Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Memorial Day

Go down 
+2
Don Stephens
dkchristi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Memorial Day   Memorial Day EmptySat May 24, 2014 7:27 am

I'm sure there are parades.  I remember living in small towns where the parade for Memorial Day was a big deal.  The fire trucks were all decked out  and every truck in town had somebody waving from the truck bed.  The kids rode their bikes with red, white and blue streamers and every veteran and member of the military marched in their uniforms.

I have great admiration  for the men and women who step forward to protect our country locally and abroad.  They know when they sign the dotted line that their future may be one of potential death.  Their job requires the maximum physical and mental capabilities.  They sublimate their will to the orders of their commanders.

I admire their families too who must wait and worry and support their loved one's chosen career. 

So, on this weekend to remember those who fought in wars and that also honors our loved ones who have passed, may our hearts be filled with gratitude for this great country of possibilities and those who make it possible to live with freedoms unknown in most of the world.

To those veterans and those who support them, thank you.  You deserve the benefits of the society you have protected: a quality occupation with a living wage, a safe residence, educational opportunities and appropriate medical care.  As a  taxpayer, I am willing to support the legislation and costs to insure you have this is your life. Without your service, I might not have them in mine.

For all those celebrating this weekend with family and friends, treasure them.  For all the glitz and glam of the world, nothing is better than a shared meal enhanced with gratitude and a warm smile across the table.

Be safe as you drive to the mountains, the lakes and the oceans across this beautiful nation.  Enjoy their beauty and commit to their preservation for generations to come.  Consider walking, hiking, bike riding and crossing a shorter distance with a more meaningful experience.

Happy Memorial Day - Enjoy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Memorial Day EmptySat May 24, 2014 11:01 am

GOD BLESS ALL WHO SERVE AT HOME AND ABROAD.

A special blessing for those families who are left behind and suffer in anguish for their loved ones in harm's way.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NEVER FORGET!

It is the Soldier, not the minister

Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter

Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet

Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer

Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer

Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician

Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,

Who serves beneath the flag,

And whose coffin is draped by the flag,

Who allows the protester to burn the flag.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Memorial Day EmptySat May 24, 2014 11:30 am

5/24/2014

Don......... Memorial Day 950944 

I always put out the flag to honor my grandfather ( WW 1) My
                    Father ( WW 2 ) My Uncle Korean War. I also honor all those who have 
                    fought in Revolutionary War, Civil War, Spanish American War, WW1, WW 2,
                    Korean War, Vietnam War, Desert Storm, Iraq War, Afghanistan War, all 
                    those men and women who have fought and lost their lives or came home
                    wounded I salute you, your families and my country and Don.

Joe........God Bless America...... Memorial Day 748523
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Memorial Day EmptySat May 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Joe,

I fly my flag everyday!  On July 4th I fly "OLD GLORY" on the 5th I hang a NEW flag.  Replaced my 20 ft. flag pole three time in the last 35 years. I have a spot light that comes on automatically at dusk, so the flag flys 24/7.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Memorial Day EmptySat May 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Hear hear, DK! Likewise Don and Joe! God Bless those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom we enjoy. God Bless their families. May we never forget the debt of honor that we owe them. May we never take for granted their sacrifice or see Memorial Day as just another day off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Memorial Day EmptySat May 24, 2014 11:39 pm

As a child, I remember visiting the cemetery with my parents on Memorial Day.  Veterans graves had small flags posted next to the headstones.  Fortuntely there are still those who celebrate this day for its intended purpose.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Memorial Day EmptySun May 25, 2014 6:18 am

Memorial Day 45518_1380559996225_7879211_n
Clarence William "Bill" Levingston, Jr. 1940-2010
aka "Yellowtail"

You know my brother's story if you've been around a while.  He came home from his war, a decorated hero.

Today I would like to give some space to one of his friends who did not.

King Cameron and Bill became friends while attending Schreiner Institute, a military prep school in Kerrville, Texas.  They were both there on scholarship.  Both were part of a group of friends who were highly ranked officers in the school's corp.  Most members of that group, including Bill and King, went on to pursue military careers.  Bill and King were both pilots, Bill for the Navy, King, the Air Force.  Both were in Vietnam.

King's plane was shot down over North Vietnam, and he was officially listed as MIA.  Eventually his status was changed to Presumed Killed.  Not too many years ago, through DNA testing, his remains were finally identified, and he was sent home, was buried with honors at Arlington Cemetery.  Bill and several other members of that original group of students were part of the services there.   I wish I could remember King's story in more detail.

I had a long visit with those guys, along with King's younger brother, Drake, three years ago at my brother's funeral. 

At least, King's family and friends finally got closure.  There were many families that did not.  And the vets like Bill who came home were not honored as they should have been.

This weekend is for remembering and finally honoring.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Memorial Day EmptySun May 25, 2014 6:25 am

Good memories, Ann.  Too many did not get the public recognition they deserved, but the memories of loved ones live on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Memorial Day Empty

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day
Page 1 of 1