Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Giving and Receiving -A Link?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Giving and Receiving -A Link? Empty
PostSubject: Giving and Receiving -A Link?   Giving and Receiving -A Link? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 am

I'm a fan of Robert Kiyosaki's (Rich Dad fame) books. I like the one he wrote with Donald Trump, too.

He discusses his philosophy of money and earning it in all his books. In the one I'm reading now, "Increase Your Financial IQ," he discusses his thoughts on religion vs. earning money, specifically tithing. He thinks tithing is important, but his angle for this is that God is your partner and when you stop paying your partners, they stop working with you. He says God is the best business partner he ever had because He only asks for 10% and lets him (Kiyosaki) keep 90%.

Anyhow, related to that, I've noticed that when I make contributions to charity, something good often comes my way shortly after. My most recent experience of this was sending a check to my favorite charity (an evangelical homeless mission), and a week later receiving a contact name for someone who might provide images for my book. I contacted that person and am now in receipt of 50 gorgeous, high-resolution images that are going to absolutely vault my book (IMO) ahead of the competition. Getting people to send you a piece or two of their work is hard enough, but 50? And of this quality? Rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth.

Have you ever noticed a correlation between charitable deeds/giving and something lucrative coming your way shortly afterwards?
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Giving and Receiving -A Link?   Giving and Receiving -A Link? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:32 am

No, mainly because I never thought of giving to recieve.
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Giving and Receiving -A Link?   Giving and Receiving -A Link? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:35 am

Well, I'm not saying it should be the reason (although Kiyosaki hints that, lol) but it may be sent as a reward anyhow.

I'd like to add that I don't know the person who sent me the drawings at all, which makes it even more unusual. I simply received his name from someone else (whom I also don't know that well).
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Giving and Receiving -A Link?   Giving and Receiving -A Link? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:53 am

It is sort of like "do what you love and the money will follow." I gave away a lot of time at my clinic, saw clients for free, helped organizations in need of professional expertise for free. And indeed good things, including money, followed, although the money was a complete surprise. When I went to sell this business, I asked my accountant for its worth and he gave me an unbelievably high number. Not that I got that much. I just gave potential buyers his letter.

One year in early December our accountant said I had to give away $3000 by Christmas time. It was one of the happiest things I've ever done, thinking, studying and deciding. And much was anonymous.

I do believe the saying "what goes around, comes around." I do believe it never hurts to express feelings, give to others, ask for the moon.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Giving and Receiving -A Link?   Giving and Receiving -A Link? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Carol Troestler wrote:
It is sort of like "do what you love and the money will follow."

Well, a lot of people in the arts would probably disagree with that. Some fields are really hard to make money in. I would rephrase that as, give value and the money will follow. Not that I made that up, lol. Trump and Kioysaki say that if you provide value and solve people's problems the money will follow (not that they made that up, either, lol).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giving and Receiving -A Link?   Giving and Receiving -A Link? Empty

Back to top Go down

Giving and Receiving -A Link?
Page 1 of 1