Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?

Go down 
+5
alj
Abe F. March
alice
E. Don Harpe
joefrank
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 6:37 am

It wasn't too long ago that schools kept hidden records on students.  The records included information about academics, test scores, and discipline and behavior. Teachers, counselors, and administrators were free to write whatever they wanted, but neither the student nor their parents were allowed access.  Teachers, though, were encouraged to check the past records of their students, and the records could be made available to prospective employers and others schools.     That is no longer the case.  Parents and students, at least in Texas, where I have had experiences from both sides, have access to the records, and can add comments to them.  In some instances, they can have portions removed.  That is the way it should be, IMO.  For example, I know of more than a few instances where a child was misdiagnosed by school personnel and the records indicated disorders, learning and/or behavioral, and these inaccurate reports prevented the student from succeeding later in life, or when they moved from one school to another.

What did the schools have to hide?
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:18 am

Abe and Ann, 

Good points!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:50 am

I am through with this subject. I have determined to quit arguing and  trying to persuade others to think as I do.

I am grateful that this privacy concern is not mine.  I consider it a burden I do not need to bear.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:53 am

I am concerned because it does pose a risk for some people; however, I accept the inevitable that privacy of information is long past.  We are now an open book unless we are of the wealthy class that can hide their information still in the global economy and by paying people on the side that keep their information secret.  Even they are not totally immune; they just have the financial resources to hold off the inevitable a little longer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 am

I understand about school records.  If it's about me or my children, it should be available to me.  Period.  Wherever the information is stored.  However, look at how difficult it is for adopted children to get their files and vice versa.  A few things are still closed, likely not for long.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 am

Alice wrote:
I am through with this subject. I have determined to quit arguing and  trying to persuade others to think as I do.

I am grateful that this privacy concern is not mine.  I consider it a burden I do not need to bear.

We've pretty much done it to death, haven't we.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 9:39 am

You got  me back!!!!  I definitely think we should be able to know what they have on us and also a way to correct misinformation.
I would not like to be on record as being a hatchet murderer, because I am not.

It used to be our medical records were not available to us--now they are--much better.

A visiting nurse came to our home following my coronary bypass surgery. 
She asked, 'Do you have depression?"
I answered, "Look at this house, does it look like a depressed person's house?"
She crossed off depression.   
I was sufficiently bothered to ask my Neurologist about it.  He said, " I crossed that one off."

Now I have "anxiety."  Fine, I said I was anxious--my wire broke and I was having to undergo a repeat brain surgery.  If I hadn't been anxious, I'd have been demented.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 10:06 am

The problem with medical notations is that they can impact how we are treated by others and our ability to run for political office or attain other jobs.  Society has not yet caught up with the fact that the brain is a set of cells like any other piece of the body.  It can be broken - and fixed.  I have taken a little blue thyroid pill since I was 35.  I don't like taking it every day but no one holds that against me; I am not at all hesitant to tell the world I take a little thyroid pill.  It's an accepted medication, like a vitamin or a blood pressure pill.  When it comes to medication for a brain disorder such as depression or bipolar disorder or even addictions that can be aided with medication, then the eyebrow raises as though the person is somehow responsible for their illness, somehow defective.  Thus, medical records with anything related to the brain that are made public are detrimental to a person's career in the military and most everywhere else.  No wonder people don't get needed treatment and act out from their disorder.  Information can be freeing and it can also be detrimental.  If we are going to open all private information for anyone to know, then we need to train the population to not judge little children as hyperactive when they are curious and depressives as a hazard in the workplace.  We have a long way to go in that arena.  Once again, the cart is coming before the horse as technology races ahead of the education to use it responsibly.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 10:44 am

I wish all of the information could be  in one place with our social security number  and we could access it and correct or explain it.

It would be nice to see our dentist's report of how our tooth flossing is going. 

If the doctor forgot to tell us the results of  a test we could look and see what it is ourselves. 
I am remembering the doctor who did a ct scan of my abdomen and didn't bother to tell me of a cyst they found on my pancreas.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:03 am

That's not a bad idea, Alice.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:32 am

What's the matter with you all?  We live in a perfect world.  We have perfect democracy, we have or have had perfect parents, we were perfect in school, we married the perfect person...

Someday I hope to not be so perfect so I can become normal.  Now if I can just remember what I wrote.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:39 am

6/18/2013

I don't like the idea of my medical records being out there in Cyber Space,
                  if somone can break into Pentagon records they can get medical records
                  they should be private between you and your Dr....Not the Federal Govt.,
                  it's none of their dam business...

Cheers.......Joe...Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 634186
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:53 am

As Spock once said on Star Trek, "The benefit of the many outweigh the benefit of the few."
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 pm

What scares you, Joe? 
You have told us your medical history.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm

6/18/2013

Nothing scrares me, I don't like the govt. getting too big and
                  intruding on people's lives, We have a right to privacy......

Cheers.Joe...Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 634186
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:33 pm

We just thought we did.  LOL
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 3:46 pm

6/18/2013

The Govt. forgets we're not Europe............

Cheers........Joe.......Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 634186
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Joe,

Have you been to Europe?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 5:01 pm

6/18/2013
                   Thinking of moving where Abe lives, I found the place on the map,
                   my Mother's people came from there.......

Cheers........Joe..Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Why would you go there.  They are Europeans?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 pm

I enjoyed living in Germany when I was there - the 1970's when one US dollar equalled four German Marks.  Our money went four times as far.  Not today! Today, it is the opposite.

For me, if I was going to live anywhere else it would be Panama.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:10 am

I guess it all gets down to, “Do you want to serve the government, or want the government to serve you?”

Every time some thing happens, The government shouts, “Danger, Danger.” People are so afraid of things they start giving up rights, which gives the government more power.

It’s not a new tactic, Hitler used it…it worked for him, and it’s working for this government. After WW2, the people of the free world asked, “Why didn’t the German people stop it?” Well now we know…the people of America are doing the same thing.

People are living in the past. We want to see America as it was, and refuse to believe it’s not that way anymore. Leaders always seem to start off on the right foot, but when it comes to freedom, there are loop holes the greedy can worm into, and change things to their advantage.

When you put a group of people in charge, they will always take the power. Think about this;

Many years ago, and I can’t recall his name, an Englishmen said, “A person in power, must be trained their whole life to lead.” I have always remembered that statement. It made sense to me then, and it still does today.

Why do people go into government? The first President, George Washington was not a good general. The British kicked his butt at almost every turn. You must remember, it was not an easy task to supply the English troops in America from England. Still America was loosing the war. It was the intervention of the French that defeated the English.

Washington became President…all sounds like he was the man of the hour. The men who fought in the war for independence were promised five acres of land, once they won the war. When the father of this great free country became President, He took all that land for himself. People back then knew things were not working. The government was out of hand then, and it still is.

People have revolted in other countries in the past, and the results show things just go from bad, to very bad. People don’t seem to understand, the government is people. They are people just like you, and me. If we became government, we would force others to follow what we think is best for them. And yes, we would also have our little hands in the cookie jar.

The truth is, man can’t solve the problem…we just have to live with it.

I understand most members of the forum don’t believe in the God of the Bible, but here is what he says, “Man can’t guide his own foot steps.” He says he is the only one who can fix the problem, and says he will. The government is made up of just people. It dose not matter who the people are, none would be any better than the other. None of us are designed to lead.

Just be happy I’m not leading.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:17 am

Dom,

I believe in God.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 am

We do not have a Theocracy now and need someone to be in charge.  President Obama has been  maligned and undermined at every turn.

This country is ungovernable.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 12:04 pm

I think it's wrong to judge whether a person believes in God, and especially an entire forum!  "God of the Bible."  For those of us who believe in God, we may believe in a God greater than any man recorded in the Bible.  The Bible is limiting and masculine.  Made in the image of God means that God is all things, male and female every degree of those two terms, sickly and well, and any other definition of the human race.  God is everywhere, therefore infinite.  The God spirit doesn't sit in between pages in books but is a living spirit to whom we can cry out in need and thank with gratitude and find in our own heart and the heart of those around us.  All that is good in this world is God.  The Spirit of God is not a painting of a large, white man with a flowing white beard.  We are made in God's image not He in ours.  We live surrounded by the artwork created by this fabulous being, beyond comprehension.  In my church we sing a song, "Every thought is a prayer."  We never walk alone.  I always say there are no agnostics or atheists in a dangerous squall in a small sailboat at sea. For some people reaching for the power of a Spiritual God within takes years to accomplish; for others it comes sooner.  We all have our own life's path.  It's what is right for us at the time.  We do not need to seek God.  God is there, everywhere.  We might not feel the working of that spirit when we start to judge other's beliefs because their path to spiritual understanding is different than ours.

Life is change.  Change is inevitable.  It may feel wrong just as the body rebels at a new exercise; but over time, change feels like the status quo.  Those things we abhor today may be tomorrow's blessings, though hard to imagine in some cases.

Revolutions come peacefully as well as in wars.  Everyone has a different perspective on the reasons for power and discord.  Participation in the political process is the best way to help control change in the direction that one believes is correct.

The entire world changes just as nature and seasons change.  However, I believe the natural world seeks harmony and balance.  The mosquito caught by the fish, though, dies.  Where there is joy for some there is sorrow for others.  Balance is not always fair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?   Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Time to say goodbye to Social Security cards ?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next