Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

I wasn't going to do it, but I must.

Go down 
+6
alj
dkchristi
Don Stephens
joefrank
Shelagh
Betty Fasig
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

I wasn't going to do it, but I must. Empty
PostSubject: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm

I was not going to whine about being sick. I thought it would pass in a few days. It is now two weeks and I feel like whining and cursing and crying out loud. I am so tired of snot. I am so tired of coughing, I am so tired of musinex, I am so tired of albuterol and alkaseltzer pm and David's healing concoctions. I am so tired of doctors.

Ahhhhhh! I feel better now.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Sorry to hear that you've been unwell, Betty. I missed you on the forum. I hope you feel better soon.

I wasn't going to do it, but I must. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl-6bAUUNEDF0CdN8Urx3YGpIrf_1TfuDKByO8g_ZkXn-aznw1
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 4:01 pm

1/10/2013

Betty...

For you..

Love Joe & Dusty

I wasn't going to do it, but I must. Get_we10
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Being sick sucks!!

Get well Soon!!

Sometimes whining is good for the soul!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Flu? Joe finds such great pictures. Do get well soon; our weather is too grand to be sick!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Sorry, Betty, but I'm about to add to David's healing concoctions. I think I've said before, I came across this dish while I was home sick with the flu and watching TV cooking shows. I watched the guy (Rick Bayless, I think) put together a far more complicated version, and as I watched, this voice inside my head said "Eating this dish will cure you." So I pulled myself out of bed, dressed (sort of) and dragged myself to the nearest grocer. Here, once again, is the cheater's version for those who don't feel well enough to cook:

Chicken Tinga

1 rotisserie chicken, boned and shredded ( these days, you can sometimes by pre-shredded cooked chicken. If it's available, use it.)
1 can plum tomatoes
1 medium-sized diced potato (any kind - don't bother to peel)
1 each color bell peppers - get them pre-chopped if you can - this is an emergency
1 diced onion - again, pre-diced if available
3 cloves minced or pressed garlic (also available prepped)
1 pepper from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce ( or 1/4 teaspoon of dried chipotle powder) (not optional)
white wine and/or chicken stock (canned is good)
tortillas ( corn or flour) or cooked rice (I buy already cooked brown rice even when I'm fit and healthy because I am lousy at cooking rice)

Saute the potatoes and veggies in a nice-sized skillet, or if you're really feeling awful, or your soul-mate can't cook, nuke the da**ed stuff. Add wine and cook out alcohol; add stock and chicken and pepper and canned tomatoes and let simmer 'til the flavors blend - this is even better the second day, if you have any left.

It is a sure-fire way to heal colds and flu - far better, healther, and more effective than albuterol or even alka-seltzer.

It goes together faster and easier than it may sound. It has always worked for me.

And Lynn served it on Christmas Eve with her tamales, at one of my kids' dreaded mom-and-dad-in-the-same house-for-a-whole-dinner-affraid holiday gatherings, and we all bonded, even.

Meanwhile - whining is a good thing, too.

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 pm

I wasn't going to do it, but I must. 588578Get better fast, Betty!

We all love you.I wasn't going to do it, but I must. 588578I wasn't going to do it, but I must. 588578I wasn't going to do it, but I must. 588578I wasn't going to do it, but I must. 588578flowerflowerflowerflowerflower
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Been busy, busy, busy... but hope that by the time you read this post you are feeling better.

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Feel better, Betty!

My dad used to swear by red wine (a good cup of it) with about five teaspoonfuls of sugar in it (Honey can be substituted, I suppose) heated and stirred until it boils, then poured immediately into a cup and sipped as hot as you can stand it just before going to bed. It makes you sweat profusely and shortens the cold/fly symptoms. If all else fails, it makes you feel better about being sick. (I actually prefer hot toddies made with a cup of apple juice or cider and about an ounce of brandy/rum/gin/ or vodka, a couple of teaspoons of sugar and cinnamon to taste, heated to a boil and sipped very hot. It helps clear the chest congestion and eases sleep.)

If you don't drink alcohol, the toddy formula with no alcohol also works fairly well.

FEEL BETTER!
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Thank you all for the lovely wishes and recipes and kindness of your beautiful hearts. Joe and Shelagh, thanks for the cards and Annie, the recipe is saved as well as Victor's toddy recipe.

How beautiful in spirit you all are. I do feel better. I am glad that I whined and you all gave me the best pats on the head and the good and loving advice.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Ranting and venting helps, Betty. You did the right thing. Carrying all that baggage when you don't feel well is an added burden.

Chicken soup is the answer for some people. Red wine is the answer for others. None will cure, but will help make one feel better while the body does it's thing resisting the virus and allowing it to run its course.

As far as I know, there is no known cure for the cold or flu. Prevention is the best remedy, however once you have it, getting over it takes time and patience.

I trust you are feeling better. Have a glass of wine, hot as Victor suggested,
My father who was forbidden to drink for religious reasons, always had a bottle of wiskey in the pantry for medicinal purposes and my mother put wiskey in his tea. That caused him to perspire. Sweating it out was an old-fashioned remedy.

Whatever works to relieve the misery of the cold or flu, do it.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Actually, in the case of the chicken soup, which has many of the same ingredients as the tinga, there have been studies to show that the combination of ingredients really does have a therapeutic effect on the symptoms.

I would venture to guess the same is true for a touch of alcohol.

I think I need a dose of warm milk, myself. Maybe then I will get sleepy enough to end this very good but very long day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I wasn't going to do it, but I must.   I wasn't going to do it, but I must. Empty

Back to top Go down

I wasn't going to do it, but I must.
Page 1 of 1