Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Cain knew how to write a story

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Cain knew how to write a story Empty
PostSubject: Cain knew how to write a story   Cain knew how to write a story EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Cain knew how to write a story I_outg19Jackie was somewhat perturbed when I bought two more bags of pipe tobacco this morning. That makes 13 in my stash and each contains 16 ounces of natural cavendish. Now I have 208 ounces in reserve. I use about eight ounces a week.
She said, "What am I going to do with this after you're gone?"

"Where am I going?"
"Oh, just go wait outside."
When we got to the car she said, "Do you want me to drive? You're tired."
"I promise not to have more than two accidents on the way home."

"The first time you have an accident I'm taking your driver's license away."
While laughing, I couldn't help notice she wasn't smiling.
Without intending to, after arriving home we watched an old movie, Too Many Husbands, with Jean Arthur, Fred MacMurray and Melvin Douglas. I mentioned that MacMurray was in a lot of silly films but his best was deadly serious - Double Indemnity. After naming several of James M. Cain's great novels I said I liked the title of one of his short stories,
The Baby in the Icebox.
"
It's food for thought," I said.
"Would you care to restate that?"
H'mmm. Baby in the icebox, food for thought. Well, maybe I should.
Then I remembered that after reading several Norman Mailer novels, Tom Wolfe wrote that Mailer should read some James M. Cain and learn how to write a novel. Mailer was outraged, of course, but Tom Wolfe was right.
Cain's best known novels are The Postman Always Rings Twice, Mildred Pierce, and Double Indemnity, but he wrote others equally as enthralling.
Tom Wolfe wrote this as part of a lengthy introduction to a reissue of the big three: "Cain's trick here - well, it is no trick. It is a feat, one that dates back at least as far as Crime and Punishment. Namely, in book after book Cain puts you inside the skin of one utterly egocentric heel after another, losers who will stop at nothing - and makes you care about them."

The underlying theme of Cain's work was betrayal. Pace and forward movement of a story were paramount. Details of scenery and surroundings are minimal. Don't take my word for it, take Tom Wolfe's. Long after his death, Cain's work is available nearly everywhere. Missing it would be a crime.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Cain knew how to write a story   Cain knew how to write a story EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 10:30 pm

Love it. Your ability to tell a story about a story gets better as time goes by.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Cain knew how to write a story   Cain knew how to write a story EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Love it. Your ability to tell a story about a story gets better as time goes by.

I agree with Abe wholeheartedly. By the way, did you have any accidents on the way home from the store? Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cain knew how to write a story   Cain knew how to write a story Empty

Back to top Go down

Cain knew how to write a story
Page 1 of 1