Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

There is no better, best or worst

Go down 
+6
Abe F. March
alice
Shelagh
RetiredName
Pam
dtpollard
10 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

There is no better, best or worst Empty
PostSubject: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 4:19 pm

The publishing rule book has been thrown away. Dick made a post about how the world of publishing is changing when a seasoned author could not get his new book published through his previous publisher and went with Publish America. The fireworks started soon after that.

It is a fact that even multi-book authors are being dropped by their traditional publisher, then they have to decide what direction they will pursue next. ALL options out there are valid today. The bottom line is once your book is out on the market, how it got there is kind of an academic exercise. I have a book through PA and two through iUniverse. Why, I wanted control and retention of my rights on the last two books. I sold the audio rights to one of my books, got an advance and my audio book is in libraries nationwide. It did not matter that I paid to get my book out, what mattered is that I sold enough libraries on the paper version of the book to generate enough demand for an audio version that I was contacted by the acquisitions dept. of an audio publisher. That qualified me for entry into the author's guild and I joined and was accepted. That same book made the ESSENCE bestseller list. Traditional publishers are making room for Sarah Palin, Travis the chimp and whatever other quick hit out there. If the traditional deal is available, take it. The other argument is moot.

Whether you call them vanity, self-publisher, publishing service provider etc. it really does not matter.

If your book is out on the market, congratulations.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Well said, DT. That is the spirit that I love to see around here. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Quote :
ALL options out there are valid today

Not the one that that make you pay either upfront (iUniverse) or on the installment plain (PublishAmerica and their overpriced books).

But yes, the publihing world is changing.

Last edited by cturkel on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Weird formatting)
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 4:42 pm

My book is on the market. You can buy Mr. Planemaker's Flying Machine for $13.02 (£7.55) here:

http://www.lulu.com/content/6134857

The book will be serialised on radio this April, so I have finally got around to self-publishing to provide readers with a reasonably priced copy (the book is still available at various prices on all the on-line stores). I didn't fight with or fall out with PA. They have treated me well from the day I signed a contract.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Congratulations Shelagh.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Congratulations, Shelagh, I am so happy for you and proud of you too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 5:14 pm

cturkel wrote:
Quote :

Not the one that that make you pay either upfront (iUniverse) or on the installment plain (PublishAmerica and their overpriced books).

cturkel,

I usually don't engage in this type of back and forth, but every once in a while, the crap silo fills up. I seem to notice a pattern of sniping on what others are posting and few original thoughts. When something is posted with any hot trigger point of potential controversy, here come the sidetrack express. I/we know how these different companies work, therefore there is no additional enlightenment being brought ot the table. I know that PA charges more per book to make their money up on the back end. I know that I paid for my books to be produced, I paid for it. Let me enlighten you to something. Even with a traditional publisher you pay to get your book published. This is how it works. You get an advance, until your books earns out that avance you don't get any other royalties. Once your books earns out that advance, you get your royalties paid on a scheduled basis. When your book earns out, you have paid for your book to be published. I am paid royalties on my paper book and on my audio book, one is self-published and one is traditional, they are the same book.

This is a zero sum game.

No you don't pay to get your book printed up front with a traditional publisher, but you pay by selling your rights to the publisher. The traditional publisher works on a shared risk basis, some books will earn out the advance, profit beyond that and some will not. Those that do not, wiil have their authors dropped from the roster. No, you don't have to pay the advance back because they are betting that they made a proper judgement when they paid it to you to begin with. If they misfired, that is on them.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 3:38 am

Thanks DT and Alice! Very Happy I don't know if the reduced price will produce any additional sales but it will be an interesting experiment.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 am

Dt,
well said.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:46 am

Turkel, since you say you don't usually engage in back and forth discussions, why don't you put a zipper on that mouth of yours? We have heard it all before and don't need more of it from you. What are your credentials that make you the great authority on the publishing business? Come on, tell us. Unzip that mouth of yours long enough to do that one thing. Tell us what you've done beside spout off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 8:18 am

Very well said DT, Dick, Abe and Shelagh! Alice and I share wishing congratulations and know that it has taken hard work for each of you to get your books out there. You have done splendidly and I hope you enjoy much success! cheers

Mr. Turkel, you would do well to heed Dick's advice. He is the most experienced among us, having made his living writing for many years. HE has knowledge!!

DT, I am truly thrilled for you, and the same for you, Shelagh.

Last edited by zadaconnaway on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks Zada! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 8:11 am

Wow Shelagh, that is very exciting news! Your book at £7.55 on lulu vs £15.50 on Amazon. I had to blink a couple of times to be sure it was real!

There is no better, best or worst 931984
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 am

Ahad,
Shelagh is a magician. She waves her wand and things happen.
How much do you charge for renting that wand, Shelagh?
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 am

dtpollard wrote:
cturkel wrote:
Quote :

cturkel,

I usually don't engage in this type of back and forth, but every once in a while, the crap silo fills up. I seem to notice a pattern of sniping on what others are posting and few original thoughts. When something is posted with any hot trigger point of potential controversy, here come the sidetrack express. I/we know how these different companies work, therefore there is no additional enlightenment being brought ot the table. I know that PA charges more per book to make their money up on the back end. I know that I paid for my books to be produced, I paid for it. Let me enlighten you to something. Even with a traditional publisher you pay to get your book published. This is how it works. You get an advance, until your books earns out that avance you don't get any other royalties. Once your books earns out that advance, you get your royalties paid on a scheduled basis. When your book earns out, you have paid for your book to be published. I am paid royalties on my paper book and on my audio book, one is self-published and one is traditional, they are the same book.

This is a zero sum game.

No you don't pay to get your book printed up front with a traditional publisher, but you pay by selling your rights to the publisher. The traditional publisher works on a shared risk basis, some books will earn out the advance, profit beyond that and some will not. Those that do not, wiil have their authors dropped from the roster. No, you don't have to pay the advance back because they are betting that they made a proper judgement when they paid it to you to begin with. If they misfired, that is on them.

This post by DT should be required reading for all loudmouths and bashers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

Number of posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Dt, I love your post. Nicely said.

Shelagh, I'm so happy for you. Your hard work and persistence is paying off.

Vickie
Back to top Go down
http://www.torylynn.webs.com/torylynn
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks Vickie! Very Happy Yes, there are are no shortcuts or quick fixes.
Back to top Go down
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Dick Stodghill wrote:
dtpollard wrote:
cturkel wrote:
Quote :

cturkel,

This is a zero sum game.

This post by DT should be required reading for all loudmouths and bashers.

Thanks Dick,

What most people fail to understand is that there may be different avenues for different people to reach their goal. Everyone will not be Dan Brown or J. K. Rowling. Most authors, even those with traditional deals still do other things to make ends meet.

There will never be an end to the circular arguments about what is best, but I just wanted to point out that there is no free ride. Publishers are under pressure as this article about Harper Collins closing a division shows:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090210/ap_on_en_ot/books_harpercollins;_ylt=A0wNcwJwn6BJkXkAaCNREhkF

Given the current climate, throwing stones at how someone else got their book published is really not appropriate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There is no better, best or worst   There is no better, best or worst Empty

Back to top Go down

There is no better, best or worst
Page 1 of 1