers' eyes glaze over when they encounter more than several lines in a novel about the place setting. Chances are, this happens because the author's eyes were glazed over when he wrote them.

Proactive description serves many purposes. Perhaps you've heard gurus say that the world around you mirrors who and what you are. You may not believe that about real life, but it's true of the fictional world surrounding the characters in a novel. What the characters think about what they see, tells you more about them than the scene itself.
-

In today's Writer's Notebook, I use three short example from my novel to show what I mean. Stop by and tell me what you think.

--Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes   Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 9:47 am

Great examples, Malcolm. The descriptions in each example show us, not only the character's perspective, but set a tone for interpreting emotional aspect in that particular situation.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes   Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 10:35 am

Thank you, Ann!

Jock looks out windows so often, I had trouble choosing which examples to use.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes   Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Malcome...good job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes   Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes Empty

Back to top Go down

Using PLACE to mirror character circumstances and attitudes
Page 1 of 1