Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Eggs are safe so spend all your money

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Eggs are safe so spend all your money Empty
PostSubject: Eggs are safe so spend all your money   Eggs are safe so spend all your money EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 8:05 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:

It was bound to happen, of course. After decades of doing everything possible to make people fear the egg, the latest study now reveals that eating them is just fine because they have little if any effect on cholesterol.
Truth be told, it was just one of many ploys by the medical profession to frighten people so they will rush to a clinic or hospital for tests and checkups. Thirty years ago no one ever heard of cholesterol. Now it is a major industry.
The latest fad is the use of acronyms. You might have FRUMP so check it out with the doc. He'll write a prescription for you. If your FRUMP is okay, you may be suffering from PLOOP so take a test and then a pill. On and on it goes, a new one every month or so.
Fear itself has become a major American industry. The medical profession in cahoots with the pharmaceutical companies has made people afraid to eat, drink, smoke or even breath the air. Yet when writing of old friends who listened to the fear mongers, gave up nearly everything they enjoyed and began such things as jogging I nearly always have to precede their name with "the late . . ."
To paraphrase my friend, the late Ross Spencer, it is better to live one day without fear than ten years with it.
#
People spending money they didn't have and buying houses they couldn't afford helped create the financial mess the country is now in. So what is the latest advice to fix the problem? Spend all your money, don't save it. Even if you don't have money, spend it anyway. That's what Herbert Hoover told people to do in 1930 and 1931 and that sure worked out great. A few years ago I wrote about spending money you don't have and mentioned a popular song of those years that included the line "Mister Herbert Hoover says now's the time to buy, so let's have another cup of coffee and let's have another piece of pie." That was sarcasm.
Another friend, the late Art Ealy, used to say that what what this country needs is another Great Depression. Well, Art, it may have begun. We aren't supposed to say that, though. It seems that if millions of people can't pay the rent, make the car payment or even feed the family there is nothing to worry about if we just don't say the D word. I guess that's one way of looking at it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Eggs are safe so spend all your money   Eggs are safe so spend all your money EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 9:43 am

YYep.
People were chicken to eat eggs.
Throwing good money after bad was high finance.
Building a house with 6 bathrooms for two people.
Banning smoking and promoting fast-fat foods.

Is that depression or what?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Eggs are safe so spend all your money   Eggs are safe so spend all your money EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 10:39 am

Ever notice how there is always a "bad guy"? Now that smokers have been duly chastised, the attention has turned to the fat ones among us.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Eggs are safe so spend all your money   Eggs are safe so spend all your money EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 11:36 am

It has always cracked me up how one day a food is the great cure and a week later it will kill you and then again it comes around as the cure all, depending on who does the study.
I especially get a kick out of the commercials for the drugs. The new wonder drug that will cure "whatever", with possible side effects from ingrown toenails, hives, kidney malfunction, blindness, oh yea and your heart might stop, but it will fix the "whatever".

I've kind of figured out that no matter what we do, we're not getting out alive.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Eggs are safe so spend all your money   Eggs are safe so spend all your money EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 11:42 am

Don,
I agree, especially with your last line.."we're not getting out alive."
How often do people read the "side effect" part of drugs? You buy the drug to fix one thing and it creates another problem, as you mentioned. Often you're better off using old-fashioned home remedies based on common sense and natural substances.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Eggs are safe so spend all your money   Eggs are safe so spend all your money EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 3:19 pm

I also get a kick out of those commercials that list side effects far worse than the original problem. And those that end ". . . lasting more than four hours seek immediate medical attention."
Bob Newhart told of discussing those with his comedian friend, Tim Conway, who said, "If I ever have one lasting more than four hours I'll call everybody I know."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Eggs are safe so spend all your money   Eggs are safe so spend all your money EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 6:28 am

That is funny, Dick. If it lasts more than 4 hours, I will call the doctor--right after he gets a cold shower. (Ice cold, that is!)

I eat eggs and always have. Although I only smoke about 1/4 as much as I used to, I am still smoking. My mother started smoking when she was 12. and smokes to this day. She is 81. When someone mentions quitting it only makes me want one more.

I have heard some of the warnings about various drugs and wonder if they are just intended to present symptoms that feed the medical profession. (Or the undertaker?)
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eggs are safe so spend all your money   Eggs are safe so spend all your money Empty

Back to top Go down

Eggs are safe so spend all your money
Page 1 of 1