Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

Go down 
+8
Betty Fasig
thehairymob
Dick Stodghill
Helen Wisocki
alice
zadaconnaway
E. Don Harpe
Don Stephens
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND Empty
PostSubject: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 9:42 am

bounce

Last edited by D. J. (Don) Stephens on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 9:57 am

I wrote this in the early ninties, it was recorded four times with the original lyrics. After 9/11, I rewrote it to reflect what happened that day.

THE AMERICAN WAY

E. Don Harpe

We don’t always like it and we don’t always agree

But the facts are written on the pages of American history

If you’re picking on my brother, you’ve just picked a fight with me

And while we stand together you can’t bring us to our knees.

That’s the American Way, say can you see it

Baptized in fire and written in brothers blood

The American Way, take it or leave it,

Cause it’s alive and well and doing good

Living in the patriotic hearts of a thousand neighborhoods

The American Way.

Some folks are buying terror and sending it our way

In airplanes or in envelopes, they’re trying to make us pay

For something they think we did wrong, but we’ve got lots to say

When we were at our lowest point, we raised our heads to pray.

It’s the American Way, take it or leave it,

The American Way.

In New York and in Washington, in the Pennsylvania sky

They hit us hard and they brought tears to a million American eyes

But they forgot the lessons, that the years have proven true

When you get our backs against a wall, we’re coming after you.

Cause these colors never run, Lord these colors never fade

I know that’s why I’m proud that I can look at you today,

And I can say;

The American Way, take it or leave it,

The American Way.

Ó 1994 – 2009 Harpe
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:20 am

There will be flags placed on many gravesites over the holiday around this country. May we never forget!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:25 am

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 748523 Let's not forget the sick one's either.

Some of them kept their lives and lost their minds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:30 am

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 704672 Great thread, Don! And great song, other Don!
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 12:55 pm

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 950944
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 1:53 pm

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 354181 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 607436 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 545232 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 258715 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 748523 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 614331 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 592730 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 467915 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 467915 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 467915 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 973110 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 973110 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 973110 MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 60121 cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 2:58 pm

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. There are many stories as to its actual beginnings, with over two dozen cities and towns laying claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day. There is also evidence that organized women's groups in the South were decorating graves before the end of the Civil War: a hymn published in 1867, "Kneel Where Our Loves are Sleeping" by Nella L. Sweet carried the dedication "To The Ladies of the South who are Decorating the Graves of the Confederate Dead" (Source: Duke University's Historic American Sheet Music, 1850-1920). While Waterloo N.Y. was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it's difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day. It is more likely that it had many separate beginnings; each of those towns and every planned or spontaneous gathering of people to honor the war dead in the 1860's tapped into the general human need to honor our dead, each contributed honorably to the growing movement that culminated in Gen Logan giving his official proclamation in 1868. It is not important who was the very first, what is important is that Memorial Day was established. Memorial Day is not about division. It is about reconciliation; it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all.
General John A. Logan
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, [LC-B8172- 6403 DLC (b&w film neg.)]

Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873. By 1890 it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day, honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war). It is now celebrated in almost every State on the last Monday in May (passed by Congress with the National Holiday Act of 1971 (P.L. 90 - 363) to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays), though several southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead: January 19 in Texas, April 26 in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi; May 10 in South Carolina; and June 3 (Jefferson Davis' birthday) in Louisiana and Tennessee.
In 1915, inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields," Moina Michael replied with her own poem:
We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Memorial Day is special, not just in America but around the world. Taking the time to remember those whose lives were lost performing a service for their country is important. It is not always remembering the deeds of the victor, but sometimes remembering the waste of lives for an unjust cause.
Dead is dead. Someone's son or daughter died for their country. It would be great to feel that all deaths were in a just cause, but sadly, that is not always the case.
Back to top Go down
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptySat May 23, 2009 4:08 am

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 572534
Time to reflect and say thank you to all the veterans that sacrificed their lives for their country. Regardless of the conflict, the time, the day, or the year the sacrifices have been the same. Forever held in esteem in our memories and our hearts. God bless the fallen solidiers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/abcedit
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyMon May 25, 2009 6:54 pm

Thank you ... to all who have served, to those who still do, and for those who paid the ultimate price.

Vickie
Back to top Go down
http://www.torylynn.webs.com/torylynn
Richard Stanbery
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Richard Stanbery

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyMon May 25, 2009 8:42 pm

I dont know if we are supposed to hang a flag in front of our houses on Memorial Day, but I did anyway. I dont figure that it would hurt anything to do so. I didnt see many others in the neighborhood though.
Heck, I'm the kind of wierdo that thinks that June 14th is flagday, and usually hang a flag then too.
I think I may be more patriotic than smart, at least I think the neighbors feel that way? I dont care what the neighbors think. You can tell by looking at my avatar (that's me) that I'm not real couth by any means (like I care). My neighbors all think I'm nuts anyway. I dont care what anybody thinks, I'll hang Old Glory out regardless.

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 748523
Back to top Go down
http://richardstanbery.webs.com/index.htm
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Richard,

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 748523 The flag flys at my house everyday it's not storming!!! MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND 748523
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND   MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND Empty

Back to top Go down

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
Page 1 of 1